Is 6 month passport validity currently being enforced?

The rule stills aply's.

My friend, german, wanted to do a border-run in Nong Khai ( Non O, multiple entry )

Thai immigration refused him to leave, since Laos also has the 6 month rule and anyway he would not let him back in either...

Edited by kovaltech

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Germans it is passport validity for the length of stay. But in your case you need the 6 months to enter any nearby country when you leave to get another entry.

Visas are not transferred. You will have to use both passports to show your visa in the old one when you enter the country.

When you leave or go to immigration they will do an annotation with info about your visa and last entry into the country in your new passport.

Cheers ubonjoe.

Shows again this is a complex issue where other considerations come into play apart from Thai regulations.

The rule stills aply's.

My friend, german, wanted to do a border-run in Nong Khai ( Non O, multiple entry )

Thai immigration refused him to leave, since Laos also has the 6 month rule and anyway he would not let him back in either...

They did not let him leave because they are aware that Laos is strict on their 6 month rule. He should of thanked them for that,

He only needed validity for his length of stay for Thailand.

• Like 1

The 6-month validity rule apply to a long list of countries, see:

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/six-months-validity-rule/

Thailand should not be on that list, for visa exempt entries there is no 6 months validity rule.

StevenL,

Can you give me a link , specific, where they say that exempt entries do not require 6 months validity ?

There is a general rule and i did not find it where they made an exception...

By the German Foreign Office's website holders of German passports need 6 months validity when entering, and that was exactly what the chap at Essen honorary consulate specifically told me when I got my multi non-o.

So for me with my passport valid through Sept. 20 that will mean I have to do a border-run and re-enter before March 20 and then either leave for Germany round June 20 or get a new passport locally.

Should I opt to get my new passport in Bangkok or Phnom Penh will I have to transfer my visa at immigration in Pattaya or can that be done at the border?

Will there be any fees involved?

For Germans it is passport validity for the length of stay. But in your case you need the 6 months to enter any nearby country when you leave to get another entry.

Visas are not transferred. You will have to use both passports to show your visa in the old one when you enter the country.

When you leave or go to immigration they will do an annotation with info about your visa and last entry into the country in your new passport.

Sorry on this one Ubonjoe,

http://www.thaiembassy.de/de/visa

This is the information from the Thai Embassy website, updated febr 2014.

6 month validity upon arrival, they will not give an certificate in case your pasport is not fullfilling the requirement, entrty will not be permitted and return flight shall be enforced. ( clearly stated in German ) i leave it up to you to translate it.

By the German Foreign Office's website holders of German passports need 6 months validity when entering, and that was exactly what the chap at Essen honorary consulate specifically told me when I got my multi non-o.

So for me with my passport valid through Sept. 20 that will mean I have to do a border-run and re-enter before March 20 and then either leave for Germany round June 20 or get a new passport locally.

Should I opt to get my new passport in Bangkok or Phnom Penh will I have to transfer my visa at immigration in Pattaya or can that be done at the border?

6 month validity upon arrival, they will not give an certificate in case your pasport is not fullfilling the requirement, entrty will not be permitted and return flight shall be enforced. ( clearly stated in German ) i leave it up to you to translate it.

I learned long ago not to trust info like that on any embassy website. Page updated with outdated info. You do need 6 months validity to get a visa at the embassy though.

I thrust the info here http://www.starallia...isa-and-health/ more than what is on the embassy website.

Thailand should not be on that list, for visa exempt entries there is no 6 months validity rule.

StevenL,

Can you give me a link , specific, where they say that exempt entries do not require 6 months validity ?

It is not required, nowhere will it say 'for visa exempt entry 6 months validity is required'. A link to something non existent is of course not possible.

Take into account though that airlines are free to set their own rules, Air Asia for example requires for all destinations 6 months passport validity.

Edit: if you look at the mfa website, see here, http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html, you will see for tourist visa 6 months passport validity required, no such requirement for visa exempt entries.

Edited by stevenl

I learned long ago not to trust info like that on any embassy website. Page updated with outdated info. You do need 6 months validity to get a visa at the embassy though.

I thrust the info here http://www.starallia...isa-and-health/ more than what is on the embassy website.

This is what they have on the website from your link...

Passport required.

