Confiscated supercars auctioned in Bangkok

webfact

CUSTOMS
Confiscated supercars auctioned in Klong Toei

The Nation

30237714-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Customs Department yesterday hosted an event at its head office in Bangkok's Klong Toei district to auction off 357 confiscated cars, including a Lamborghini Aventador, two Ferraris, seven Audis, 15 Jaguars and 31 Bentleys.

Bidding on the Lamborghini opened at Bt19 million and reached as high as Bt23 million, but officials didn't release it because it failed to reach the Bt25 million target, calculated as the assessed value plus taxes.

Presiding over the annual auction, department director general Somchai Sujjapongse said the department and related agencies had also returned eight cars stolen from Malaysia to the Malaysian ambassador to Bangkok, Dato Nazirah binti Hussain, as the cars were evidence in completed criminal cases that had no defendant.

Somchai said the department expected to make Bt600 million for the state from this annual auction.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Confiscated-supercars-auctioned-in-Klong-Toei-30237714.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-04

• Like 2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Auctions can have a reserve price, if not met, then goods not sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we are talking about cars here which are n most of the world a depreciating asset. Maybe they will sell it next year at the price they want along with all the deteriorating rice.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by timewilltell

The ironic part here is that in a few months or so, there will be another round of the same,

as nobody will learn anything from that, the shady importers will continue to run the gauntlet,

and the custom guys will continue to confiscate and sell those cars, the eternal and perpetuating

cat and mouse games, Thais like to play.....

Couldn't they put a better looking girl?

That's why the Lamborghini didn't reach the reserved price.whistling.gif

"Couldn't they put a better looking girl?" That's not a very nice comment to make. Ugly woman (or is it a ladyboy?) have a right to work too!

Couldn't they put a better looking girl?

That's why the Lamborghini didn't reach the reserved price.whistling.gif

"Couldn't they put a better looking girl?" That's not a nice comment to make. Ugly women (Or is it ladyboy?) have the right to work to.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There are a lot of filthy rich people in Thailand. I see more expensive vehicles on Thai roads than I have ever seen on Aussie roads.

Taking a Bentley out in OZ you run the risk of a fifty cent coin being run down the side of the car, HK is the place for luxury cars and the top speed limit is 90 kph on the way to the airport, say's something.

There are a lot of filthy rich people in Thailand. I see more expensive vehicles on Thai roads than I have ever seen on Aussie roads.

Yup, many, many more than most people realize . . . and they even paid 200-300% more than anyone in the West would have done for the same car . . . they have shitloads of money to burn.

I thought an auction was bidding and the highest bid won got the prize. Since when can anyone refuse to give you what you would bid on if you won the auction? Truly amazing Thailand!!!

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not at all - you plainly know little about auctions ...

A person selling anything through auction can set a 'reserve price' - the minimum price the seller expects and the price under which the seller will not go below. This is normal practice and nothing unusual at all. Haven't you ever used Ebay?

Nothing amazing about it at all.

it's still stupid...if you have a reserve price of 25 million...why start the bidding below the reserve price in this case 19 million...seems a waste of time...so the first bidders have no hope of getting the car why are they bidding...

more stupid human tricks...

• Like 1

I thought an auction was bidding and the highest bid won got the prize. Since when can anyone refuse to give you what you would bid on if you won the auction? Truly amazing Thailand!!!

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yet another dig at Thailand. Nothing to do with Amazing Thailand" Anyone selling at auction anywhere in the world can impose a reserve price. If the bidding does not reach the reserve price then the item is withdrawn. Nothing underhand, very simple and totally within the rules.

I think you will find that the car is much more of a vanity item here.

Don't think it is much different than the western world, ok a bit more perhaps depending on which western country. My thoughts if someone is driving a Lamborghini is they don't have it for comfort and family values but for prestige and the 'look at me' syndrome. I remember the very first car I got stood out loudly in the crowd and I did feel a sense of pride driving it.

However, at first everywhere I went it was stared/gawked at whether driving or sitting still. Felt good about it but after awhile become more annoyed and paranoid about being noticed so much, especially by the state troopers. smile.png

• Like 1

I can't understand why so many here drive "Toorak Tractors". (4WD tanks driven by folk from a wealthy Melbourne suburb).

The narrow little sois just outside Chiang Mai city have us all hugging the gutter to let one of these 'tractors' bulldoze through.

What's the betting these things never leave a city road?