Should I start teaching English?

I was asked, by the headmaster, of our local village school, to teach English to the young boys and girls.

No grammar involved, but only conversation.

And no payment either, as this, would be voluntary work.

I spoke to the other 2 Thai teachers, teaching English there, and after I said , Good morning, How are you?

they both looked at me with a blank expression on their face, having understood nothing of what I said.

I was very exited about that, but I started having my doubts, considering my abilities.

First, my profession is an accountant, never before taught any kids or anybody else, English or Greek.

Second, I have a Greek accent, and I don't wish the kids to pick up my accent.

Third, do I need a work permit? Although this will be a voluntary work.

The headmaster, says, no, no......but should I trust him?

Fourth, I'm not very patient with the kids, but I was promised, they will behave.

And last one, if I decide to do it, could you please, provide me with some reading, textbooks or internet sites I can refer to?

Your comments and advice, will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Costas

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, even for voluntary, unpaid work, a work permit is required in Thailand, so despite assurances from the headmaster, you would be putting yourself on the wrong side of the law, and all that that implies, if you take the 'job'.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anybody who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, even for voluntary, unpaid work, a work permit is required in Thailand, so despite assurances from the headmaster, you would be putting yourself on the wrong side of the law, and all that that implies, if you take the 'job'.

Voluntary work requires a work permit.

Thank you.

Any ideas as to what is required to get a work permit?

I am on retirement visa, here.

Edited by Costas2008

Third, do I need a work permit? Although this will be a voluntary work.

Work is work whether or not you receive compensation.

they both looked at me with a blank expression on their face, having understood nothing of what I said

You may be confusing coincidence with causation.

• Like 1

Yes, you could be doing one of those Thai English teachers out of a job! ha!

I've been to a few ASEAN countries, and Thailand would have to have the least number of English speakers I've come across.

Do it! Even with a Greek accent, it's better than nothing at all.

• Like 1

They'll eat you for breakfast.

Sorry, didn't understand, can you please elaborate a little more?

Who and why will eat me for breakfast?

It won't be any fun if I spoil the surprise. smile.png

• Like 1

You definitely need a work permit if you are volunteering, absurd I know but true.

As far as I know you will not be issued a work permit if you are on a retirement visa. I could be wrong it may be different for volunteering.

To get a work permit as a teacher , even as a volunteer you need to get a waver from the Teachers council. You will also need a whole raft of documents from the school. ( This is probably why they are telling you that you dont need one).

Sad really when you want to do a good turn for your community it turns into a red tape nightmare.

Lastly I would advise you that being patient with children would be very high on the qualities you would need to display not only working with Thai children, but also within the Thai education system, even as a volunteer.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

• Like 2

Without going into your standing in the community, there is also this to consider if you do take the 'job' without having a WP: if you cross swords with a local and they are aware that you are teaching illegally, they could make life very uncomfortable for you.

• Like 1

What I find ironic is that you first judge the local Thai English teachers because they didn't understand you. Of course it is their fault and not your accent.

I actually got paid at a conference with people from 15 different countriesall of who spoke English. My job was to translate English to English.

So before you judge them and their knowledge, you might be surpirseed . They might have great comprehension and understanding of the language. Communicative ability isn't essential for all people. Some spend their time reading and writing as those are important skills also for many people who don't travel abroad and are more interested in Academics.

As for your other questions.

Don't do it. you cannot work At all on a Retirement visa. You need to switch your visa and then get a work permit and since you are not getting paid it isn't worth it. If you just want to go in once and a while and do an English activity day, then go ahead. But anything that is steady will most likely get you on the radar.

As for actuallly doing the job. Without a background or any training, you aren't doing muchg more than edutainment and since you stated that you don't have a lot of patience, you will do more harm than good.

Half of my time when I first get in a new class is to undo all the bad habbits the students have picked up from previous teachers.

• Like 2

Although, I'm depressed now, I'm glad I opened this thread.

The only thing I wanted was to offer my services to the village community.

Also an attempt, to come closer to Thai people, their thinking, their culture.

Couldn't foresee all these problems, especially the work permit one.

Why is everything so difficult in Thailand?

Anyway, I have to have a serious talk with the headmaster.

Thank you all for your valuable comments and advice, up to now and I will be more than glad to hear more.

Thank You.

"It won't be any fun if I spoil the surprise."

I'd take that to mean that he doesn't know what he meant when he posted it.

"After the tsunami some years back, many volunteers arrived from western countries to assist with the clean-up. They were told they couldn't do any work."

That's not exactly how it went down. More like history being re-written.

Foreign volunteers were warmly welcomed after the tsunami. Initially there was a lot of grunt work to do and all was fine. After working for some time, it was realized that the volunteers were actually more of a problem than the good they were doing was worth.

