Phuket bike gang knife and rob two foreign tourists

webfact

I like guns. Shoot the bastards. If people can not have guns why do cops not do the job?

If you had a gun legally, so would those bastards. Think.

They will have guns, legally or illegally. In Brazil, the thugs make guns. It's not that hard to do.

Better to be with than to be without.

Incorrect, In Brazil the police sell the guns to the "Thugs"

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in the U.S., the authorities ordered gun dealers to do it! It was called "Fast & Furious".

Even gun-toting criminals (which are probably unavoidable as they by definition don't care what the law says about it...) suddenly "care" when the possibility arises that their intended victim might be armed...

I just have thoughts why people risk much by being on the road in the dark of the night. The Italian at 3 am, let him bring home by a female on a bike (bike does not necessarily mean motorbike). Why he didn't take a taxi? More safe I would say.

Then the Russian woman decides to take a ride on her bike along the beach at 3.30 am.... dark as the night, why risk being attacked? Stay in your hotel or if you really have to be outside, take some safe transportation!

A taxi in Phuket at 3am.......aren't we told not to carry too much money!

It is a tourist Island, there is night life to 2am and beyond.

If people have to stay in their hotel because it isn't safe out there they aren't going to have much of a holiday are they. I say it is Thailand's responsibility to protect the tourists/guests. As stated elsewhere many other countries appreciate the business they bring and take special steps to ensure they are safe and treated well. Thailand starts robbing them as soon as they get out of the airport.....

Edited by jacko45k

I bet implementing a punitive fine -say about 500 baht- would bring this non sense to a swift end smile.png

Crime against foreigners is like free money and there is very little down side risk for the locals participating...

Little down side risk? 500 Bhat fine? This is attempted murder in the commission of a felony robbery. How about a mandatory sentence of 10 years in the worst prison in Thailand. No bribes, no probation, nothing buy 10 years. That might change some behavior when it is believed by the scum committing these crimes.

• Like 1

It appears Phuket has caught up with Pattaya as being a dangerous destination for tourists.

I know that in Pattaya the Thais have strong contemptuous attitudes towards farangs, even more so over the last few years since the influx of East Europeans to that area.

In my opinion the crimes perpetrated against tourists both in Phuket and Pattaya have now reached rampant levels and these resorts are best avoided. Anyone who decides to holiday at those coastal resorts do so at their own risk and discretion.

I just have thoughts why people risk much by being on the road in the dark of the night. The Italian at 3 am, let him bring home by a female on a bike (bike does not necessarily mean motorbike). Why he didn't take a taxi? More safe I would say.

Then the Russian woman decides to take a ride on her bike along the beach at 3.30 am.... dark as the night, why risk being attacked? Stay in your hotel or if you really have to be outside, take some safe transportation!

Thailand and Phuket it still considered relatively safe,going out at late night here it`s not similar to venturing out in cities like Caracas and Lagos.

Safe(and rip off prices) transportation.............right rolleyes.gif !!

In my opinion the crimes perpetrated against tourists both in Phuket and Pattaya have now reached rampant levels and these resorts are best avoided. Anyone who decides to holiday at those coastal resorts do so at their own risk and discretion.

Or, as an alternative, you may consider going, enjoying, and being back in your hotel room (or at least in the same neighborhood) before 02:00- dawn when most of these news stories seem to occur.

I'm not excusing anything, but it seems pretty easy to reduce the risk of becoming a statistic with a little common sense. Especially in an unfamiliar territory where I really do not understand the lay of the land.

Edited by impulse

It appears Phuket has caught up with Pattaya as being a dangerous destination for tourists.

I know that in Pattaya the Thais have strong contemptuous attitudes towards farangs, even more so over the last few years since the influx of East Europeans to that area.

"rampant levels"

English isn`t my first language,so I just guess that you`re being ironic.............right smile.png ??

I bet implementing a punitive fine -say about 500 baht- would bring this non sense to a swift end smile.png

Crime against foreigners is like free money and there is very little down side risk for the locals participating...

Little down side risk? 500 Bhat fine? This is attempted murder in the commission of a felony robbery. How about a mandatory sentence of 10 years in the worst prison in Thailand. No bribes, no probation, nothing buy 10 years. That might change some behavior when it is believed by the scum committing these crimes.

500 baht fine, It was sarcasm. In the recent past many locals that have beat foreigners un conscience have been fined 500 baht. Get it? :)

I loved Phuket in terms of the natural beauty, but I had a few experiences with locals that just felt outright threatening. Once in particular when I stopped my bike at a roadside bar just south of Patong on the hill when I got caught in a torrential rain outburst. Nobody spoke English, and about 30 minutes later some very shady and decidedly unfriendly locals -- one who arrived in a truck with a police tag on it -- started drinking there and shooting me looks. I chose to brave the rain rather than stay there.

Give Puket a miss and go to Pattaya which is much safer and has more to Offer to all travellers.

