Smoking in Chiang Mai

Jason20142014

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't had an issue at all with cigarette smoke in CM, not so many people who go to small restaurants smoke or on the street (I don't hang out in bars), typically if there is a smoker they're asked to go on the street or outside. Many places are open air so it doesn't bother me at all. BUT- air quality in March/April is from what I've heard horrible when people are burning fields, so avoid that time.

Back to the topic?

This thread seems to have gone deep into the science of sickness caused by tobacco smoke.

I agree 100%, March/April can be unpleasant, in fact it can be so bad that aircraft are diverted, but that is rare.

It was fairly bad this year but, depending on local winds etc, not bad everywhere, every day.

We went to dinner with friends in CM the other night, near the night market. One friend was a smoker, the place was big and open, lots of air. Some people did smoke but it was not a problem, there was plenty of air movement due to the electric fans and you couldn't even smell it.

I hate the smell with the passion that only an ex smoker can have, even though I last smoked 30 years ago.

I did smoke a hell of a lot though, 60 or more per day was not unusual for me.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Must admit ive had a Few Chuckles thanks to the Nannies. This Ferang was smoking in e Temple when the Nutter sported him, well downwind from us. the Nutter walked, no strided all the way over and started ARM Wafting. I presume it was his Wife sitting next to Me and she apologised to Me. He Gets a Bit Stupid at Times. Then he came back complaining theFerang told him to F/O. Good for Him i said ,hes ony hurting himself down there.

just to stir it up a bit more,i see non smoking notices are now all over walking street on sunday,and lets be honest there must be thousands of people go there on sunday for the market, suppose the smokers will have to go in to a resturant to smoke.

just to stir it up a bit more,i see non smoking notices are now all over walking street on sunday,and lets be honest there must be thousands of people go there on sunday for the market, suppose the smokers will have to go in to a resturant to smoke.

And who is enforcing the ban? 555555 whistling.gif

It's been a no-smoking zone for years. I used to go every week and didn't see people smoking in the street.

And who is enforcing the ban? Probably the smokers, themselves. Most people are considerate of the rules and the comfort of others 555555 whistling.gif

• Like 2

It's been a no-smoking zone for years. I used to go every week and didn't see people smoking in the street.

And who is enforcing the ban? Probably the smokers, themselves. Most people are considerate of the rules and the comfort of others 555555 whistling.gif

I have a bridge for sale. Wanna buy it? 55555555 rolleyes.gif

Rare to see a smoker on walking street, usually also drinking a big chang.... seriously in that dense of crowd only an anus cavity would light -up, the chance of a bump and burn is too great as well as the smoke.

• Like 1

I do not agree with people who smoke in areas where smoking is prohibited such as enclosed spaces. But some anti-smoking activists are pushing it too far and worry too much! Arguing with such group is like arguing with the gay and pc people in which you can't win!

Whether it kills me or not, it is obnoxious when I inhale the smoke others exhale. It is unsanitary and it gags me and makes my eating, or just life, unpleasant.

Why is it unsanitary?

Would you feel safer if a non-smoking Guinean breathed near you right now?

Have had a Guinean GF. Why don't you like Guineans???? What are you that you have such sanitary breath?

IT brings up an interesting question. Does air with smoke in it linger longer? Is it less likely to disperse?

I do not agree with people who smoke in areas where smoking is prohibited such as enclosed spaces. But some anti-smoking activists are pushing it too far and worry too much! Arguing with such group is like arguing with the gay and pc people in which you can't win!

Uh? I certainly don't accuse YOU of being PC. You seem to have a problem with a lot of people. And you want to win! Whatever that means.

Uh? I certainly don't accuse YOU of being PC. You seem to have a problem with a lot of people. And you want to win! Whatever that means.

That certainly seems your attitude!...wanting to win with your sanctimoious pontification as shown in your post quoted below:

"Whether it kills me or not, it is obnoxious when I inhale the smoke others exhale. It is unsanitary and it gags me and makes my eating, or just life, unpleasant."

My advice to you is to get away from places where people smoke and don't be sissy-like complaining how sanitized you are while breathing all the exhaust in the air!

