Thai language lessons in Chiang Mai - your recommendations

properjob

I want to learn to speak Thai in Chiang Mai, and seek recommendations for the best language schools (not private teachers).

I want a school that offers support to obtain a study visa AND that does a good job in the teaching of Thai to foreigners.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

pj

almost four hundred views, and only one (albeit welcome) reply. This reminds me why I seldom bother here. If you want answers here, seemingly you have to make racist generalisations about the local population, or ask where to get the cheapest cigarettes or whisky or the best 99 Baht all-you-can-eat pizza.

Whoa now! My search engine said you were talking about all you can eat pizza YUMMY!

Just joking. I've heard good things about Payap if you really want to learn Thai. Most schools, if not all, will offer visa support. Some schools better than others at the visa thing. If you are in CM already you should go around and see if the teaching style or books they use "click" with you. Some schools emphasize reading and alphabet first, others teach vocab phonetically then move to reading later. Then of course there is the price of the school/ED visa to also consider.

Sorry I don't have a specific school to recommend . . . .

• Like 1

I'll expand my answer. I specifically do not recommend AUA, although many choose to attend there because it is so close to the city center. They have a problem with mediocre quality teachers with bad attitudes (not all, but many teachers there.) I also attended YMCA, but I think they have no visa support. Payap has very high quality teachers that are well supported by administrative staff. They also do not use phoenetics to teach Thai, which is a pet peeve of mine (fine if your goal is to speak only, but complete waste of time if you want to learn to read and write Thai.) There are many other private schools around that promote easy visa, and I think their strong points are that and pretty teachers. If you are serious about learning Thai, Payap will serve you best, but you will need transportation. Oh, and don't even consider Chiang Mai Language Institute. You can private message me for further info on that hot mess.

• Like 1

almost four hundred views, and only one (albeit welcome) reply. This reminds me why I seldom bother here. If you want answers here, seemingly you have to make racist generalisations about the local population, or ask where to get the cheapest cigarettes or whisky or the best 99 Baht all-you-can-eat pizza.

The one answer you were already given is the only real answer if you are serious about learning Thai and have the time to spend. I would still recommend a private 1:1 teacher over Payap since group lessons are taught there and having someone correct your pronunciation on a 1:1 basis when you read and speak is vital to proper learning. But you ignorantly said you did not want a private teacher.

Now quit your whining about this group, you've already been given the best advice, and go be negative somewhere else.

Edited by DavidMavec
  • Like 1

Well, the problem is the question you asked.

There are VISA mills, and there are language schools.

The VISA mills make little attempt to teach anyone anything.

The Language schools don't supply VISAs.

Apart from Payap University which is first class, but generally too much like hard work for the casual learner.

Your question had the best answer in the first reply, so nobody else really bothered.

The one answer you were already given is the only real answer if you are serious about learning Thai and have the time to spend. I would still recommend a private 1:1 teacher over Payap since group lessons are taught there and having someone correct your pronunciation on a 1:1 basis when you read and speak is vital to proper learning. But you ignorantly said you did not want a private teacher.

Now quit your whining about this group, you've already been given the best advice, and go be negative somewhere else.

Oh forgive me for offending you, since you are clearly one of the self-appointed Forum Police - and precisely the kind of opinionated, aggressive jerk who makes some of this forum such tiresome reading.

While you were trying to offend, others were offering helpful responses. Calling me 'ignorant' for wanting to attend a school is not only unwarranted, it is profoundly stupid. There is nothing 'ignorant' about a request for advice on schools, rather than a private teacher. Even aside from budget considerations, a private teacher can't help my visa needs unless I want to pay a LOT for instruction at a school, which is not an option.

So now go be negative elsewhere, maybe at one of the 99-Baht-pizza-special threads that might not challenge your clearly limited intellect.