There are beautiful beaches, great hotels, lovely women and trannies and much more Tourist police looking after tourists. A great place for solo travellers and families too with great shopping and sight seeing too. Paradise on Earth

There's trannies in Phuket too, Jack. You wouldn't be lonely if you actually visited, instead of just sharing your valuable opinion on a forum.

Phuket has somewhere between 2 and 3 million tourists visiting each year and there's only one or two stabbing incidents against tourists each year. Most of the violent crimes are Thai on Thai or Burma on Burma.

Statistically the Island is probably a much safer place than whatever city you come from in the western world.

For the people who are too scared to visit Phuket because they read about the occasional incident like this, you create much mirth and incredulity for us locals. How the hell did you manage to gather enough courage to get on a plane and scurry to your little Issan village!!

..."create much mirth and incredulity for us locals"... not to mention what they're probably NOT doing for your property values, eh? "Scared" to visit"? 'Should read, "have more sense than to visit"...

Yeap, 2 or 3 stabbing incidents per year. That's it. Nothing more worth mentioning. Phuket a totally peaceful, tourist-loving, crime-free, scam-free, laid-back place. 'Has been for years. All the rest is just a vast anti-Phuket conspiracy.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post all the way from the good ol US of A, Hawker.

No crime there right, because you and your ilk are allowed to blow away everyone with your assault rifles? All's right in the land of the free! What's the matter, don't they let you come to Thailand fully armed?

Incidentally, they've now caught this gang of druggie adolescents who were doing these robberies. All but one were too young to name.

Why? On one side, because they have been getting away with it for too long and have no respect for the law and complete disregard for others. On the other side, a total lack of enforcement. In the middle, the tourists who regularly get robbed, injured and murdered.

Are you proposing police works 24 hours? Are you insane?

TAT Announcement: "Come to Phuket for the unique holiday experience of being kicked off your bike, knifed and robbed. What exciting stories to tell all your family and friends when you return home!"

As the easy money from the traditional western tourist market dries up on Phuket, you can expect to see a lot more crime on Phuket, both violent and pettry crime.

Drug abuse, particularly ice and amphetamine, is rife on Phuket.

Also, corruption, scams and rips will also increase. What the Army changes here, will see corruption move to a different area, and the scams and rip offs evolve, as economic times get tough on Phuket.

Ten years ago a city in The Philippines introduced standard sentencing for anyone that was convicted of any sort of crime against a foreign tourist. Punishment was 2 years jail and crime against tourists almost disappeared. Of course tourism progressed at an amazing rate. A thought

Vietnam has a similar policy.

Any crime committed against a tourist is automaticaly double the sentence. Their tourism industry is also booming.

You obviously do not live on Phuket. There are no taxis metered taxis on Phuket and/or baht buses.

Yes, if there was proper public transport here, many lives would be saved, and most, if not all, would escape being a victim of this type of crime.

How many motorbike "accidents" here were possble murders?

Kicked off their bike, robbed, and died as the scene, but the death is recorded as a motorbike accident, not a murder.

• Like 1

Ten years ago a city in The Philippines introduced standard sentencing for anyone that was convicted of any sort of crime against a foreign tourist. Punishment was 2 years jail and crime against tourists almost disappeared. Of course tourism progressed at an amazing rate. A thought

sounds good 2 me

2004- Thailand records 11.7 million visitors

2013- Thailand records 26.7 million visitors

Seems visitors can't get enough of the local crime and scams smile.png

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

"Seems visitors can't get enough of the local crime and scams" - you have quotes tourists figures for Thailand, yet state "visitors can't get enough of the LOCAL crime and scams."

Numbers may be up for Thailand, but how about Phuket?

Numbers may also be up for Phuket, due to the new demographic of tourist coming here, but money (profits) are down, way down, which causes crime, corruption, scams and rip offs to go up.

Many westerns who used to holiday on Phuket, now holiday elsewhere in Thailand. They are still part of your statistics, but Phuket no longer sees 1 baht from them.

Edited by NamKangMan

Give Puket a miss and go to Pattaya which is much safer and has more to Offer to all travellers.

There are beautiful beaches, great hotels, lovely women and trannies and much more Tourist police looking after tourists. A great place for solo travellers and families too with great shopping and sight seeing too. Paradise on Earth

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif​ never heard Pattaya described quite like that, do you work for TAT...Naaa !!! come to think of it they could not come up anything as good as that...

The question really is, "Have you ever heard Phuket described in such a negative way before, by many, thus making Pattaya look more attractive when compared to Phuket?" :)

• Like 1

A week ago I made the following post in another thread:

"During the last World Cup there was a noticeable spike in crimes against the person. Got to pay those gambling debts.

There is something of a perfect storm brewing for crime here in Phuket. Tuk tuk income gone, beach front business income gone, beach chair income gone, massive vacancies in the hotel sector AND the world cup.

Take care one and all."

I am not a "I told you so kinda guy".

But

I told you so.

Harsh economic times will still be around for Phuket, long after the World Cup has finished.

