Threatened with murder, Italian stab victim now under Phuket police protection

Lite Beer

Tony aka Anthony Vito Corleone was the son of Michael and Sonny's given name was Santino not Santiago

Yep, quite right on both. Tony was Michael and Kay's boy, became a musician or something. I clearly need to bush up my Godfather.

S

And he left Sicily just after the turn of the century (not the 30's) returning in the 1920's to exact his revenge on Don Ciccio.thumbsup.gif

He put himself in danger and made himseif a target.

In fact, what he did went way beyond investagitive journalism, it's more like he was a part of it and then he "defected" and grassed the others.

The Thai police cannot protect him forever, and frankly he'll get no sympathy from me..

You really don't have a clue of what you are talking about, do you. He did not "go beyond" investigative journalism at all. He did precisely what investigative journalists do - insert themselves into perilous situations to expose all sorts of evils. Google Andrew Drummond - a local - and learn some more about it. One of the saddest things about the slow death of newspapers is the demise of investigative reporting - it's just too costly. Even the greatest investigative newspapers ever, the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post, no longer give whole-hearted support to probing reporters like they used to. These days it's just the freelancers like Papaleo, who survive on minimal resources and support. He gets lots of sympathy from me.

I agree - and Thailand could be doing with a couple of hundred guys like him.

The greatest loss to the UK when the News of the World shut down was losing the "Fake Sheikh." That guy brought so many people to book it was unbelievable.

Roger Cook was another fearless reporter - and at one time in the UK we had genius investigative reporters working for World in Action and Panorama.

These people should be lauded.

• Like 1

someone will be on a flight to Phuket as we read...Patong police and protection.....is that the monthly fee kind the bars pay

What we have seen from the NCPO thus far, and especially their efforts in cleaning up the Phuket cesspit that was replete with corrupt coppers, gives me some confidence that the new regime will do their duty.

Had the shinawatras still been in power I wouldn't have given you tuppence for his mortal coil

How did you manage to involve the Shinawatras in this?? There should be a Godwins law for somehow mentioning a connection with Thaksin in every news story in Thailand.

• Like 1

Using young gangs for hits is not unwise, nor uncommon, in Asia. Why risk sending your best hit man for an easy target? After being spotted in a tourist area, late night drinking.... I would think the most obvious way to accomplish this would be to scout out the local gang sittuation.

I know gangs of children in the Philippines, yes ...boys less than 13 years old, that are in gangs. These gangs are then hired to perform hits. One was a Baranguay Captain in a well known Foreign Bar district, about 10 years ago. They simply approached him and shot him. All got away with it, although the locals know who they are.

Not surprised.

Edited by slipperylobster

In fact, what he did went way beyond investagitive journalism, it's more like he was a part of it and then he "defected" and grassed the others.

The Thai police cannot protect him forever, and frankly he'll get no sympathy from me..

You really don't have a clue of what you are talking about, do you. He did not "go beyond" investigative journalism at all. He did precisely what investigative journalists do - insert themselves into perilous situations to expose all sorts of evils. Google Andrew Drummond - a local - and learn some more about it. One of the saddest things about the slow death of newspapers is the demise of investigative reporting - it's just too costly. Even the greatest investigative newspapers ever, the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post, no longer give whole-hearted support to probing reporters like they used to. These days it's just the freelancers like Papaleo, who survive on minimal resources and support. He gets lots of sympathy from me.

The greatest loss to the UK when the News of the World shut down was losing the "Fake Sheikh." That guy brought so many people to book it was unbelievable.

Roger Cook was another fearless reporter - and at one time in the UK we had genius investigative reporters working for World in Action and Panorama.

Mazher Mahmood the 'Fake Sheik' is still going strong, he went to work for another Murdoch paper the Sunday Times after the demise of NOTW and won Reporter of the year in 2011 for his expose of match fixing by Pakistani cricketers. Although he used dubious methods in the past in a number of cases and some 'failed exposes' against some British anti war MPs were seen at the time as being politically motivated rather than having any journalistic value.

• Like 1

A gripping story of how mafia contacts are spread throughout the world. Due to our technology networks, no one can escape worldwide surveillance. I'm glad to see a good-looking "Farang" male who doesn't look corrupt and sleazy here in Phuket. He obviously doesn't live here. A journalist even exposing corruption. A dying breed. Everything is made so clear and black and white in Thailand. In other countries whistleblowers get "suicided" or killed off in more covert ways. He's still not safe. The good thing is that he's in the public eye now so the police can't cooperate with mafia, or not too much. Keep him safe.

Mazher Mahmood the 'Fake Sheik' is still going strong, he went to work for another Murdoch paper the Sunday Times after the demise of NOTW and won Reporter of the year in 2011 for his expose of match fixing by Pakistani cricketers. Although he used dubious methods in the past in a number of cases and some 'failed exposes' against some British anti war MPs were seen at the time as being politically motivated rather than having any journalistic value.

It is the nature of reporters to be political.

Some of them can have more effect on the body politic in one story that other politicians will have in their entire lives. That's what makes them so effective and dangerous to politicians - another reason why they should be lauded.

Here is the story from Hong Kong.

Yes it is easy to open a personal account here but I imagine he would have found it a lot more difficult had he actually incorporated the companies and tried to open bank accounts for them.