There was a lot of the volunteers that wanted to do this or that or whatever. The government finally had enough, and decided to enforce the WP law to try and get some desperately needed organization in place.

There was a lot of whining, but mainly from those that were there to 'do their own thing".

• Like 2

I could be wrong on all 3 counts here but....

1) I believe all village schools were designated approx 30k a month for a native English speaking teacher, so he lied to you about that

2) As stated above, you do need a work permit to teach, so he lied to you about that

3) The kids will definitely not behave, so he lied to you about that

Now, he might be lying in a good way, to get you in there teaching and benefiting the kids. Even if it is just a little benefit.

Or he could be just be a liar !!

True, most rural folk haven't got a clue whether you are legal or not and most aren't bothered anyway.

But, we would miss you on here should you get banged up smile.png

1) I will have a talk with him and if it is true I will insist he hires a proper teacher and not an amateur like me.

2) As I stated in my OP, I had my suspicions about that.

3) The kids are from 6 years to 12 years old, but even so the thought frightens me a little.

Thanks for the advice.

Two Thai teachers teaching English. Do understand “good morning, how are you?

The blank expression would have been a moment to think one of three things.

A “The head teacher knows he needs a work permit”

B “Does this mean I have lost my job?”

C “I will phone the department of employment if this goes bad for me “

The thought of helping out with the kids is something you think you will enjoy obviously. It’s a great idea in principle. But the rest of your life in Thailand is more important than to be putting your future into the hands of a head teacher who is happy to lie to you at the expense of you being deported, fined or jailed.

Until they change the rules and system, find another hobby. Be safe enjoy your retirement. And well done for doing your home work!!!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, you could be doing one of those Thai English teachers out of a job! ha!

I've been to a few ASEAN countries, and Thailand would have to have the least number of English speakers I've come across.

Do it! Even with a Greek accent, it's better than nothing at all.

Do it without work permit?

Benefits? None.

Risk? Deportation.

Um.....

I agree!

There are much better ways to volunteer your time then getting involved in a job that is normally paid and with no work permit. If caught there is no such thing as Ignorance of the Law. You might easily find yourself in lock-up for a couple of nights and a one way ticket home.

Get involved with a Food Bank and help distribute food to the needy instead. Or many other things. You would embark on a ungrateful job teaching English These Thai Teachers are not going to thank you for your effort. They will probably despise you for that. You are not going to make many friends for doing this either. You also don't have teaching skills and you are liable to do more harm to the kids then good.

I know a guy who seems a bit crazy in the head who goes along the beach each morning to pick up cigarette butts. I used to think he did that to smoke them later, but one day out of curiosity I asked him why he was doing this. He told me that he didn't want the babies on the beach picking them up and putting them in their mouth.

In a way I admired him for wanting to do this but at the same time I knew it was rather foolish. I mean leaving behind countless other things including bottle caps. But if there is a Moral to this story it is at least that he found a way in which he thought he was doing some good and could volunteer his time without a work permit. He stuck to what he knew how to do even if it was pointless. I suggest you do the same.

• Like 2

don't do it, you're not a teacher at heart and won't last a week.

You have a retirement visa, you are not allowed to work.

You're taking great risks for absolutely nothing.

If you don't do it for yourself, do it for the kids and tell the school to hire a real teacher.

• Like 1

costas2008. How about if someone just comes there and teaches it for you? Really dude.

Hope you are serious.

Have to ask the headmaster.......he has to pay.

If you are really interested I will PM you.

Hope you understand I live in Ban Phai, 45klm from Khon Kaen.

It seems Costas that you understandably have a good heart and just want to do something to help out, but let me point out that English is not your strong point. Perhaps you could focus on something that is. You said you were an accountant, all sorts of people need them too you know. Why go out of your element, risk deportation and go against your nature when you don't need to. Find other ways to spread your wealth (of knowledge that is!)

Oz

Without getting into all the legalities of visas and work permits, Costas, it is nice of you to seriously consider giving something to the local school. You would not be depriving anyone of a job and you do not need to be a native English speaker to assist the students in learning English. Whether you have an accent or not is of little importance. These students will be using English with other non-native speakers, so they need to learn to hear and deal with non-native speakers of English.

It sounds like you would not actually be a teacher, but helping with conversation. Considering what many Thai students have available for English now, I can assure you, you are one huge step in the right direction.

Scott, after feeling depressed from most of the answers, I got up to now, you have lifted my spirits up.

Thank you so much.

I do know that English is not my strong point, as I was told before, but having a conversation with 6 to 12 years old, I think is more than enough.

And yes, I want to give some help to the local school and community.

Still don't know how to get round the work permit situation, but I will have a serious think about that.

Once more, Thank you very much.