Wi-Fi in Bangkok -- TRUE, AIS, DTAC etc

Chao Lao Beach

I am not talking about 3G - 4G subscription but all those little wi-fi boxes around the place.

I have been told that you can subscribe fr about 70b a month by putting a code into a site for each company.

It was suggested that it is still good to have 3G but you can save alot of data allowance by using the wi-fi option.

How good is it?

Is what I have been told true ?

Thanks.

Very true, but ability to use the service depends on 'their' location. Generally the Hotspots can be found around Airports, Shopping Centers, Hospitals, 7/11s, Family Marts, or other places with high foot traffic.

When I rented a house in Chiang Khong I didn't know how long I'd be there so Luckily I just put a USB WiFi stick on a couple of long USB extension cables and hung it outside and had 10 mbps unlimited access for ฿99/mo. There are some limitations (as it's not a dedicated circuit, so carrier grade NAT). The account can only be used with one device at a time (locked to the MAC address, need to log out to be able to use the same account with another device).

WiFi Hotspot service usually runs ฿ 69 - 107 depending on the Carrier/Provider for the month.

Started by pilm , 2013-04-14 16:27 -- 52 replies to this topic
AIS and DTAC also partners with 3BB for wifi Hotspots (over 60,000 wifi spots nationwide) so if you have a Mobile Phone it's easiest if you sign up through the carrier and let them instantly deduct 25฿/week from your mobile account.

AIS only AIS + 3BB DTAC only just 3BB

Once you have your 4-digit One-Time-Password delivered via SMS, look for an WiFi SSID of AISwifi, 3BB_WiFi, 3bb_Hotspot or Cyberpoint then enter the subscriber mobile number as username and OTP as password. AISwifi and 3BB_WiFi can be set to autologin.

Wifi network provided by Cyberpoint is limited to 1 hour/day. Ugh. gotta love the small print.

You can also buy true WiFi access cards at TRUE coffee shops around Bangkok; about B150/30days.

Last year, when i was still carrying a "WiFi only" tablet around, I tried both TRUE and AIS WiFi. At that time, TRUE seemed to have more hot spots and wider coverage in outer neighborhoods.

Never tried BB.

• 1 year later...