Is 6 month passport validity currently being enforced?

I know this topic has been covered before and I have already done a search but the some of the posts are a bit outdated or not pertaining to my situation. I have an extension of stay/retirement visa valid until Jan 30/2015 which is when my USA passport expires. I am leaving for the USA soon and returning towards the end of August which is less than 6 months before my passport expires (about 5 months). I just found out from a friend about the 6 month validity requirement for traveling to Thailand. I know now that I should have renewed my passport before but as the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20. Some of the posts say it's no longer being enforced and others say it is. Anyone know for sure? I also know I can renew my passport in America but would prefer to do it here at the CM consulate as it would be easier and I would have time after I return to Thailand and before I need to do another renewal of my extension of stay visa. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why take a chance? If you do, it *might* be challenged by the air lines denying you permission to board. It only takes one zealous air line or Immigration employee to spoil your happy day...

If you decide to roll the dice, good luck :)

• Like 2

Depends on how soon you are leaving. If you have a couple of weeks you can probably renew it here. Check and make an appointment, you will get the passport within a week after your appointment probably. Sometimes it is 3-5 days.

If you do it here you can get any useful visas or extensions transferred into it which could save you some hassle.

Don't take a chance on the 6 month deal.

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 1

It's dead easy to renew your passport in the US. As I recall I went to the post office, filled out some paperwork, got my photo taken, paid a few bucks, and the new passport arrived in the mail a week or two later.

There is also an express service that makes a new passport in a matter of a few days.

Here is some relatively recent information related to this subject.

My American passport expired January 7, 2014. Last year I bought round trip tickets here in CM to Florida Leaving July 15 and returning September 1, 2013. Obviously there was only were only 4 months and 6 days left on my passport. As well I had less than 6 months left on my passport when I left CM.

There was never a question going or returning (Korean Air).

My retirement visa renewed October 1, 2013. Since my passport was expiring Jan 7, 2014 Immigration would only give to me an extension to Jan 7, 2014 at which time I had to go through the annual extension process again with my new passport. My new annual extension date is now January 7. An expensive and time consuming mistake on my part.

Some other thoughts........If you bought your round trip tickets here you will technically not be traveling to Thailand.....you will be returning to Thailand.

You may renew your American passport anytime up to one year before the expiration date and currently there is a 7 to 10 day turn around from the date you make application until your new one will be available for pickup at which time they will invalidate your old one (which has your current Thai retirement extension in it).

You may renew your Thai retirement annual extension to stay up to 30 days before the current one expires.

I would suggest you try to renew your passport just prior to your retirement extension date so you won't have to go through the hassle of transferring the Thai visa to your new Passport.

Don't forget to make your Immigration appointment 100 days before you need it. Timing will be important in your case.

It's dead easy to renew your passport in the US. As I recall I went to the post office, filled out some paperwork, got my photo taken, paid a few bucks, and the new passport arrived in the mail a week or two later.

There is also an express service that makes a new passport in a matter of a few days.

To the OP...........Food for thought.........When you show up at Thai Immigration at the Airport on your return trip with a shiny new passport without a valid visa in it the chances are they will give you a 30 day permission to visit and you will have to start the non immigrant visa process all over again.

When the American authorities give you a new passport they invalidate your old passport by punching holes in it and print in red a big CANCELED across the information page. Thai Immigration prefers you have your visa transferred to your new passport within 48 hours as the old passport is no longer valid. You are treading on thin ice.........be careful.

I renewed my pp in the States last December.....going to the post office doesn't expedite, but it does add 25 usd to the bill. I did standard, and it took about 22 days, including one holiday. I think you should do it here. But, here is the question: If you are leaving on a re-entry permit; do you still need the six months when you re-enter? Otherwise the 6 month rule is widely enforced.....

Chances are you will have to do it in the states.

to get your Passport here you must make an on line appointment for a Tuesday or a Thuresday. I just checked and there are plenty available tomorrow and Thursday.

when you get it you must wait until a Tuesday or Thursday to pick it up. In my opinion you would have a good chance if you went in tomorrow of getting it next Tuesday and almost for sure Thursday. Then you must take it to immigration for them to transfer the visa's and the extension.