• Like 1

Try arguing with smokers or other drug addicts. You can't win but they sure do lose.

I'm not against smokers, I used to smoke, and enjoyed it greatly. But I also know, as an ex-smoker, that you don't need any research to know that smoking is bad for you. You can feel it constricting your lungs & just in general making you sick. If you are a smoker, that's your choice, there are some great benefits to smoking, but please don't try to deny that smoking also causes lung cancer & respiratory and heart problems. And please - if we respect your choice to smoke - please don't pretend that it isn't unhealthy & unpleasant for those around you, or accuse them of being the "puritan police." It has been well established in the US that as soon as smoking in public places is banned deaths from heart attacks go down. So - yes, please enjoy your high, but do so in a manner that doesn't place others at risk - in a very well ventilated/open area unless everyone else there is a smokers. And don't even think about smoking in an enclosed area around children, if you do that you are really scum. Smokers I see here in CM are very responsible, for the most part they smoke lightly and when they do ask those with them and the hosts of the establishment if it's OK; if it's posted no-smoking (like Walking Street) they respect that and don't light up. At the same time people here are super OK if you do smoke, I've never seen anyone try to shame a smoker for smoking or make it into a moral issue, maybe they direct you to another place, but since so much is open air and relatively few people smoke, it's not that inconvenient for anyone. It's not hard at all for everyone to get along. The bottom line is, though, that it's *your* habit, not everyone else's, so you have to take the responsibility for ensuring it's not bothering other people.

If you happen to find that the costs of smoking outweigh the benefits for you, I encourage you in your efforts to give it up; it's very difficult but once I did I kicked myself for not doing so earlier. I feel so much more energy, and no longer have any of the respiratory problems that plagued me when I smoked; or the pain in my chest. It feels good to feel healthy and be able to engage in physical activities with more gusto. And there are many products available (gum, the patch, e-cigarettes) which enable you to feel the effects of nicotine without the harm from smoke - many people I know continue to use these well past the recommended period (years, not months) and why not, they get the high without the most harmful side effects.

I'm not against smokers, I used to smoke, and enjoyed it greatly. But I also know, as an ex-smoker, that you don't need any research to know that smoking is bad for you. You can feel it constricting your lungs & just in general making you sick. If you are a smoker, that's your choice, there are some great benefits to smoking, but please don't try to deny that smoking also causes lung cancer & respiratory and heart problems. And please - if we respect your choice to smoke - please don't pretend that it isn't unhealthy & unpleasant for those around you, or accuse them of being the "puritan police." It has been well established in the US that as soon as smoking in public places is banned deaths from heart attacks go down. So - yes, please enjoy your high, but do so in a manner that doesn't place others at risk - in a very well ventilated/open area unless everyone else there is a smokers. And don't even think about smoking in an enclosed area around children, if you do that you are really scum. Smokers I see here in CM are very responsible, for the most part they smoke lightly and when they do ask those with them and the hosts of the establishment if it's OK; if it's posted no-smoking (like Walking Street) they respect that and don't light up. At the same time people here are super OK if you do smoke, I've never seen anyone try to shame a smoker for smoking or make it into a moral issue, maybe they direct you to another place, but since so much is open air and relatively few people smoke, it's not that inconvenient for anyone. It's not hard at all for everyone to get along. The bottom line is, though, that it's *your* habit, not everyone else's, so you have to take the responsibility for ensuring it's not bothering other people.

If you happen to find that the costs of smoking outweigh the benefits for you, I encourage you in your efforts to give it up; it's very difficult but once I did I kicked myself for not doing so earlier. I feel so much more energy, and no longer have any of the respiratory problems that plagued me when I smoked; or the pain in my chest. It feels good to feel healthy and be able to engage in physical activities with more gusto. And there are many products available (gum, the patch, e-cigarettes) which enable you to feel the effects of nicotine without the harm from smoke - many people I know continue to use these well past the recommended period (years, not months) and why not, they get the high without the most harmful side effects.

There are some great benefits to smoking??? Like what? You have got to be kidding.

• Like 1

There are some great benefits to smoking??? Like what? You have got to be kidding.

Weight control. Think one could argue it can be used as a stress management activity too.

