Website Hosting

jomama

I concurr on 3ix...

Have several sites with them for a few years already and no problems whatsoever...

You can even pay on a local Bangkok bank if you like...

Pretty good if you're a learner, they have a clear control panel with quite a few scripts included...

Good statistics as well (powered by awstats)...

1$/month for small low traffic sites...

We are going to start a website for our small company. Where is the best place to host it?

Thanks.

Hi JoMama,

Can you supply more details of your requirement? What traffic do you expect? Do you require Linux, Windows, web-designer, graphics, content writer, CMS, online payments, database, etc.

I use www.powweb.com costs $7.77/month and have done for the past 7 years.

Beware of cheap sites with limited capacity that add extras that other hosts offer for free.

Cheers,

John_Betong

• 2 weeks later...

I agree on iPowerweb, although they are a bit slow with updating their PHP versions (should you need that, I couldn't upgrade an application using their standard hosting due to an old PHP version)

For several years I have used www.godaddy.com, and while they will try to sell you all sorts during the signup, domain name registration (with optional private registration!) and hosting plans are competitive and good quality.

I bought a hosting and domain package from a thai company, useless, all the emails I'm sending are sent into the recipients junk or spam folder, this if they reach the receipients email. The problem is that I'm stucked as I do not have a credit card and can't purchase a proper domain name and hosting package from an overseas provider. Any views on the thai companies that are offering good packages?

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you need to host in Thailand?

I would urge you to get a host outside of the country as Thailand just does not have the reliable infrastructure for hosting. Everybody I know hosts their site either in the US or Singapore. It is cheaper, more proffessional and nearly 100% reliable. If you host in Thailand there will be chunks of time where nobody can access your site.

I would urge you to get a host outside of the country as Thailand just does not have the reliable infrastructure for hosting. Everybody I know hosts their site either in the US or Singapore. It is cheaper, more proffessional and nearly 100% reliable. If you host in Thailand there will be chunks of time where nobody can access your site.

I am looking for the fasted load times for Thai users which will be 100% of the website's users. I would imagine a decent local hosting company would be the better than one outside of Thailand for this. Is this not correct? If some one wants to share their thoughts one this I am all ears.

Well, one of the main reasons would be the lack of a credit card to buy a domain name and hosting from overseas. Any good thai hosting companies listed here would be appreciated.

We are going to start a website for our small company. Where is the best place to host it?

Thanks.

Unfortunatley or fortunatley depending how you look at it , its like asking where can I get the best fried rice in Thailand.

There are so many around some good some bad , all slightly different and everybody has their own favourite.

I have used Ipowerweb , Omnis and Canaca all with no major problems.

One thing I do look for is one that will allow multi domains on one server, for when you want your next url.

I bought a hosting and domain package from a thai company, useless, all the emails I'm sending are sent into the recipients junk or spam folder, this if they reach the receipients email. The problem is that I'm stucked as I do not have a credit card and can't purchase a proper domain name and hosting package from an overseas provider. Any views on the thai companies that are offering good packages?

Alex,

I don't know your nationality, but why not open a savings a/c outside Thailand and ask for a VISA Debit card. in Aus, UK, USA or Singapore.

It works exactly the same as a credit card for online purchases.

Good luck :o

I concurr on 3ix...

Have several sites with them for a few years already and no problems whatsoever...

You can even pay on a local Bangkok bank if you like...

Agree about 3ix, good local representation, servers in the US.

Alexth, this could be a good way out for you, James (3ix) is based in Thailand.

James 09-7244933

I used bangkokserver.net in the past. I didn't have any problems with them but as someone has already said the pricing in Thailand is high for the features you get. I didn't desperately need local hosting so I went for better value elsewhere. I would probably give them another go if I did need anything local.

Alex,

I don't know your nationality, but why not open a savings a/c outside Thailand and ask for a VISA Debit card. in Aus, UK, USA or Singapore.

It works exactly the same as a credit card for online purchases.

Good luck :D

Thanks Udon. I have already applied for a credit card with HSBC in Singapore last week. I'm just waiting for their approval and hopefully the credit card.

BTW, I swore I would go show it to thai banks, at least this way maybe they'll try to see what they are losing as I'm sure I'm not the only one placing at least 250.000 THB outside of Thailand. Can't stop wondering why they can't do the same in Thailand? Are they that obtuse???

Sorry for getting off the topic :o

If the credit card application fails, just get the Visa DEBIT card and only top up the a/c enough to cover the cost of your purchases, that way you can't get ripped off if your number should ever fall into the wrong hands.

If the credit card application fails, just get the Visa DEBIT card and only top up the a/c enough to cover the cost of your purchases, that way you can't get ripped off if your number should ever fall into the wrong hands.

Thanks Udon. I wasn't aware that the debit card will work online too. That one should be on it's way already, they said 10 days. If I would knew that the VISA debit card would work online from the beggining, I wouldn't have even applied for the credit card. I'll check my email again and see, as far as I remember, their custommer support representative told me that I would need a credit card for online purchases. Interesting...

I am looking for the fasted load times for Thai users which will be 100% of the website's users. I would imagine a decent local hosting company would be the better than one outside of Thailand for this. Is this not correct? If some one wants to share their thoughts on this I am all ears.

Anythoughts on this anybody...?

In theory, if your visitors are in Thailand then hosting in Thailand would be the way to go. The international link is unreliable and slow. Keeping the site and visitors inside Thailand means users can potentially realize 2mbps speeds since many ADSL packages provide much better domestic speed than international. But in reality I wouldn't put it past hosting companies to throttle your bandwidth or otherwise be screwed up, over committed, or running their servers attached by a slow connection (even dialup hehe). Finding someone reputable for speed and up time would be very worth your while I am sure. If you find a candidate, check if their web is hosted on their own servers and if so what kind of speed you get. If it's good, ask them up front if you can expect the same speed from your own domain.

In theory, if your visitors are in Thailand then hosting in Thailand would be the way to go. The international link is unreliable and slow. Keeping the site and visitors inside Thailand means users can potentially realize 2mbps speeds since many ADSL packages provide much better domestic speed than international.

Agreed. One nice thing about having a site hosted within Thailand is that when you want to work on it (or if you need to transfer a lot of files) you can upload very fast (if you have a reasonable domestic connection speed, of course).

I am looking for the fasted load times for Thai users which will be 100% of the website's users. I would imagine a decent local hosting company would be the better than one outside of Thailand for this. Is this not correct? If some one wants to share their thoughts one this I am all ears.

One thing you must be carefully if hosting here:

If you pay double or tripple than outside, you still may find out that the Thai company is just a reseller and your page is hosted in USA.

Well, one of the main reasons would be the lack of a credit card to buy a domain name and hosting from overseas. Any good thai hosting companies listed here would be appreciated.

Do you have an ATM/Debit Card?

I know they will charge it against that. I switched to 1and1.com and have been happy with their service. They host like 3.7M websites. Pricing wasn't too bad either.

Dan