I'll expand my answer. I specifically do not recommend AUA, although many choose to attend there because it is so close to the city center. They have a problem with mediocre quality teachers with bad attitudes (not all, but many teachers there.) I also attended YMCA, but I think they have no visa support. Payap has very high quality teachers that are well supported by administrative staff. They also do not use phoenetics to teach Thai, which is a pet peeve of mine (fine if your goal is to speak only, but complete waste of time if you want to learn to read and write Thai.) There are many other private schools around that promote easy visa, and I think their strong points are that and pretty teachers. If you are serious about learning Thai, Payap will serve you best, but you will need transportation. Oh, and don't even consider Chiang Mai Language Institute. You can private message me for further info on that hot mess.

Thanks, BJ. The effort to address the question in greater detail is much appreciated.

I'm a little surprised that Mac Whalen hasn't come along to tout his visa mill, whoops -- Thai language school and others haven't stopped by to talk about similar places like Pro Language, etc.

But, OP, you did ask about BEST language schools. No question about it. If you are serious about learning Thai and want to have the school help you obtain a visa, then the best place in town in Payap.

In the current climate, the visa mills may be under increasing scrutiny from Immigration, but it's a safe bet that no one will question the validity of the course of study at Payap.

• Like 2

I'm a little surprised that Mac Whalen hasn't come along to tout his visa mill, whoops -- Thai language school and others haven't stopped by to talk about similar places like Pro Language, etc.

But, OP, you did ask about BEST language schools. No question about it. If you are serious about learning Thai and want to have the school help you obtain a visa, then the best place in town in Payap.

In the current climate, the visa mills may be under increasing scrutiny from Immigration, but it's a safe bet that no one will question the validity of the course of study at Payap.

Wow, a pretty bold accusation of illegal practices by a forum sponsor.

• Like 2

No, I'm not making bold accusations about a forum sponsor, I'm merely stating why Payap is the best and repeating what has been reported in the Visa board of ThaiVisa.com about students current enrolled in non-university-based schools being placed under increasing scrutiny now when they interact with Immigration.

Also, I've studied Thai as a private student in small group lessons with two other students who were simultaneously enrolled at Payap and Whalen. The guy studying at Payap was there to learn Thai and the other guy studying at Whalen was there to get a Visa and the only way he was learning Thai was in our three-times weekly, three-person semi-private small group lesson.

• Like 1

Wow, a pretty bold accusation of illegal practices by a forum sponsor.

Precisely. He is no longer a Thai Visa sponsor, so we are now free to openly describe his visa mills for what they truly are. Well done NancyL!

• Like 1

Well, the problem is the question you asked.

There are VISA mills, and there are language schools.

The VISA mills make little attempt to teach anyone anything.

The Language schools don't supply VISAs.

Apart from Payap University which is first class, but generally too much like hard work for the casual learner.

Your question had the best answer in the first reply, so nobody else really bothered.

"The Language schools don't supply VISAs."

Rubbish

To be called a language school a school must be licensed with the MoE. To teach Thai legally, it must have a Thai language curriculum attached to its license. It can then teach Thai and provide paperwork for a non-immigrant ED visa. There are many language schools in Chiang Mai that can provide non-immigrant ED paperwork.

If a 'language school' teaches Thai but cannot provide paperwork for a non-immigrant ED visa, it is likely to be unlicensed and operating illegally.

No, I'm not making bold accusations about a forum sponsor, I'm merely stating why Payap is the best and repeating what has been reported in the Visa board of ThaiVisa.com about students current enrolled in non-university-based schools being placed under increasing scrutiny now when they interact with Immigration.

Also, I've studied Thai as a private student in small group lessons with two other students who were simultaneously enrolled at Payap and Whalen. The guy studying at Payap was there to learn Thai and the other guy studying at Whalen was there to get a Visa and the only way he was learning Thai was in our three-times weekly, three-person semi-private small group lesson.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was looking very closely at Walden but will now speak with Payap.

Have a great weekend! :)

I did a course at Whalen.

I attended class with 4 other students.

The class register showed 13 in attendance.

The teachers were all pretty young graduates with degrees unrelated to teaching.

Aua were better but teacher ability was pot luck.

Ymca were by far the best of the three and the cheapest.