Lotus Superbike Racing Academy - Pirelli Track day - 23/24 August, 2014 - BIRA Track, Pattaya

ll2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First time on a track.

Thanks for posting that. It's the closest I got to Bira!

What's the deal with the flag marshals...the bike down on the circuit after turn 2 could have caught out some really fast guy.

Yeah, should have been a red flag straight away.

In another session though there was a bad crash that nearly got hit by other bikes because everyone just ignored the reds.

That might have been the crash that happened just in front of me, at the exit of the sweeper heading onto front straight. It was on Sunday morning. The corner was a bit congested, as a result speeds were down ... normal (for me) speed for that corner is around 115 kph with an exit speed of around 130 kph ... we were all down some 15 kph ... then ... someone just couldn't wait and came barreling past me near the exit of the corner, tried to split 2 bikes in front of me ... didn't make it ... he went down ... one bike flipped up in the air ... there was all kinds of sparks and plastic bits floating around ... then I noticed that one of the fallen was spinning around and headed in my direction ... I moved over to the left and up on to the greasy red and white curbing ... bike got all squirrely for a few seconds ... had a chat with Elvis ... yea ... he's up there ... straightened out and continued on ... expected to see red flags out ... nothing ... got all the way around and back to the crash site before I saw a red flag ...

It's just a track day ... sure a person likes to kick some butt ... but there isn't any percentage in going down ... maybe some of those fast guys should be in the red group ... track marshals might use the radios forth with when something untoward happens ... people aren't supposed to pass on a yellow ... just sayin ... :)

LWM

• Like 1

In another session though there was a bad crash that nearly got hit by other bikes because everyone just ignored the reds.

That might have been the crash that happened just in front of me, at the exit of the sweeper heading onto front straight. It was on Sunday morning. The corner was a bit congested, as a result speeds were down ... normal (for me) speed for that corner is around 115 kph with an exit speed of around 130 kph ... we were all down some 15 kph ... then ... someone just couldn't wait and came barreling past me near the exit of the corner, tried to split 2 bikes in front of me ... didn't make it ... he went down ... one bike flipped up in the air ... there was all kinds of sparks and plastic bits floating around ... then I noticed that one of the fallen was spinning around and headed in my direction ... I moved over to the left and up on to the greasy red and white curbing ... bike got all squirrely for a few seconds ... had a chat with Elvis ... yea ... he's up there ... straightened out and continued on ... expected to see red flags out ... nothing ... got all the way around and back to the crash site before I saw a red flag ...

It's just a track day ... sure a person likes to kick some butt ... but there isn't any percentage in going down ... maybe some of those fast guys should be in the red group ... track marshals might use the radios forth with when something untoward happens ... people aren't supposed to pass on a yellow ... just sayin ... smile.png

LWM

i was just there turning the corner and seen bikes turning on the ground but was taking the corner slow as one guy was waving hands wildly just before the corner so i understood something is going wrong!

I avoided it but one young lad a couple of bikes in front of me could not. Luckily no one is injured badly, just they were shaken.

There are some over ambitious Thai guys there. A couple of times, these type of guys they tried to pass me on tight sections and while i am performing my turn it mean i either crash to the guy or need to brake dangerously or run to gravel.

I reported two guys doing this to Pirelli organizers and they have been warned hard in front of me and they warned them like 'one more time and we will cancel their track day and pay their money back'

Edited by ll2

It's just a track day ... sure a person likes to kick some butt ... but there isn't any percentage in going down ... maybe some of those fast guys should be in the red group ... track marshals might use the radios forth with when something untoward happens ... people aren't supposed to pass on a yellow ... just sayin ... smile.png

LWM

i was just there turning the corner and seen bikes turning on the ground but was taking the corner slow as one guy was waving hands wildly just before the corner so i understood something is going wrong!

I avoided it but one young lad a couple of bikes in front of me could not. Luckily no one is injured badly, just they were shaken.

There are some over ambitious Thai guys there. A couple of times, these type of guys they tried to pass me on tight sections and while i am performing my turn it mean i either crash to the guy or need to brake dangerously or run to gravel.