Phuket was always heading in this direction, as the tradition western market detoured Phuket for other destinations.

I have no idea who TAT is!!

I'm from Australia and I visit Pattaya every year.

It is an undiscovered Paradise and has no Tsunami's!

There are great beaches in Kolat and beyond and Jomtien too .

It's not all about Walking Street.

TAT = Tourism Authority of Thailand

'Kolat' is actually Koh Larn, the small island that's in front of Pattaya (just 40' by boat from South Pattaya Pier) and you are right, the beaches there are gorgeous, even though most of them have been taken over by mass tourism from China and/or rude Russians. But still, one or two are really nice, and the Russians are improving !

The transport out to these islands off Pattaya has improved in recent times. there are a variety of boats, prices and the frequency of departure have all increased.

Pattaya Beach is terrible, but the beaches on these small islands, just a short boat trip away, are great.

Historically, Phuket has alway demanded high prices, and attracted the more affluent tourists, due to its nicer beaches and environment, but this has been ruined by Phuket outpricing itself, and the lack of transport to them and the scams and rip offs.

Despite its massive sex trade, Pattaya has become popular lately. I have no doubt it has picked up a lot of ex-Phuket tourists.

Pattaya is a city in it's own right, it has proximity to Bankok Airport, adult nightlife, cheap public transport, has a variety of shows, activities and sports on offer, a wide variety of accommodation, restaurants and bars, is generally more affordable, is safer, has big shopping centers etc.

Pattaya used to have a bad reputation - it probably still does, but how bad has Phuket's reputation become, that sees tourist who used to come to Phuket, now holiday in Pattaya, with even some first timers to Thailand chosing Pattaya over Phuket. This was unthinkable just 5 years ago.

• Like 2

He didn't take the taxi because there are none in Karon at the moment. All of the drivers are in jail awaiting prosection for extortion and other crimes of violence.

"there are none in Karon at the moment" - it's not like there actually were taxis here before those arrests anyway.

• Like 1

Love it when idiots blame people who are just living their life for being attacked. Their is no blame except on these morons. It's like saying some women shouldn't dress a certain way cause they are asking to get raped. This type of thinking pisses me off. We should be able to live our life at any hour of the day. Especially in Thailand.

"We should be able to live our life at any hour of the day. Especially in Thailand." - I agree with your post. Perhaps you could tell that to the tuk-tuk drivers, and the jet-ski operators. biggrin.png

No need for sarcasm!

There was a time when a post like that was seen as sarcastic - not anymore. :)

The last time an event occurred like this was when the female Australian travel agent was sadly fatally stabbed and robbed in what was considered an opportunistic attack, June 2012, just over two-years ago.

It will be interesting to see what social-economic background the actual perpetrators come from that inspired them to commit such a crime. In reality, in comparison to other high-profile locations, there is not one city in the world that can be deemed as particularly safe at 3am. However, irrespective of the risk to public safety in spite of this, the doomsayers will still take great pleasure in casting their dark cloud fear upon Phuket once again.

have you forgotten the pregnant woman that was raped at knifepoint in a bush after being kicked off her bike just a few months ago?

Sorry, I was referring to similar attacks on tourist’s as stated “event occurred like this”.

Crimes against the public happen every day in every city around the world for different reasons.

As I understand, the pregnant woman that was kicked off the motorbike and raped & robbed was not a tourist and the location of the incident was at the opposite end of the island.

Why do you believe the two-events are similar in nature?

Edited by MK1

There's trannies in Phuket too, Jack. You wouldn't be lonely if you actually visited, instead of just sharing your valuable opinion on a forum.

Phuket has somewhere between 2 and 3 million tourists visiting each year and there's only one or two stabbing incidents against tourists each year. Most of the violent crimes are Thai on Thai or Burma on Burma.

Statistically the Island is probably a much safer place than whatever city you come from in the western world.

For the people who are too scared to visit Phuket because they read about the occasional incident like this, you create much mirth and incredulity for us locals. How the hell did you manage to gather enough courage to get on a plane and scurry to your little Issan village!!

"there's only one or two stabbing incidents against tourists each year." - so, Phuket has now met it's "stabbing of tourists" quota for the year.

Phuket will not have any more stabbings of tourists until next year. Phuket will be safe for the next 6 months, now's the time to visit. biggrin.png

Beautiful beaches! can anyone find them under all those beach umbrellas, and when you can, you will find no sand, just 'orrible grit. rolleyes.gif

I think the member is talking about the few islands that have nice beaches and are a short boat trip from Pattaya.

The below link is one of them.

http://kohlarn.com/

I have no idea who TAT is!!

I'm from Australia and I visit Pattaya every year.

It is an undiscovered Paradise and has no Tsunami's!

There are great beaches in Kolat and beyond and Jomtien too .

It's not all about Walking Street.

mmmmmmm! Pattaya appears to have changed a hell of a lot since i made my one and last visit about 6 years ago.

What positive changes for locals, tourists and expats have you seen on Phuket in the last 6 years? biggrin.png