Smoking in Chiang Mai

Jason20142014

I'm thinking of going to Thailand for the first time and settling in Chiang Mai for a few months, based on some positive things I’ve seen and read on the internet. What's the situation with smoking, am I going to be constantly exposed to secondhand smoke in bars, restaurants and other public places? Are there any laws about it, and are they enforced?

Are there any non-smoking hotels? -i.e. no smoking anywhere inside the building.

We've had a smoking ban in all indoors public places here in Canada for ten years, don't think I could go back. How does Bangkok compare in that regard?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many bars are open air, and as I also dislike breathing other's 2nd hand smoke, I try and sit near a door.

I've found that in hotels which have central air conditioning, it does tend to circulate. But many smaller places such as guest houses, have individual split air-cons. If you need to increase the oxygen level, then open a window for a while. Split air cons do not bring in any outside air, as you no doubt know.

There are a lot of signs appearing now, warning of a ฿2000 fine for smoking, esp in the red buses.

I went to a snooker hall the other night. Enjoyed my time there becoz a big sign on the door said 'no smoking'. I did notice ash trays all about but not until 45 mins had passed did anyone light up. I left then but did point out to the service girl the sign on the door.

The open air restaurants are risky to face 2nd hand smoke. No law works well in Thailand, even there is a 2000 THB fine for smoking in the public or open burning in municipal area. Haven't seen anybody been caught for this sake once.

Like you I do not like breathing in cigarette smoke, which I found to be a big problem when I lived in Spain. But it doesnt bother me at all in Chiang Mai. Dont let that be a reason not to come here.

• Like 1

I find it pretty easy to avoid. I like a/c places anyway but even in the open air places you can usually sit away from smokers.

There aren't as many smokers as there used to be. I think the habit is dying out, so to speak.

your choice of bars will be limited if you go with that idea.most people smoke and the laws are relaxed

"Relaxed"? I think most laws here are 'advisory only"

I've come across one restaurant with good AC, but I did an about turn and left when I saw the smokers in there. To each their own.

Smoking has been banned in all Thailand restaurants, bars and other indoor public areas throughout Thailand for 7 years. Open air bars and restaurants are exempt. Some hotels are 100% smoke free though most offer both smoking and non-smoking rooms.

Some indoor bars and other places do allow smoking, but most places you would likely go do not.

I don't like to be around smokers either and it is generally not an issue here in Thailand.

I rarely even see smokers and I am on foot most of the time.

How ever I do not go into bars so I have no idea of what it is like in them other than one I eat at occasionally and as yet to see some one smoking there.

Coming from British Columbia my self I can safely say you will see more smokers there than here.

With the exception of the pub's which the few I had been in back home had a separate walled off vented area for smokers.

Smoking has been banned in all Thailand restaurants, bars and other indoor public areas throughout Thailand for 7 years. Open air bars and restaurants are exempt. Some hotels are 100% smoke free though most offer both smoking and non-smoking rooms.

Some indoor bars and other places do allow smoking, but most places you would likely go do not.

I don't like to be around smokers either and it is generally not an issue here in Thailand.

Finally, someone answers the OP's question.

MMan is correct. Anti-smoking legislation is quite well observed in Thailand, meaning that in the vast majority of bars, restaurants, hotels - and ALL retail establishments - you will be hard pressed to find anyone breaking the law. Smokers are allowed at outdoor bars and restaurants, meaning you sometimes have to go indoors for some fresh air. But as MMan and one or two others say, the invasion of your air by cigarette smokers is hardly an issue in Thailand.

pj

• Like 2

The cigarette smoke won't kill you but the smoke from the burning of the fields will..... as well as the exhaust from autos and scooters.

You've got that the wrong way around. Professor Doll proved beyond doubt that smokers and their families contract cancer and die earlier than those not exposed to cigarette smoke.

Also diesel smoke which contains fine particulates is a known killer.

Burning rice fields and Burmese and Indonesian forests yet to be proven.

The cigarette smoke won't kill you but the smoke from the burning of the fields will..... as well as the exhaust from autos and scooters.

You've got that the wrong way around. Professor Doll proved beyond doubt that smokers and their families contract cancer and die earlier than those not exposed to cigarette smoke.

I think we can assume that the OP is not a smoker, doesn't live in a home full of smoking family members, and does his best to avoid smokey public places. So none of that applies.

Burning rice fields and Burmese and Indonesian forests yet to be proven.

How did the poster get it the wrong way around then?

Open air bars and restaurants may well allow their customers to smoke, but they certainly aren't exempt. Smoking is forbidden in any establishments serving food, indoor or out.

http://www.thaisabai.org/2012/11/thailands-anti-smoking-laws/

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

your choice of bars will be limited if you go with that idea.most people smoke and the laws are relaxed

I think most restaurants for sure don't allow smoking, particularly inside. I can't think of any where it is allowed, can you? I can't really think of any bars that allow it either. Limited maybe, but not much.

By the way, before the knee-jerk responders get a chance, I don't mind cigarette smoking that much, but like most non-smokers, given a choice I prefer smoke-free. I do loathe cigars though.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Stay in Canada. There's a lot more you won't like if you're a little old lady.

If you must make the trip, be sure to schedule around the hot season and the smoky season and the rainy season and the low season and the high season and the dry season.

It's your choice when you see a pile of garbage as to whether you walk around it or step over it. Oh, and the movement you'll see is just rats in the pile.

Street vendors will pick their noses every time just before they handle your food. They'll also have a pet dog, cat or monkey walking around in your food.

Actually you'd prefer Paris. Perhaps the Champs Elysees where they have marvelous outdoor sidewalk seating all up and down, and everything is 1st world standard.

Enjoy.

Really not fair to call smokers "a pile of garbage" they are just drug addicts and as such deserve compassion, sympathy and a place to injest their drug. The Thai smoking laws are usually respected so the OP should not be affected.

• Like 2

Stay in Canada. There's a lot more you won't like if you're a little old lady.

If you must make the trip, be sure to schedule around the hot season and the smoky season and the rainy season and the low season and the high season and the dry season.

It's your choice when you see a pile of garbage as to whether you walk around it or step over it. Oh, and the movement you'll see is just rats in the pile.

Street vendors will pick their noses every time just before they handle your food. They'll also have a pet dog, cat or monkey walking around in your food.

Actually you'd prefer Paris. Perhaps the Champs Elysees where they have marvelous outdoor sidewalk seating all up and down, and everything is 1st world standard.

Enjoy.

Really not fair to call smokers "a pile of garbage" they are just drug addicts and as such deserve compassion, sympathy and a place to injest their drug. The Thai smoking laws are usually respected so the OP should not be affected.

In Phuket town, the smoking laws are respected by the Thais.

As soon as you get to the touristy places, these laws are totally ignored by all tourists, and tolerated by business owners...

• Like 1

My cafe is completely smoke-free and I enforce it strictly. Try "The Spot" in Doi Saket. We serve western foods; breakfasts and lunches. All meals are cooked on a western style grill and only healthy ingredients are used. Your hostess and cook is the lovely Aleena. Hope to see you soon.