Thailand's rights of criminal suspects in European languages

webfact

Thailand's rights of criminal suspects in European languages

accuseds_rights-205x300.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Danish Embassy presents the ‘Handbook of Accused’s Rights’, in which the rights of those accused of a criminal offense in Thailand have been translated into 20 different European languages.

The book, which will be disseminated to Thai police stations, is the result of close cooperation between EU Member States represented in Thailand.

The Danish Embassy is glad to present the “Handbook of the Accused’s Rights”.

The handbook, which is finalised under the Danish EU-Presidency, contains a translation into 20 different European languages of the rights of persons, who are accused of a criminal offense in Thailand.

The handbook will be sent out to all police stations in Thailand, border immigration offices, and other authorities that deal with foreigners in conflict with the law in Thailand and it is a result of excellent cooperation between the EU Member States and the Kingdom of Thailand.

Source: Danish Embassy in Bangkok

Source: http://scandasia.com/thailands-rights-of-criminal-suspects-in-european-languages/

-- ScandAsia 2014-07-03

After English, do it in Russian, French, Mandarin, Korean, etc., etc. AND then, start picking up and throw out all the many thousands of non-Thais staying here while abusing the tourist visa system, who are having their own shady or criminal activities here, as individuals/gangs/companies, some even with the all too famous 'teaching' visa! Good riddance! NCPO, please, clean up that mess too! Even when quite some heads will need to fall in the immigration police, and 'associated' businesses 'easing up' things for non-clear/clean Farangs.

• Like 1

May I suggest That ThaiVisa contact the Dutch embassy for a copy to be posted on Thaivisa. wai2.gif

Dutch - Danish, same same but different?

indeed.thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

A bit like Australia/Austria ????

Seems to have taken a long time to produce when the basic essence of it is simply this:

"As a foreigner in Thailand, if you are arrested for any reason, your rights are what they tell you they are, irrespective of the actual law."

Simple. Job done.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"The Danish Embassy presents the ‘Handbook of Accused’s Rights’, in which the rights of those accused of a criminal offense in Thailand have been translated into 20 different European languages."

As with any person accused of a crime, whether Thai or foreign, ones rights are proportional to the amount of money to which they have access and are willing to fork over the the "proper" authorities. wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

And who you know first. Very important , then the money changes hands.

• Like 1

It took less than two minutes to find with Google. Here's the downloadable PDFs in various languages:

http://foreign.central.police.go.th/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=9&Itemid=3

When you connect with the site, scroll down to bottom of page and click on the language you want.

Edited by HerbalEd

I wonder if it will cover what to do when asked to sign a statement in Thai and advise that lawyers and police translators, including tourist police, often do not translate accurately and often intentionally mistranslate. Also the Thai language used is intentionally unclear so it can be interpreted in several widely different ways.

I wonder if it will cover the fact that your passport will be confiscated whether you pay bail or not and that if you do not have any Thai or residency, that you will have to pay for a guarantor of your bail who will want the vail amount issued in his name!

I wonder if it will cover the fact that you are still responsible for your visas and 90 days reporting and any fines arising because the court will not assist in those procedures at all. I wonder if it will point out no such rules apply to Thais.

I wonder if it will alert you to the fact that many court appointed translators have almost no a English skills and that you will be told to answer 'Yes' or 'No' to questions clearly designed to implicate you if answered in such a fashion.

I wonder if it will alert you that many translators, certainly those on the Embassy list will charge 3-5,000 baht per hour in court, that you will have at least 4 - 6 hearings and that the court will provide you no translator except to give your evidence so you have no clue what is going on.

I wonder if it will caution that the evidence you THINK you gave will likely be twisted to be something different by interruption and lawyers putting words the words they want into your evidence by over talking the translator (assumimg you have the good fortune to get a translator who is half way capable).

I wonder if it will caution that you have to sign the court report which includes your evidence on the day - all in Thai language and that there will be no opportunity for a proper translation. Added to which any evidence so tainted or mis recorded can and WILL be used against you.

There are a hundred other things I bet are not covered but it is great that a start as been made and I hope soon to be able to get hold of a copy - it might fill in a hundred other things I gave not come across or ever thought about in the way foreigners cannot receive a really fair trial as so much is stacked against them from the law itself to the legal procedures and blatant abuse of those procedures. Let's not forget even if the case is minor and the court award 1 baht or 1 hour in prison. any criminal charge proven will result in your deportation without time to organize your affairs.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

It took less than two minutes to find with Google. Here's the downloadable PDFs in various languages:

http://foreign.central.police.go.th/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=9&Itemid=3

When you connect with the site, scroll down to bottom of page and click on the language you want.

Wow - I just read it - took less time to read than for you to find it and mostly repetitive. And this is the result of the close co-operation between the EU and the Thais? I wonder how much money was spent on trips and expenses for its production? Not wishing to bash the idea but really it is close to hopeless.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

May I suggest That ThaiVisa contact the Dutch embassy for a copy to be posted on Thaivisa. wai2.gif

Dutch - Danish, same same but different?

indeed.thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

A bit like Australia/Austria ????

Or Sweden/Switzerland

And now foreigners just have to learn how to ask for it and to insist that the rules be followed.

Question (to be answered by some that knows, not a cynical guess, please).

What is likely to happen if an accused and arrested foreigner insists on his rights when they are being denied him. For example the list of rights includes the right to immediately contact a relative. If the police don't let you, what do you do, and if you don't cooperate in other matters because you are standing on your rights, what will they do?