- Passports issued to nationals of Germany must be valid for

the period of intended stay.

- for holders of normal passports;

- Emergency and temporary passports issued to nationals of

Germany must be valid for at least 6 moths from date of

arrival.

its all in the punctuation...

StevenL,

It is not required, nowhere will it say 'for visa exempt entry 6 months validity is required'. A link to something non existent is of course not possible.

Take into account though that airlines are free to set their own rules, Air Asia for example requires for all destinations 6 months passport validity.

Edit: if you look at the mfa website, see here, http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html, you will see for tourist visa 6 months passport validity required, no such requirement for visa exempt entries.

StevenL,

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/188

Tourist Visa Exemption

Passport holders of the countries listed below are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter Thailand at immigration checkpoints, which border neighbouring countries (overland crossing), they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time. The exemption to this is Malaysian nationals crossing overland from Malaysia who are granted a period of stay not exceeding 30 days each time.

Since 20 December 2013,Nationals of (G7) the following countries who enter via a land crossing or enter via an airport will be entitled to a 30 day visa exemption , UK, U.S.A, Canada, Italy, Germany, Japan, France

Foreigners who enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category and would like to leave and

re-enter may only stay for a cumulative duration, which does not exceed 90 days and is within a 6-month period from the date of first entry. (Passport or travel document must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of first entry).

This info is over 5 and half years out of date. Rule went away when they did the 15 day entry.

'Foreigners who enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category and would like to leave and

re-enter may only stay for a cumulative duration, which does not exceed 90 days and is within a 6-month period from the date of first entry. (Passport or travel document must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of first entry)."

I see nothing that says it is 6 months on IATA website for normal passports.You are misreading it. They just put normal after the requirement.

The 6 months is for emergency passports.

Edit: See here for up to date visa exemption info. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

You should also note it says nothing about passport validity.

This info is over 5 and half years out of date. Rule went away when they did the 15 day entry.

'Foreigners who enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category and would like to leave and

re-enter may only stay for a cumulative duration, which does not exceed 90 days and is within a 6-month period from the date of first entry. (Passport or travel document must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of first entry)."

I see nothing that says it is 6 months on IATA website for normal passports.You are misreading it. They just put normal after the requirement.

Edit: See here for up to date visa exemption info. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

Playing devils advocate here...

I can read and understand 8 languages... any of those official embassy websites are stating the same rules...

My guess we can read what we want... until we do get denial of entry...

Maybe then i could use the "Ubonjou said i could" sentence ? ;-)

Edited by kovaltech

whistling.gif It would be wisest to renew it in the U.S.

A new passport can be sent anywhere in the U.S. by "overnight" or "Priority Mail" service and it should arrive anywhere in the country in a maximum of 3 days.

It costs more, of course, but you get what you pay for.

It's well worth the extra cost.

StevenL,

StevenL,

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/188

Tourist Visa Exemption

Passport holders of the countries listed below are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter Thailand at immigration checkpoints, which border neighbouring countries (overland crossing), they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time. The exemption to this is Malaysian nationals crossing overland from Malaysia who are granted a period of stay not exceeding 30 days each time.

Since 20 December 2013,Nationals of (G7) the following countries who enter via a land crossing or enter via an airport will be entitled to a 30 day visa exemption , UK, U.S.A, Canada, Italy, Germany, Japan, France

Foreigners who enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category and would like to leave and

re-enter may only stay for a cumulative duration, which does not exceed 90 days and is within a 6-month period from the date of first entry. (Passport or travel document must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of first entry).

Yes, one of the consulates/embassies websites, always giving outdated and incorrect information. Check the link I gave you, mfa site gives the correct information.

BTW, you're reading the link Joe gave you incorrect. IATA/Star Alliance says nothing about visa exempt passport validity.

whistling.gif It would be wisest to renew it in the U.S.

A new passport can be sent anywhere in the U.S. by "overnight" or "Priority Mail" service and it should arrive anywhere in the country in a maximum of 3 days.

It costs more, of course, but you get what you pay for.

It's well worth the extra cost.

It is now 2 weeks for expedited service by mail and it costs $60 extra. The only way to get it faster is to go to a passport office and you have to make an appointment first,

That was my question as well, Mapguy.........but then what about those pesky airline employees having a bad hair day. Talk about making up the rules as you go along....

