Jason20142014

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The cigarette smoke won't kill you..."

The cigarette smoke won't kill him for the reasons mentioned above. As for the burning - you simply don't know if it will kill him or not, as you admitted yourself.

Well, for anyone to say that cigarette smoke will not kill you (in time) then they're avoiding the facts.

Even in the absence of scientific facts and data, I could ask why did all my friends and colleagues who'd smoked since their teens, all step off this planet before I retired? I could list the various cancers they had, starting with the tongue, but it sounds somewhat morbid.

Smokers will always come up with atypical examples of someone who smoked and were still going strong at age 103, but the fact remains that t's a killer.

In Thailand, the average age of male death has increased considerably in recent years. In Indonesia, where they smoke a foul mix of tobacco and clove, and extra nicotine added to ensure addiction, it's still in the low 50s.

But the OP doesn't smoke.

Many laws in Thailand are ignored, so that is not going to protect you. This is not Canada and most likely you are going to be exposed to cigarette smoke pretty regularly.

Not only would he be exposed to the smoke, he would also be exposed to many who complain they cannot light up in a restaurant.

Can't say as I have heard any complaints other than on Thai Visa. They have people who complain to have some thing to do. Also the ones who want every thing like back home.

For sure know that there is not that many smokers here in Chiang Mai.

if you don't go to bars how do you know that there are not many smokers in chiang mai? as someone who goes to a lot of bars i think that the percentage is pretty high to be honest. and that's between thais, expats and tourists. but also think that for non-smokers it's pretty easy to avoid in CM.

Now let me get this straight. All the bars are full of smokers and complainers. Geckos isn't and they have good food. Of course now that I think of it Mad Dog and the UN Irish pub never had any when I was in them after 10:30 in the morning for breakfast.

On a side note I was talking to a Thai friend of mine and she told me that in the Thai culture being drunk was more acceptable than smoking. I guess that is why I don't see a lot of Thais smoking. The occasional one and it is so rare it takes me a minute to realize they are smoking.. Are they mostly farong bars you go into and when the police make their occasional half hearted attempts at closing time do they get tea money from the smokers?

"The cigarette smoke won't kill you..."

The cigarette smoke won't kill him for the reasons mentioned above. As for the burning - you simply don't know if it will kill him or not, as you admitted yourself.

Well, for anyone to say that cigarette smoke will not kill you (in time) then they're avoiding the facts.

Even in the absence of scientific facts and data, I could ask why did all my friends and colleagues who'd smoked since their teens, all step off this planet before I retired? I could list the various cancers they had, starting with the tongue, but it sounds somewhat morbid.

Smokers will always come up with atypical examples of someone who smoked and were still going strong at age 103, but the fact remains that t's a killer.

In Thailand, the average age of male death has increased considerably in recent years. In Indonesia, where they smoke a foul mix of tobacco and clove, and extra nicotine added to ensure addiction, it's still in the low 50s.

But the OP doesn't smoke.

You are right he doesn't smoke.

I am not up to date nor interested enough to follow up on it but seems to me there was researchers about 8 years ago claiming second hand smoke was just as bad for you as first hand smoke. I guerss I could go on the internet and find a bunch of studies that say that is right. Also a bunch saying it is wrong. Myself I don't care I am not around it that much. I have a friend who smokes and if we are out and he wants to smoke he will go out side with no complaints. He even goes out side at his home.

I am not a hypocrite but I do like to say negative things about it. When I quit my 30 year 3 pack a day habit I swore if I couldn't be around smokers I wouldn't quit.

I think a lot of Millennials were raised on the joysticks of video games, and not outside in the elements. They seem extra sensitive to the smoke. They should actually look in the mirror and figure out why they are the laughing stock of HR Departments across the globe, and why they have a negative net worth. If you live here in March and April; you are basically smoking a pack a day. The oldest company on the New York Stock Exchange is Lorillard; a tobacco company. It yields over 4%...if you can't beat 'em; join 'em. The American/Canadian/ and Euro-Trash chicks would average 90 KG if it weren't for the ciggies.