I reported two guys doing this to Pirelli organizers and they have been warned hard in front of me and they warned them like 'one more time and we will cancel their track day and pay their money back'

"one more time and we will cancel their track day and pay their money back"

I thought the track day was free?

LWM

no it was not free of course.

2900 thb per two full days including instructions and free labor from Pirelli staff.

I would love to do a track day. The only things that put me are advanced Thai riders entering the beginners group in order to look good and the over ambitious 'boy racer' types putting others in danger.

Sure you can handle them no problem. Bira has a trackday every Monday all day.

I would love to do a track day. The only things that put me are advanced Thai riders entering the beginners group in order to look good and the over ambitious 'boy racer' types putting others in danger.

They are very rare instances highwayrider.

And they always separate the riders in groups according to their level.

apart from these, i see no problems really.

LWM

Was this during a race or just the practice sessions?

LWM

Was this during a race or just the practice sessions?

that was practice, the first session of the day and i believe the tires of the guy was not warm enough.

Races are Sunday after 15:00 and you do not necessarily need to attend them. some dont, i do it at times.

LWM

no it was not free of course.

2900 thb per two full days including instructions and free labor from Pirelli staff.

"of course"

I thought it was sponsored by pirelli. Maybe its kawasaki that has the free track day's.

"Strange" overtaking by that guy on 3:22 whistling.gif

Normally i wait until the fast bikes are resting before i go on the track as its self policed. The z800 was going very slow for that part of the track and the other bike very fast.

He was being held up by the bike in front of him. He subsequently went a lot quicker once he got pass the other guy.

I would just like to throw a question out there based on this overtaking manoeuvre. What's the correct etiquette for the faster rider? To overtake on the right (racing line) or cut in left under the Z800? My feeling is that an undertake would have been the safer option all round.

We were told just to stick to the line and not make any sudden changes and the faster rider would find a way to pass.

Did get a little bit of a scare with that one as wasn't expecting someone to pass there.

There wasn't really any rest periods for the fast bikes this week as there's a race this weekend and a lot of people getting in some practice.

"Strange" overtaking by that guy on 3:22 whistling.gif

Normally i wait until the fast bikes are resting before i go on the track as its self policed. The z800 was going very slow for that part of the track and the other bike very fast.

He was being held up by the bike in front of him. He subsequently went a lot quicker once he got pass the other guy.

I would just like to throw a question out there based on this overtaking manoeuvre. What's the correct etiquette for the faster rider? To overtake on the right (racing line) or cut in left under the Z800? My feeling is that an undertake would have been the safer option all round.

it is normal for fast riders to pass the slower ones in mixed level track days.

But sure there are some ways to do that and you cannot just pass like that.

Check it out:

http://biketrackdayshub.com/bike-track-day-etiquette

Video from August 23 - 24 track day. Over 3 weeks from track to press ... my self imposed dead line ... is 4 weeks ... smile.png

So this is a "Rush Exclusive" ... unfortunately we got rained out ... and the music ... the music took me about 12 hours to conjure up ... definitely the hardest part ...

Good times with all the track buddies and we continue to improve ... stay safe and don't let the "red mist" get you ... smile.png

Interesting video..the guy in front of you [tiger colours] was all about wanting to put some wear on his knee pads by the look of things..

Some sort of after race ''look at my worn pads" BS trip i figure.blink.png

Video from August 23 - 24 track day. Over 3 weeks from track to press ... my self imposed dead line ... is 4 weeks ... smile.png

So this is a "Rush Exclusive" ... unfortunately we got rained out ... and the music ... the music took me about 12 hours to conjure up ... definitely the hardest part ...

Good times with all the track buddies and we continue to improve ... stay safe and don't let the "red mist" get you ... smile.png

Interesting video..the guy in front of you [tiger colours] was all about wanting to put some wear on his knee pads by the look of things..

That guy is a good buddy of ours and he is a very good rider.

So basicly you dont know what you are talking about as usual!

• Like 2

That guy is a good buddy of ours and he is a very good rider.

So basicly you dont know what you are talking about as usual!

Figures it would be a buddy of yours..but i stand by what i say..he's throwing a knee on the ground when there is absolutely no need to...

Edited by andreandre