If you get it done in the states check and see how close you are to a Thai consulate you could probably handle the whole thing there. I got my original retirement in Vancouver B C Canada and the extensions all over here. At any rate if you get the new one there be sure to hang onto the old one.

I had a friend who always did his by mail with the consulate in Portland Oregon as he was always over there on holidays at that time of the year.

Depends on how soon you are leaving. If you have a couple of weeks you can probably renew it here. Check and make an appointment, you will get the passport within a week after your appointment probably. Sometimes it is 3-5 days.

If you do it here you can get any useful visas or extensions transferred into it which could save you some hassle.

Don't take a chance on the 6 month deal.

OP, I agree with Dante 99, if I understand your situation properly. It depends on how soon you are leaving.

The good news is that Chiang Mai US Consulate is very, very efficient and fast. Last new passport I applied for in Chiang Mai (August 2013) took only four days from the appointment. All the necessary forms were on line at that time. In an emergency situation, they might do it even faster; that is, not make you wait for an appointment. Check with them.

The bad news is that you need to visit Chiang Mai Immigration --- with your cancelled and with your new passport to get your stamps transferred until the expiration of your current extension. But the good news about the bad news is that transfer can be done in less than half a day.

Otherwise, since you are RE-entering the kingdom on a valid re-entry visa, the six month rule may not apply. But check personally with Chiang Mai Immigration on this point. Upon return, then go through the process as above before you apply for your extension.

Edited by Mapguy

The airline you return from the states on might not allow you to board with less than 6 months. Time for a new passport. I have seen examples in person of this at the airport.

Edited by arunsakda

The airline you return from the states on might not allow you to board with less than 6 months. Time for a new passport. I have seen examples in person of this at the airport.

Right, the risk is on them if Thai Immigration refuses entry,

the airline has to fly you back to the States and you are held by Immigration until they arrange that which could be days.

I figured this is a very tricky situation and still am unsure what to do. I am leaving on July 13th so not much time to do a new passport and transfer of visa beforehand. One poster suggested I go to the CM Consulate to renew my passport as there are numerous openings tomorrow and Thursday. Think he may be confused as tomorrow (now today) is Thursday and there are no appointments available that I can see until next Tuesday July 8th. They may even be closed today (Thurs) for the 4th of July holiday. A little added info is that I do have a valid re-entry permit in my current passport but again the passport will expire 5 months after I want to return to Thailand. Another friend suggested I get a new passport in the USA and have them cancel all the pages in the old passport except the valid extension of stay page and the valid re-entry permit if I explain the situation when applying for the new passport. I have thought about trying to go to immigration and ask them what I should do but that still doesn't mean I wouldn't have a problem with the airline upon returning. It also may be a little risky doing that as it seems you can get varying information at immigration depending on who you talk to. Any further thoughts or advice from anyone?

The last post from Dante99 makes good sense. One further question though is that when you say if I end up doing the new passport in the US, do I come back and get a tourist visa (30 day) when I arrive and then have to change it to an extension of stay? I had to do this in the past and it is fairly involved as you have to first change it to an "O" visa and then to an extension of stay. Whatever the case it is my fault I didn't get a new passport sooner so will have to do whatever is necessary. Thanks again to all who helped out with my question.

It is not a tricky situation unless you want to make it so.

Make an appointment at the US consul for a new passport on July 8 now. Go with all the documents ready to apply for a new passport and see what they say. They may be able to expedite the passport for you which would be your best outcome. If not, you have wasted little time, you need the application and documents for a new PP anyway.

If you end up getting a new PP in the US, you just have to get new annual extensions here when you come back unless a Thai Consul in the states will transfer your extension and re entry into the new PP.

Going to Immigration and asking is the last thing you want to do. The US does not do partial passport cancellations as your friend suggested. Returning with less than 6 months on your PP would be unnecessarily risky with a large downside if it goes bad.

Your extension is still valid in your old passport. Just make sure that you have a reentry permit for the extension and you present BOTH passports upon arrival in Thailand. Afterwords go to immigration and your extension to stay will be transferred. If you do this in CNX the US Consulate automatically gives you a letter for immigration to asset you. CNX immigration requires this letter.

