Usb Problem -- Help!

Oswulf

Both my mouse and printer have stopped working. It seems to be a USB problem. Everything looks OK in device manager. If I delete all the USB drivers they are reinstalled when I reboot the PC.

If I delete the printer drivers and reboot, the printer is not detected (it is a modern P'n'P printer).

The mouse doesn't have its own driver so I can't uninstall/reinstall the mouse driver. Anyway, the computer completely fails to detect it when I plug it in/unplug it.

I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions for what I can try next? Thanks.

(I'm running Windows XP SP-2, for what it's worth.)

Both my mouse and printer have stopped working. It seems to be a USB problem. Everything looks OK in device manager. If I delete all the USB drivers they are reinstalled when I reboot the PC.

If I delete the printer drivers and reboot, the printer is not detected (it is a modern P'n'P printer).

The mouse doesn't have its own driver so I can't uninstall/reinstall the mouse driver. Anyway, the computer completely fails to detect it when I plug it in/unplug it.

Plug it in in a other number of port (i.e. not always the mouse in the same port 1 or 2) - sometimes helps.

A bit of a long shot, but what the heck, it can't shouldn't hurt. Create a restore point now. I'm assuming you haven't added or changed hardware/software recently so look for a restore point several days ago and restore to it, then try the USB devices again.

In addition to restore points, I also use a very simple and idiot-proof registry backup/restore utility called ERUNT available at http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ just in case the restore screws up there is another tool available to straighten things out. One caution on ERUNT, if you set it on automatic it will do a registry backup every single reboot - something you may not want because that can start to take a lot of space, so you may want to remove it from the startup folder after you install it. Of course I am suggesting you run it now before doing the restore.

Peter

Check your BIOS and IRQ settings. If the IRQ assigned to your USB port is being used by something else then they won't work. However, for the record, i have seen several computers with hardware faults on USB - hopefully this won't be the case with your machine.

hi'

to make short ;

your usb controler is off, for one reason or another it's turned off, you can check in control panel/system/hardware/devices management...

do you see a yellow question mark?

re enable it and of can't reinstall MB drivers for usb

did you try to update the MB software (chip drivers), sometimes, help ...

francois

I doubt it's off if everything still registers in device manager. Sounds a lot like a hardware problem. These are connected directly to the mainboard, right? (If not, it might just be a loose connector inside the case) Try connecting other things, like a thumb drive, and see if they work.