Haliburton And Employment Contractors/agencies?

I am aware that Haliburton is among the largest employers in the Songkhla area for expats.

I am also aware that (from people I have spoken to) Haliburton is able to hire people (foreigners) that are presently in Thailand. (as far as I know......correct me if otherwise).

I would like to know how one can go about applying for a job with this company. I am currently in Songkhla. Of course I would have to see what opportunities are currently available.

Also, can anyone tell me if there are any legitimate (trustworthy and knowledgeable) employment agencies that specialize in assisting expats in their job search with major companies (foreign) in Thailand? I am assuming I would have to pay a fee if they exist? how much?

As you can see I am keeping this very brief for now, but will give further details as this thread develops.

Thanks

You will indeed need experience in the oil and gas business. Try a google search on "oil and gas jobs Thailand".

The fact is there is very much an "old boys network" in the industry and most jobs are given to someone who knows someone, etc.

The industry is booming these days and if you have the experience, you might get lucky

TH

You will indeed need experience in the oil and gas business. Try a google search on "oil and gas jobs Thailand".

The fact is there is very much an "old boys network" in the industry and most jobs are given to someone who knows someone, etc.

The industry is booming these days and if you have the experience, you might get lucky

TH

Currently I am teaching out here in LOS. I been out here about a year. I would like to get out of teaching and remain in Thailand. What industries are in demand these days for foreigners in Thailand (aside from teaching)?

Industries that are in demand where you can make substantially more than teaching?

Edited by sanook mai?

TH

Currently I am teaching out here in LOS. I been out here about a year. I would like to get out of teaching and remain in Thailand. What industries are in demand these days for foreigners in Thailand (aside from teaching)?

Industries that are in demand where you can make substantially more than teaching?

I hate to be harsh, but you need to be a little bit more on the ball here. I think I told you what "industries are in demand where you can make substantially more than teaching". What part of oil and gas did you not understand?

TJ

Edited by thaihome

TH

I hate to be harsh, but you need to be a little bit more on the ball here. I think I told you what "industries are in demand where you can make substantially more than teaching". What part of oil and gas did you not understand?

TJ

TJ:

So in other words you are telling me that the oil and gas industry is the only way to make money in Thailand? (I am aware of other areas that are possible). I am just trying to find out what people know here.

So there is no way to get an entry level job in the oil and gas field then?

I may have to find something entry level if I was to switch at this point otherwise I will have to stick to teaching.

No offense taken TJ. I hope the same applies here.

Thanks.

So in other words you are telling me that the oil and gas industry is the only way to make money in Thailand? (I am aware of other areas that are possible). I am just trying to find out what people know here.

I may have to find something entry level if I was to switch at this point otherwise I will have to stick to teaching.

No offense taken TH. I hope the same applies here.

Thanks.

Many entry level jobs in the industry, it is just that companies do not send entry level people overseas nor employ inexperienced contract-hires. Few people successfully go out and get high paying expat jobs by specifying it has to be in Thailand. What you want to do is work overseas somewhere. If you get lucky, you eventually get an assignment in Thailand.

My advice is to try and get an entry level position in a major (or not so major) engineering and construction company in their home office in the US, UK, Australia, or Europe (depending on your nationality), work real hard and make it known you will work anywhere under any conditions and after a couple of years, you will a real expat. :o

TH

TH

TJ

TJ:

No offense taken TJ. I hope the same applies here.

Thanks.

I work in the oil industry and started my career with Halliburton. The only way you will get an overseas position is as a supervisor or staff engineer. Either way you will need to start at the bottom and get promoted. One thing to keep in mind the oil industry is a dangerous business if you work in the field. There are many ways to get hurt or worse considering your dealing with flammables, high pressure, nasty chemicals and poisonous gases. I haven't worked in Thailand but "safety first" isn't something I associate with Thais. I prefer working in a developed country then commuting home to Thailand.

I haven't worked in Thailand but "safety first" isn't something I associate with Thais. I prefer working in a developed country then commuting home to Thailand.

I work in the oil and gas industry and I have worked for twelve years in O&G in Thailand (Engineering/Design/Construction/Commissioning - Upstream). I have been very impressed with the levels of safety compliance on the Thai projects I have worked on.