The people that have given themselves Type II Diabetes are way more costly to the healthcare system.

Please don't piss my grandma off......

post-37570-0-98563000-1404316722_thumb.j

• Like 1

I am not up to date nor interested enough to follow up on it but seems to me there was researchers about 8 years ago claiming second hand smoke was just as bad for you as first hand smoke. I guerss I could go on the internet and find a bunch of studies that say that is right. Also a bunch saying it is wrong. Myself I don't care I am not around it that much. I have a friend who smokes and if we are out and he wants to smoke he will go out side with no complaints. He even goes out side at his home.

I am not a hypocrite but I do like to say negative things about it. When I quit my 30 year 3 pack a day habit I swore if I couldn't be around smokers I wouldn't quit.

I agree about the dangers of passive smoking, but read the thread - the OP obviously doesn't like smoke and goes to lengths to avoid it. He presumably does not live in a house full of smokers. Passive smoking is highly unlikely to kill him, as he doesn't passive smoke.

don't worry smoking is elegal in hotels and restaurants, smoking is only allowed outside, also very few Thais smoke and is generaly frowned upon.

"also very few Thais smoke and is generaly frowned upon."

You are joking aren't you?

I agree about the dangers of passive smoking, but read the thread - the OP obviously doesn't like smoke and goes to lengths to avoid it. He presumably does not live in a house full of smokers. Passive smoking is highly unlikely to kill him, as he doesn't passive smoke.

"I agree about the dangers of passive smoking,"

Study finds no clear link between lung cancer and second-hand smoke - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Edited by fasteddie

One study finds no "clear" link. Gee, that tells us - nothing.

The tobacco CEO's that swore before congress that they believed smoking was not addictive also had some studies.

There are plenty of studies to show similar results.

Just consider what percentage of people grew up in a house with at least one smoker, or worked with a smoker, or shared confined spaces with smokers regularly?

If second hand smoke was so horrendous vast tracts (50%+) of the adult population would be dying of lung cancers. Only 30%, of all lung cancers are attributed to smoking anyway.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I will add a gripe! Why does a smoker think it is OK to come into bar, restaurant and light up next to me? Ask if it is OK. Dunderheads! Can I fart on them? 5555

You my dear man, can feel free to fart, as long and as loud as you please. God help you if you have the squirts.

The tobacco CEO's that swore before congress that they believed smoking was not addictive also had some studies.

Just consider what percentage of people grew up in a house with at least one smoker, or worked with a smoker, or shared confined spaces with smokers regularly?

If second hand smoke was so horrendous vast tracts (50%+) of the adult population would be dying of lung cancers. Only 30%, of all lung cancers are attributed to smoking anyway.

Apparently you think lung cancer is the only problem caused by tobacco smoke. You could easily learn much more, but why would you?

But the point of this thread is that it is not difficult to avoid the smokers and their lame, tortured, arguments.

You sound like a lot of fun! You remind me of the people at home. LMFAO

One of the reasons I like Thailand is the easygoing lifestyle of people.

That's a First world concern... anyway what about all the second hand smoke from car exhausts and all the burning of the land in Chang mai lol

Good luck your going to need it.unsure.png

Many laws in Thailand are ignored, so that is not going to protect you. This is not Canada and most likely you are going to be exposed to cigarette smoke pretty regularly.

Not only would he be exposed to the smoke, he would also be exposed to many who complain they cannot light up in a restaurant.

Can't say as I have heard any complaints other than on Thai Visa. They have people who complain to have some thing to do. Also the ones who want every thing like back home.

For sure know that there is not that many smokers here in Chiang Mai.

98% of the Europeans in CM smoke. I counted!! 555

That's because they suffered the fate of my smoking friends and had not only lung cancer, who grew up in an age of ignorance, were not discouraged to smoke, and smokes were cheap.