Edited by Diplomatico

Weight control. Think one could argue it can be used as a stress management activity too.

Absolute garbage, on both counts.

• Like 1

Parkinson's disease is less common with smokers, arthritis less common (though this may be due to the reduced amount of jogging by your average jogger and your average smoker is less likely to be obese).

The psychological effects are less clear. People who smoke are more likely to be stressed, or is it that people who are stressed are more likely to take up smoking? Does nicotine help? The topic is open for debate.

The increased incidence of strokes and heart attacks is, however, perfectly clear and smoking cigarettes is, on balance, a very unhealthy thing to do.

Now, you've opened up a can of worms DaamNaam. If we consider smoking e-cigarettes, could they be beneficial to health overall?

I'm not against smokers, I used to smoke, a

Absolute garbage, on both counts.

Ha, ha. I love zealots, they're so....life-like.

Yup, weight control, that was the reason both of my daughters started smoking.

When I gave up, I put weight on like hell.

Stress reduction, yes that worked for me too.

Back in the day when we smoked at work, whilst "up before the boss" a fag was great, I gave you something soothing to do and then you could puff smoke infront of you and hide behind it.

Kinda makes me feel ashamed of that behaviour as I write this LOL

You forgot to mention practical jokes, we used to put the little bangers in a fag and offer it to a friend.

Parkinson's disease is less common with smokers, arthritis less common (though this may be due to the reduced amount of jogging by your average jogger and your average smoker is less likely to be obese).

The psychological effects are less clear. People who smoke are more likely to be stressed, or is it that people who are stressed are more likely to take up smoking? Does nicotine help? The topic is open for debate.

The increased incidence of strokes and heart attacks is, however, perfectly clear and smoking cigarettes is, on balance, a very unhealthy thing to do.

Now, you've opened up a can of worms DaamNaam. If we consider smoking e-cigarettes, could they be beneficial to health overall?

The disease of denial could be as harmful as smoking.

If you believe smoking is beneficial then you should be working for Disney or Pixar, you have such a vivid imagination.

• Like 2

Whether it kills me or not, it is obnoxious when I inhale the smoke others exhale. It is unsanitary and it gags me and makes my eating, or just life, unpleasant.

Why is it unsanitary?

Have had a Guinean GF. Why don't you like Guineans???? What are you that you have such sanitary breath?

IT brings up an interesting question. Does air with smoke in it linger longer? Is it less likely to disperse?

Obviously went right over your head, which the smoke probably does too but no doubt you whinge about it anyway.

Back in the day when we smoked at work, whilst "up before the boss" a fag was great, I gave you something soothing to do and then you could puff smoke infront of you and hide behind it.

You forgot to mention practical jokes, we used to put the little bangers in a fag and offer it to a friend.

meditation for stress

exercise for weight control

smoking for either is pure brainwashed fantasy

• Like 2

meditation for stress

exercise for weight control

smoking for either is pure brainwashed fantasy

I do not agree with you.

My personal experience tells me this is true, believe it or not, up to you.

I would agree that smoking is a filthy habit and if tobacco was discovered today it would be banned, along with alcohol and quite rightly so. Both of these drugs are killers and damage families.

I gave up the cigs when we decided to have children, 40 odd years ago.

I may give up the booze tomorrow LOL

• Like 1

Why is it unsanitary?

Obviously went right over your head, which the smoke probably does too but no doubt you whinge about it anyway.

Wow! You do have a superior intellect.Oh wait, you didn't get the sarcasm? whistling.gif

Wow! You do have a superior intellect.Oh wait, you didn't get the sarcasm? whistling.gif

If you are worried about whether or not breath is sanitary I would suggest you retire from public life.

That brings other benefits to the world at large, but don't let that be your reason.

The cigarette smoke won't kill you but the smoke from the burning of the fields will..... as well as the exhaust from autos and scooters.

You've got that the wrong way around. Professor Doll proved beyond doubt that smokers and their families contract cancer and die earlier than those not exposed to cigarette smoke.

Also diesel smoke which contains fine particulates is a known killer.

Burning rice fields and Burmese and Indonesian forests yet to be proven.