It isn't a matter of the airline employee - the 6 month validity rule is published by Thailand, not by the airline.

Playing devils advocate here...

I can read and understand 8 languages... any of those official embassy websites are stating the same rules...

My guess we can read what we want... until we do get denial of entry...

Maybe then i could use the "Ubonjou said i could" sentence ? ;-)

Here is where you can enter the info on the IATA website. It requests the date your passport expires. I just did it with October as the expiration date for a 30 day entry. It informed me all was good for the trip.

I as I said you cannot rely on embassy website for a lot of info.

• Like 2

Don't forget the return ticket issues if you plan on getting a 30 at the airport, and do you think your airline will honor the one in your old passport with the holes in it? Also, in the US, the old passport is sent separately and after the new one is sent.

That was my question as well, Mapguy.........but then what about those pesky airline employees having a bad hair day. Talk about making up the rules as you go along....

It isn't a matter of the airline employee - the 6 month validity rule is published by Thailand, not by the airline.

It doesn't matter if the airline is wrong or right. But if you show up at SEA holding a US passport with a booking to Bangkok that smarmy woman at the checkin counter does not care what VISA you have, all their system says is the passport must have 6 months validity. I would say unless you can produce a Thai Permanent residence card that woman is not gonna give you a boarding pass and it has nothing at all to do with what the actual Thai regulation is or is not. I tell you this from a perspective currently working as a Captain for a US airline, and seeing the tears and vexation at the counter. We are specifically required by operations manual to renew our passports prior to 6 month valididity remaining for the same reason.

It is time for the OP to get a new passport. Period.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

Agreed arunsakda. I called Korean Air in Chicago where I am flying out of and they said I cannot board the plane with a visa with less than 6 months validity. Doesn't matter what Thai Immigration says because you won't see them until you have a new passport. Other airlines may be different but I think you're asking for trouble with a less-than 6 month visa. I will be getting a new passport before I return to Thailand. My next question is when I return to Thailand with my new passport and my old cancelled one, what happens to my extension of stay visa which will be in the old passport? Do I have to start over again with a tourist visa and change it to an extension of stay here in Thailand?

• Like 1

The airline should have checked the regulations, as quoted in post 24. They don't have a leg to stand on to deny you boarding and cost them serious money.

Regarding your question:

You would need to keep the old passport, with the extension pages still intact. At Thai immigration you would show both old and new passport and they will stamp you in on the new passport based on your re-entry permit in the old passport and tell you to visit your immigration office to have the details properly transferred to the new passport.

• Like 1

Why take a chance? If you do, it *might* be challenged by the air lines denying you permission to board. It only takes one zealous air line or Immigration employee to spoil your happy day...

If you decide to roll the dice, good luck smile.png

I had that problem about 3-4 years, they refused me at JFK airport because I didn't have 6 months left in my passport although I was going to Thailand for one month only. I had to go back to Toronto, Canada, paid for a very expensive return ticket, as it was at the last minute, I learned my lesson the hard way.

As yo can read, http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

they had not be rightly informed. whistling.gif

I had a similar problem with my young sons validity of Thai Passport in Suvarnabhumi

and regarding Malaysia, Air Asia had been right,

"- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months from date of arrival."

But I had no other possibility as I was alone with him and we had been on the way to a MotoGp race in Sepang, I stood my ground, insisted, said I would pay return ticket myself ect, would sign that.

They let us fly without signing after some discussion.

In Malaysia than, no problem at all! thumbsup.gif

The airline should have checked the regulations, as quoted in post 24. They don't have a leg to stand on to deny you boarding and cost them serious money.

Regarding your question:

You would need to keep the old passport, with the extension pages still intact. At Thai immigration you would show both old and new passport and they will stamp you in on the new passport based on your re-entry permit in the old passport and tell you to visit your immigration office to have the details properly transferred to the new passport.