My ex-smoking friends, now passed away when they were in their late fifties and early sixties, had tongue cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer, throat cancer. The photos on those cigarette packets are not photoshopped!

Why do you think the biggest hospital in all of Indonesia, is the Cancer hospital? It's there because it's needed.

For goodness sake, admit that smoking is a fool's game and stop waffling on! w00t.gif

• Like 1

Taking drugs is illegal & you can get the death penalty

That's really not true.... Yes, prison sentencing can be very harsh for drug possession in Thailand but the more severe ones are the ones who are caught with large quantities and are distributing.

BTW, I don't think there's been a single execution in Thailand over the last 10 years.

Study finds no clear link between lung cancer and second-hand smoke - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Well that's the passive smoking myth put to bed then. I certainly hope you emailed the link to the WHO.

the idiots that find that smoke does not kill

are murderers !!!

WHO figures prove it

remember doctors used to say smoking is good for you

brainless idiots , sponsered by big tabacoo.

I haven't had an issue at all with cigarette smoke in CM, not so many people who go to small restaurants smoke or on the street (I don't hang out in bars), typically if there is a smoker they're asked to go on the street or outside. Many places are open air so it doesn't bother me at all. BUT- air quality in March/April is from what I've heard horrible when people are burning fields, so avoid that time.

Well that's the passive smoking myth put to bed then. I certainly hope you emailed the link to the WHO.

Sorry the link doesn't appear to work so here's the gist.

"There is "no clear link" between secondhand smoke and lung cancer, a study led by researchers at Stanford University has found.

After a decade-long study of more than 76,000 women, the researchers concluded that while there is still a strong association between smoking and lung cancer, there is no significant relationship between the cancer and exposure to passive smoke."

Now if you're thinking a university like Stanford has fixed the results, up to you.

"There is "no clear link" between secondhand smoke and lung cancer, a study led by researchers at Stanford University has found.

After a decade-long study of more than 76,000 women, the researchers concluded that while there is still a strong association between smoking and lung cancer, there is no significant relationship between the cancer and exposure to passive smoke."

Now if you're thinking a university like Stanford has fixed the results, up to you.

Passive smoking is a non-issue because a study failed to find a link? Why do governments have passive smoking legislation - did they somehow miss the study? Can I exhale a lungful of smoke into your open mouth?

Whether it kills me or not, it is obnoxious when I inhale the smoke others exhale. It is unsanitary and it gags me and makes my eating, or just life, unpleasant.

Why is it unsanitary?

Would you feel safer if a non-smoking Guinean breathed near you right now?

I haven't had an issue at all with cigarette smoke in CM, not so many people who go to small restaurants smoke or on the street (I don't hang out in bars), typically if there is a smoker they're asked to go on the street or outside. Many places are open air so it doesn't bother me at all. BUT- air quality in March/April is from what I've heard horrible when people are burning fields, so avoid that time.

As a smoker, if I go to restaurants where smoking is banned, I'll smoke outside, the inconvenience is minimal and it doesn't bother me, Same for bars that enforce it.

If, as a non-smoker, you see people smoking in a bar and still go in, and then moan about it, frankly you're a bit of an a r s e.

It's not hard to avoid cigarette smoking in Chiang Mai, and as others have pointed out there are often worse things to smell or breathe.

• Like 2

Passive smoking is a non-issue because a study failed to find a link? Why do governments have passive smoking legislation - did they somehow miss the study? Can I exhale a lungful of smoke into your open mouth?

"Why do governments have passive smoking legislation"

So in your opinion, governments are always right?

"Can I exhale a lungful of smoke into your open mouth?"

Don't be so childish!

"Why do governments have passive smoking legislation"

So in your opinion, governments are always right?

"Can I exhale a lungful of smoke into your open mouth?"

Don't be so childish!

Governments follow prevailing medical opinion rather than the findings of a single opposing study. And I'll be as childish as I like thank you.