I chose to move from Thailand for reasons relating to the reduction of pay and conditions, a direct result of improved Thai experience and expats begging to be allowed to stay in Thailand.

I think the golden years of being an O&G expat in Thailand have passed. Thai mamagers, engineers, designers, operators, maintenance crews are doing a superb job at a fraction of the price.

A few expats hang around on dwindling deals and there will be a very few who still get the full expat deal, but these are assigned to project specific rolls and almost exclusively are reserved for long term staffers with the exact experience the project requires.

Right now well qualified O&G engineers can pick up (₤)six figure pay deals in Europe and a lot more in the middle east/Russia/Caucases.

If you want to go the O&G route, start outside Thailand and earn real money to holiday/retire in Thailand.

Touching on what Thaihome said earlier, one of my duties is interviewing applicants for jobs – I regularly come across people who, during their interview, press the desire to work in Thailand – It draws into doubt the applicant’s motives and is an immediate message that the applicant is not interested in going to a lot of the other less desirable places we work.

Thaihome is correct

I spent 8 long years in West Africa before I was able to come over to Thailand. I will never set foot in Warri again (though I had a number of fun nights in "Aunties Kitchen" in Warri - anybody else been there?)

That was 6 years ago now and I have been been very happy working here ever since.

Yes I could get a better wage in UK and elsewhere but I'm settled here right now

Edited by Ian_B

I haven't worked in Thailand but "safety first" isn't something I associate with Thais. I prefer working in a developed country then commuting home to Thailand.

I work in the oil and gas industry and I have worked for twelve years in O&G in Thailand (Engineering/Design/Construction/Commissioning - Upstream). I have been very impressed with the levels of safety compliance on the Thai projects I have worked on.

I chose to move from Thailand for reasons relating to the reduction of pay and conditions, a direct result of improved Thai experience and expats begging to be allowed to stay in Thailand.

I think the golden years of being an O&G expat in Thailand have passed. Thai mamagers, engineers, designers, operators, maintenance crews are doing a superb job at a fraction of the price.

A few expats hang around on dwindling deals and there will be a very few who still get the full expat deal, but these are assigned to project specific rolls and almost exclusively are reserved for long term staffers with the exact experience the project requires.

Right now well qualified O&G engineers can pick up (₤)six figure pay deals in Europe and a lot more in the middle east/Russia/Caucases.

If you want to go the O&G route, start outside Thailand and earn real money to holiday/retire in Thailand.

Touching on what Thaihome said earlier, one of my duties is interviewing applicants for jobs – I regularly come across people who, during their interview, press the desire to work in Thailand – It draws into doubt the applicant’s motives and is an immediate message that the applicant is not interested in going to a lot of the other less desirable places we work.

I agree with you and am glad to hear that they take safety seriously in the O&G industry here. Its too bad they don't in other industries especially construction.

I agree with you and am glad to hear that they take safety seriously in the O&G industry here. Its too bad they don't in other industries especially construction.

I believe we are actually talking about the construction business, at least I am. I do agree that the smaller contractors here on not real good about safety. I do see that major projects have safety programs in place, and depending on the contractor, are very safety conscious. We have many projects in Thailand with millions of work hours without anyone getting hurt.

Also, the Thai Government is increasingly getting involved; similar to what took place in the construction industry in the US over last the 50 years or so. There are many countries much worse then Thailand.

TH

Take everyones advice. It's extremely difficult to get a job in Thailand unless you are transferred there or you want to keep doing the teaching thing. I didn't say it's impossible, but don't hold your breath for something to open up.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think you gave any information on your background. What were your studies?

I have a science background (only BS) and I've given up on the idea of moving there, although I do have a friend in Thailand that keeps their eyes open. In the mean time, although I have a steady job already, I continue to look at the bigger companies (oil and gas, power utilities etc) that are looking for people in their environmental departments. If I get in to one of those...who knows, some time down the road I could get transferred. If not, at least I'll get paid well and be able to vacation there :o Having a Masters degree probably wouldn't hurt either...I'm looking at that too.

Jamie