I work in the corporate services industry here in Hong Kong and it is a right ball ache with most banks to get company accounts open. I opened my personal account with HSBC in 10 minutes using my UK proof of address as I had just relocated and had not obtained a HK one at that time.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1518089/italian-journalist-says-hong-kong-banks-make-money-laundering-easy

An Italian journalist who mounted an undercover operation to expose a suspected eastern European gangster told the District Court yesterday how easy it was to set up a money-laundering operation in Hong Kong.

Key prosecution witness Antonio Papaleo said he was hired by defendant Juraj Jariabka to come to Hong Kong with the express purpose of setting up front companies and opening bank accounts to launder the proceeds of crime.

Papaleo told the court he was able to register two companies using out-of-date documents and that a local bank - identified by the prosecution as Standard Chartered - was willing to open an account for him regardless.

"The bank would take my already expired [italian] proof of residence. They would take everything," said Papaleo, adding that he had no intention of going through with the scheme for fear of violating Hong Kong law.

"The bank had a very relaxed manner … I started to realise an expired proof of residence would be accepted by any Hong Kong bank."

Papaleo responded to the defendant's progress inquiries by fabricating excuses, but told the court that in reality he could have established the account in a couple of days.

Slovak national Jariabka denies one count of incitement to deal with property known or believed to represent proceeds of an indictable offence.

According to the former Italian national television reporter, the process of incorporating the two alleged front companies was also straightforward, with the employee responsible laughing off inquiries about the anti-money-laundering declaration.

"I asked her about the paper and she looked at me, started to laugh and said: 'This is the anti-money-laundering declaration,'" Papaleo told the court.

"She kept laughing and said: 'With this you declare not to launder money,' and then laughed again."

Papaleo had been in hiding since June last year, when Hong Kong police arrested Jariabka using video evidence obtained by the journalist using a hidden camera.

The men had returned to the city following an earlier visit in May to make another attempt to open a bank account.

In footage played for the court, Papaleo is heard trying to tease out the exact nature of the defendant's business activities, but being rebuffed.

However, Jariabka seemingly says, "It's not drugs, guns or tax," before adding:

"Ah well, tax would be the smallest problem."

As part of his investigation, Papaleo adopted the guise of a desperate drug addict and alcoholic in order to infiltrate the eastern European criminal underworld.

The case continues today.

Well I was expressing an opinion, which I stand by. Your opinion differs and that's what makes a forum interesting.

I don't usually expect to see investigative journalists going as far as assisting in a crime, unless I read the article wrong that's what it suggests he did here.

I respect your opinion and I'd expect you to respect mine.. even if it differs from your own.

Here is the story from Hong Kong.

Yes it is easy to open a personal account here but I imagine he would have found it a lot more difficult had he actually incorporated the companies and tried to open bank accounts for them.

I work in the corporate services industry here in Hong Kong and it is a right ball ache with most banks to get company accounts open. I opened my personal account with HSBC in 10 minutes using my UK proof of address as I had just relocated and had not obtained a HK one at that time.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1518089/italian-journalist-says-hong-kong-banks-make-money-laundering-easy

An Italian journalist who mounted an undercover operation to expose a suspected eastern European gangster told the District Court yesterday how easy it was to set up a money-laundering operation in Hong Kong.

Key prosecution witness Antonio Papaleo said he was hired by defendant Juraj Jariabka to come to Hong Kong with the express purpose of setting up front companies and opening bank accounts to launder the proceeds of crime.

Papaleo told the court he was able to register two companies using out-of-date documents and that a local bank - identified by the prosecution as Standard Chartered - was willing to open an account for him regardless.

"The bank would take my already expired [italian] proof of residence. They would take everything," said Papaleo, adding that he had no intention of going through with the scheme for fear of violating Hong Kong law.

"The bank had a very relaxed manner … I started to realise an expired proof of residence would be accepted by any Hong Kong bank."

Papaleo responded to the defendant's progress inquiries by fabricating excuses, but told the court that in reality he could have established the account in a couple of days.

Slovak national Jariabka denies one count of incitement to deal with property known or believed to represent proceeds of an indictable offence.

According to the former Italian national television reporter, the process of incorporating the two alleged front companies was also straightforward, with the employee responsible laughing off inquiries about the anti-money-laundering declaration.

"I asked her about the paper and she looked at me, started to laugh and said: 'This is the anti-money-laundering declaration,'" Papaleo told the court.

"She kept laughing and said: 'With this you declare not to launder money,' and then laughed again."

Papaleo had been in hiding since June last year, when Hong Kong police arrested Jariabka using video evidence obtained by the journalist using a hidden camera.

The men had returned to the city following an earlier visit in May to make another attempt to open a bank account.

In footage played for the court, Papaleo is heard trying to tease out the exact nature of the defendant's business activities, but being rebuffed.

However, Jariabka seemingly says, "It's not drugs, guns or tax," before adding:

"Ah well, tax would be the smallest problem."

As part of his investigation, Papaleo adopted the guise of a desperate drug addict and alcoholic in order to infiltrate the eastern European criminal underworld.

The case continues today.

Actually I see that i misread the the story and he actually went ahead and incorporated the companies.

Anyone can incorporate a Company online in HK and you don't need to provide any due diligence to the registry. If he used a CSP then they need to have a serious review of their compliance procedures.

I still find it difficult to believe he would have been able to open corporate accounts for these companies. When i took two clients to Standard Chartered for a meeting they didn't even bother showing up. All other banks I have dealt with have fairly stringent due diligence requirements.