Don't forget the ppl in the countryside they burn plastic bags in top, very healthy.cheesy.gif

Burning Plastic bags in open fire produce Seveso dioxin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seveso_disaster

My friend and me offered in a small town in Isaan to the ppl we would pay for a proper

burner outside in the fields, but they have to do the work under our supervise.

The said many times yes we do, but nothing happend, then we gave up the last time

I was there 10 years ago, still nothing happend, but the cancer cases increasing rapidly.

Hopeless case wai2.gif

Smoking has been banned in all Thailand restaurants, bars and other indoor public areas throughout Thailand for 7 years. Open air bars and restaurants are exempt. Some hotels are 100% smoke free though most offer both smoking and non-smoking rooms.

Some indoor bars and other places do allow smoking, but most places you would likely go do not.

I don't like to be around smokers either and it is generally not an issue here in Thailand.

Open air bars and restaurants may well allow their customers to smoke, but they certainly aren't exempt. Smoking is forbidden in any establishments serving food, indoor or out.

http://www.thaisabai.org/2012/11/thailands-anti-smoking-laws/

We having similar rules in germany public places (indoor) and restaurants, also in all public transportation is smoking prohibited.

Only in Bars(Pubs) is smoking allowed as long the owner serve alone, no extra staff allowed.

Nobody have to go to Champs-Élysées and pay the insane prices over there.

Germany is full of nice "Biergarten" with reasonable prices and sober Bier(1516 rules).

In my hometown close to Heidelberg + 30 C a lot of sexy girls all over an full Biergarten.

Forecast: http://www.wetter.com/wetter_aktuell/wettervorhersage/16_tagesvorhersage/?id=DE0004329

We are off to Chiang Mai ourselves for a spot of R&R following a family tradgedy here in Thailand.

We shall stay in a nice hotel with two swimming pools.

The rooms are quiet, non-smoking, have windows that can be opened.

The aircon is personal to each room.

The firdge is huge and quiet.

The staff are friendly.

We pay about 700b per night and really enjoy ourselves.

The hotel does not have a restaurant but that's no big deal, loads of them within a few steps.

Places not too many mins walk and you can have a full English or American style breakfast, crispy bacon, runny eggs - yum yum.

Warrarot market is a few mins walk away.

Loads of Temples nearby, shops, fruit n veg stalls, a big flower market, the river,

the night market is also close by, etc, etc.

Not too far to walk to the old town - Bliss!!

We would normally time our return to Thailand for about mid November, the rainy season is over,

the weather is lovely and there is a lot of exotic fruit to sample.

For Chiang Mai, read up on threads about the timing of jungle burning and the burning off of the rice stubble.

At those times it can be somewhat unpleasent due to the amount of smoke in the air.

Have a great time.

However, if you intend to stay for a few months, may I suggest you get an appropriate visa from the Thai Embassy in Canada before you depart.

There is a 30 day on arrival Visa Waiver for short tourists visits But!

Thailand is having a clamp down on abuses of back to back tourist waiver and visa entries.

There are many threads on this forum that can help you understand visa requirements.

Hope you have a great time when you finally arrive.

Could you provide the name of this Hotel please.

I'm also a nonsmoker and this sound like a reasonable price in a central area.

Stay in Canada. There's a lot more you won't like if you're a little old lady.

If you must make the trip, be sure to schedule around the hot season and the smoky season and the rainy season and the low season and the high season and the dry season.

It's your choice when you see a pile of garbage as to whether you walk around it or step over it. Oh, and the movement you'll see is just rats in the pile.

Street vendors will pick their noses every time just before they handle your food. They'll also have a pet dog, cat or monkey walking around in your food.

Actually you'd prefer Paris. Perhaps the Champs Elysees where they have marvelous outdoor sidewalk seating all up and down, and everything is 1st world standard.

Enjoy.

Really not fair to call smokers "a pile of garbage" they are just drug addicts and as such deserve compassion, sympathy and a place to injest their drug. The Thai smoking laws are usually respected so the OP should not be affected.

Typical, someone gives it to you straight and you take pot shots... If cigarette smoke bothers you, then there are far greater offenses in Thailand that will assault your senses, but of course you missed that detail from NS's reply with your panties in a twist...