• Like 1

Counsalate there problem solved Like I say a friend I=of mine did it by mail when he was in Seattle with the one in Portlaand. Not sure I would trust therm.

It is not a tricky situation unless you want to make it so.

Make an appointment at the US consul for a new passport on July 8 now. Go with all the documents ready to apply for a new passport and see what they say. They may be able to expedite the passport for you which would be your best outcome. If not, you have wasted little time, you need the application and documents for a new PP anyway.

If you end up getting a new PP in the US, you just have to get new annual extensions here when you come back unless a Thai Consul in the states will transfer your extension and re entry into the new PP.

Going to Immigration and asking is the last thing you want to do. The US does not do partial passport cancellations as your friend suggested. Returning with less than 6 months on your PP would be unnecessarily risky with a large downside if it goes bad.

If he is going to LA I believe they have a consulate.

For a US citizen (and most other wesern coutries) the passport must be valid for the intended duration of stay, not for 6 months. So returning to Thailand will be no problem.

Moved to visa section, as that is the correct forum for this question.

• Like 2

For a US citizen (and most other wesern coutries) the passport must be valid for the intended duration of stay, not for 6 months. So returning to Thailand will be no problem.

Moved to visa section, as that is the correct forum for this question.

Is that how the airline check-in desk reads the rules?

Here is what the rules say that are shown on the IATA data base which all airlines have access to.

timlogo.gif

/ 03JUL14 / 0203 UTC

National USA (US) /Embarkation USA (US)
Destination Thailand (TH)

vi_de.gif
Thailand (TH)

in_on_no.gif
Passport required.
- Passports issued to nationals of USA must be valid for the

period of intended stay.

- for holders of normal passports;

Fill in the info here and you will can get info for your nationality. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

• Like 2

Why take a chance? If you do, it *might* be challenged by the air lines denying you permission to board. It only takes one zealous air line or Immigration employee to spoil your happy day...

If you decide to roll the dice, good luck smile.png

I had that problem about 3-4 years, they refused me at JFK airport because I didn't have 6 months left in my passport although I was going to Thailand for one month only. I had to go back to Toronto, Canada, paid for a very expensive return ticket, as it was at the last minute, I learned my lesson the hard way.

By the German Foreign Office's website holders of German passports need 6 months validity when entering, and that was exactly what the chap at Essen honorary consulate specifically told me when I got my multi non-o.

So for me with my passport valid through Sept. 20 that will mean I have to do a border-run and re-enter before March 20 and then either leave for Germany round June 20 or get a new passport locally.

Should I opt to get my new passport in Bangkok or Phnom Penh will I have to transfer my visa at immigration in Pattaya or can that be done at the border?

Will there be any fees involved?

Remember, if you get the whole new O-A in the States, it can be done for 200 + 55 for medical certificate (or less)....that is good for nearly 2 years......and unlimited re-entry the first year.....a lot of people are paying 6000 + 2000 + 3800 + 1500 for the Consulate letter, just for one year..........So, that could be a good option for you, but if you are strapped for time, get the new PP here. LA may be the best of the bunch, in the US....no ridiculous notarization requirements.

I have a similar problem when my O-A extension + mulit-entry permit is up in May. My passport will have slightly less than 6 mos. The way I understand is it would be best if I renew my passport as close to extension renewal as possible, then go to immigration for the renewals with both passports. Good info on the airline honoring ticket and passport with less than 6 mos., the next worry is will Thai immigration at the airport?

By the German Foreign Office's website holders of German passports need 6 months validity when entering, and that was exactly what the chap at Essen honorary consulate specifically told me when I got my multi non-o.

So for me with my passport valid through Sept. 20 that will mean I have to do a border-run and re-enter before March 20 and then either leave for Germany round June 20 or get a new passport locally.

Should I opt to get my new passport in Bangkok or Phnom Penh will I have to transfer my visa at immigration in Pattaya or can that be done at the border?

Will there be any fees involved?

For Germans it is passport validity for the length of stay. But in your case you need the 6 months to enter any nearby country when you leave to get another entry.

Visas are not transferred. You will have to use both passports to show your visa in the old one when you enter the country.

When you leave or go to immigration they will do an annotation with info about your visa and last entry into the country in your new passport.

• Like 1