Retailers to discount 10,000 products nationwide to reduce people's expenses

webfact

Retailers to discount 10,000 products nationwide to reduce people's expenses

BANGKOK, 7 July 2014 (NNT) – Modern wholesalers and retailers will join in giving discounts on over 10,000 products nationwide to reduce people’s expenses.

The Deputy Director of the Department of Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce, said after he finished a meeting with 14 modern traders including Tesco Lotus, Big C, Tops Supermarket, Central, The Mall, and Robinson, that they would hold product price reductions on the occasion of the 94th Anniversary of Commerce Day.

The involved traders will reduce the cost of products nationwide from 19th to 24th August 2014. More than 10,000 items such as clothes, electrical equipment, and OTOP products will be offered at a 20 to 70 percent discount.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-07 footer_n.gif

Just legal scamming. Easy to put prices up and up again before August and then reduce them by said amounts when the time comes. The retailers will lose nothing and certainly won't be giving a single Baht away.

I agree and the worst part is, that when they have made the increases and then dropped the prices between 19th and 24th then on the 25th they can put the prices back up to the overblown price.... so effectively, they are putting prices up with a slap on the back.

What sort of idiots can't see through that?... no wonder all the retailers at the meeting agreed.

• Like 2

If you're going to reduce prices on over 10,000 products, to ease consumer expenses, then why not just print extra 500 baht notes and give them away?

I have heard many ridiculous ideas lately, and this joins them all.

• Like 1

Up to a 70% discount...or said another way, the item is overpriced by 70%. Heck, it's not uncommon to see 80% off sales/promotions right now--and you know the stores are still making a handsome profit in most cases.

• Like 2

Lots of goods in Thailand are considerably cheaper than my homeland, but there is also a lot of goods here, that are vastly pricey, that I tend not to bother buying...

Eau de toilette and after shave are mega expensive, Razor Blades, are mega pricey...

I could go on and on, saying that I bought a pair of shorts for 50 baht today and they were smart...

Lots of goods in Thailand are considerably cheaper than my homeland, but there is also a lot of goods here, that are vastly pricey, that I tend not to bother buying...

Eau de toilette and after shave are mega expensive, Razor Blades, are mega pricey...

I could go on and on, saying that I bought a pair of shorts for 50 baht today and they were smart...

You can get a pretty decent copy of things like Aramis and Paco Rabanne for a few hunded baht in most malls.

As for your Gillette Mach 3's they're the same price as UK or US, so buy a lady shave.... much cheaper. ;)

I've been using a Bic 3 blade razor for a while now, and I will admit it's not as good as the old Big C razor, but Big C stopped selling their own brand several month back. I will grow a beard before I will buy Gillette.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just legal scamming. Easy to put prices up and up again before August and then reduce them by said amounts when the time comes. The retailers will lose nothing and certainly won't be giving a single Baht away.

Yeah , not much fore thought, the products should be identified and price frozen ,the question is, are these products any good to anyone, like pkts of hair clips,6 mm bolts with witworth tread etc, either way the retailers wont loose, you can bet on that

Allowing competition aids individuals and families but might not be well accepted by those big business in Thailand. If the likes of "Wal-Mart" were allowed free market access to Thai consumers I'd bet we'd see prices plummet and merchandise availability sky rocket.

Has anyone else found it almost impossible to buy replacement parts for home products etc.? I'm repeatedly told "no have (part) " buy new one (refrigerator, lawn mower, power tools etc.).

just look at Tesco's food price's over the past few months,UP UP UP last week it was chkn,legs/thighs@ 80bht a kilo.

but no mention of food price's reduced.but what do holding price's mean? oh yes what they are on the day.

I wonder whose great idea was this.?

• Like 1

just look at Tesco's food price's over the past few months,UP UP UP last week it was chkn,legs/thighs@ 80bht a kilo.

but no mention of food price's reduced.but what do holding price's mean? oh yes what they are on the day.

The best way to reduce peoples day to day expenses is to get the food prices under control. A major gripe of 'er indoors.

The best way to reduce peoples day to day expenses is to get the food prices under control. A major gripe of 'er indoors.

its me not her indoors,if she had her way[which is more than enough now] I would be living on rice and noodles and leo.

how about a discount on the over priced Thai made cars etc?

Thought they already tried the car tax rebate, which was roundly condemned by some, denounced as populist policy. Isn't that what the price reductions are on a lower scale. On balance, it appears to me that the car tax rebate, meant to reinvigorate the car industry after the floods, was not well thought out. But that is true to many government policy attempts, I suppose.

"Has anyone else found it almost impossible to buy replacement parts for home products etc.?" Amen. Had a vacuum cleaner, used bags. Went to the S******ng service center, as no home improvement stores carried the bags, but did sell the vacuums. "No have. We can order." Or tried to buy shoelaces. Go to numerous shoe stores: "No have" though sell laced shoes. Go figure.

I hear the Ferrari store is going to drop prices 10% to help those on a tight budget. Everyone doing their part.

Maybe the retailers had some prior warning of this because they have been raising prices like there is no tomorrow. Supermarket increases have been horrendous and the bogus figures quoted last week for a low rate of inflation are a joke. Sure, now they can discount a bit...having raised prices on many items in recent times. I doubt that many people will be fooled by this. Retail power is concentrated in too few hands.

If you're going to reduce prices on over 10,000 products, to ease consumer expenses, then why not just print extra 500 baht notes and give them away?

I have heard many ridiculous ideas lately, and this joins them all.

An average Tesco has 20,000 SKU in it. If you take clothes and other stuff out, are they basically going to say they are going to discount everything?

This really is becoming a case of "let them eat cake". I think they should look at slightly bigger issues such as removing supply side barriers, instead of silly sticking plaster show days like this. I mean knocking 50 baht off the price is fertiliser or a bottle of shampoo is hardly going to change anyone's life, but allowing more competition and increasing market participation is going to have a sustained effect.

Nonsense ! The retailers are busy marking up prices now and reducing them to regular price during the sale. Additionally Dept. mangers are instructed to cull stocks of unwanted, overages stocks so the sale can clean out their bulging warehouses. Add to that the usual " No return, no refund "

policy and you'd be foolish to attend this, or any other " Grand Sale " !