Good luck with suing any US airline to get your "serious money" back after you are delayed and have to pay for hotel and another ticket. These gate agents are not educated and only go by what is written in the airlines computer system, under threat of TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT, whether or not it is correct. You are missing my point here. OP- Save yourself some grief, get a new passport.

arunsakda- OUT

Edited by arunsakda

Agreed arunsakda. I called Korean Air in Chicago where I am flying out of and they said I cannot board the plane with a visa with less than 6 months validity. Doesn't matter what Thai Immigration says because you won't see them until you have a new passport. Other airlines may be different but I think you're asking for trouble with a less-than 6 month visa. I will be getting a new passport before I return to Thailand. My next question is when I return to Thailand with my new passport and my old cancelled one, what happens to my extension of stay visa which will be in the old passport? Do I have to start over again with a tourist visa and change it to an extension of stay here in Thailand?

You bring your old cancelled passport with the new one. This is what people do. Then any valid stamps or visas can be transferred by Thai immigration. My previous posts on this subject are only to do with US airline checkin procedures, and I do not mean to conflate or confuse this with actual Thai immigration requirements, which are completely beyond the scope of my expertise and not related at all to what I am trying to say here. Again, I have seen the tears and vexation at the ticket counter. Do not attempt to travel by air from The US to Thailand unless your US passport has 6 months validity.

arunsakda - OUT

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

Regarding your question:

Good luck with suing any US airline to get your "serious money" back after you are delayed and have to pay for hotel and another ticket. These gate agents are not educated and only go by what is written in the airlines computer system, under threat of TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT, whether or not it is correct. You are missing my point here. OP- Save yourself some grief, get a new passport.

arunsakda- OUT

"These gate agents are not educated and only go by what is written in the airlines computer system, under threat of TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT, whether or not it is correct."

That given link ( http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/) is airlines computer system, they paid it to be updated with latest info

It's called timaticweb

http://www.iata.org/publications/Pages/timaticweb-travel-requirements.aspx

• Like 1

This is the requirements as in the timaticweb airline application.

Note: info is incorrect about "maximum of three months in the last six", and there are few misspellings.

res_back.gif res_print.gif timlogo.gif

/ 03JUL14 / 1621 UTC

National USA (US) /Embarkation USA (US)
Transit USA (US) /Destination Thailand (TH)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

vi_tr.gif
USA (US)

in_on_no.gif
VISA NOT REQUIRED.

he_de.gif
USA (US)

Vaccinations not required.

Warning:
- Those entering on a K-1 or K-2 visa must hold a medical form
FS398 and X-ray plates of chest (full size not necessary).
To facilitate handling upon arrival considerably, passengers
are advised to have these health documents ready in their
hands as they must have them at hand for the health control,
which takes place immediately after disembarkation.

vi_de.gif
Thailand (TH)

in_on_no.gif
Passport required.
- Passports issued to nationals of USA must be valid for the period of intended stay.
- for holders of normal passports;
- Emergency and temporary passports issued to nationals of USA must be valid for at least 6 moths from date of arrival.
Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days:
Additional Information:

- ACMECS Single Visa issued by Cambodia and Thailand are valid
for 90 days from the date of issue and are valid for a stay
of 60 days in Thailand. Holders of visas isssued by Cambodia
(marked KHA) will be required to pay their fee for Thailand
upon arrival in Thailand.
- Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents
for their next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold
sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.-
per person or THB 20,000.- per family).
For details, click here
- Nationals of USA are granted a stay of max. 3 months within any 6 months period. Extension possible.
Warning:
- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

he_de.gif
Thailand (TH)

Vaccination against yellow fever required if arriving within 10 days after leaving or transiting countries with risk of yellow fever transmission For details, click here.

Exempt from Yellow Fever vaccination:

- Children under 1 year of age.
- Passengers transiting countries with risk of yellow fever transmission provided not leaving the transit areas.
Recommended:
- Malaria prophylaxis: malaria risk exists throughout the year in rural, especially forested and hilly areas of the country mainly towards the international borders, including the southernmost provinces. There is no risk in cities, urban areas, Samui Isl. and the main tourist resorts of Phuket Isl.. Human P. knowlesi infection reported. Recommended prevention in risk areas: A; in areas near Cambodia and Myanmar borders: D.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - BRITISH PASSPORT VALIDITY EXTENSION STAMP

Timaticweb Version 1.3
03 July 2014sc_co.gif
  • Like 1

Sounds like you are here. Make an appt at US consulate and should have your new passport in your hands within two weeks. $110 cost and can pay with a visa card. Print out the two page form from their website and be sure you have a proper passport photo in advance...10 minutes at the consulate

CB