Shaky Hands

boppia

I've notice a few fellows in their 50s and 60s whose hands shake when they hold things like forks. What is this shaking? Is it just old age? Is there a name for this condition? Do most men get it? The people I've seen with this don't seem that old. I would have thought something like this would come in your 70s or 80s.

:o

Well, it could be but it would seem strange that two people who I know who are foreigners have it. I don't know or see that mamy farangs here. It's common I guess but is it more prevalent among farangs in Thailand?

Perhaps anticipation of what's to come after the wife found out about the mia noi. :o

Seriously though, one of the following:

Tremors may be caused by:

* Too much coffee or other caffeinated drink

* Excessive alcohol consumption, alcoholism, or alcohol withdrawal

* Stress, anxiety, or fatigue -- these can cause a postural tremor

* Normal aging

* A variety of drugs and prescription medicines

* Low blood sugar

* Parkinson's disease -- this is the classic cause of a resting tremor and is often accompanied by slowness of movement, muscle rigidity, and an abnormal gait

* Multiple sclerosis -- can cause an intention tremor

* Over active thyroid -- can cause a postural tremor

My guess is its "the shakes" caused by drinking too much alcohol.

However, in addition to Tywais's post, shaking hands could be symptoms of the following:

Essential Tremor

From Wikipedia:

neurological disorder characterized by shaking of hands (and sometimes other parts of the body including the head), evoked by intentional movements. The incidence is unknown, but is estimated to be as common as one person in 20, and it is the most common type of tremor and also the most commonly observed movement disorder.

Essential tremor (ET) generally presents as a rhythmic tremor (4-12 Hz) that is present only when the affected muscle is exerting effort (i.e., it is not present at rest).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_tremor

or Benign Fasciculation

From Wikipedia:

Benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS) is a neurological disorder characterized by fasciculation of various voluntary muscles in the body. The twitching can occur in any voluntary muscle group but is most common in the eyelids, arms, legs, and feet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_fasciculation_syndrome

I have BFS every now and then when i haven't had enough sleep and am stressed out. Causes my neck to spasm/twitch which is quite debilitating (try reading something when your field of vision is shaking) but thankfully its not something serious like ALS or MS, and can be treated by going to bed early and avoiding stress. Cutting down on alcohol helps too :o

Well both of the people I am thinking of don't drink. One of them is very overweight and the other is quite thin and an active jogger. Some of possibilities listed could be the reason. I only see them shake when they lift their hands to take objects. Going back to the drinking, they may have been drinkers in their younger years.

Well both of the people I am thinking of don't drink. One of them is very overweight and the other is quite thin and an active jogger. Some of possibilities listed could be the reason. I only see them shake when they lift their hands to take objects. Going back to the drinking, they may have been drinkers in their younger years.

I have the Essential Tremor. I don't know if it is one in twenty as described in Wikepedia, but it is very common. What I have always found interesting is that alcohol actually helps calm the tremors, although try as I did, my doctor wouldn't perscribe alcohol. For me, I was perscribed inderal, but not having high blood pressure, I hate taking the medication (and don't).

I would think it is mainly from alcohol but if it isn't, alcohol must be a good treatment. One old man shook so bad in the morning that he had to tie a towel to his wrist, put the towel around his neck and use his other hand to pull up to be able to have his first drink of whiskey without spilling most of it. Within an hour or so he would quit shaking. (True story).

Perhaps anticipation of what's to come after the wife found out about the mia noi. :o

Seriously though, one of the following:

Tremors may be caused by:

* Too much coffee or other caffeinated drink

* Excessive alcohol consumption, alcoholism, or alcohol withdrawal

* Stress, anxiety, or fatigue -- these can cause a postural tremor

* Normal aging

* A variety of drugs and prescription medicines

* Low blood sugar

* Parkinson's disease -- this is the classic cause of a resting tremor and is often accompanied by slowness of movement, muscle rigidity, and an abnormal gait

* Multiple sclerosis -- can cause an intention tremor

* Over active thyroid -- can cause a postural tremor

Want to add: it happens in europe also if a tick bites you and you get an infection at the brain (can not recall the name of it). If you are lucky it heals (if not lucky wheelchair), but often a little shaking of the hands remains (my father+grandfather).