is there stomochs stronger then ours?

pigeonjake

after just reading another posters thread,

got me thinking,

the odd time ive gone to our fridge and said to maco,(thats my wife)

maco this chicken smells off, she comes, nose in bag, i dont think so, me well i bloody do,

ok ill give it to mama, and im telling you it was off, i wouldnt give it to my dog, but off she goes on motorbike, and theres nothing wrong with mama,

so im saying there stomochs must be stronger then ours,,,lol

your thoughts,,/

well it is a slow night,,lol

jake

Pretty much the same in our home except its the dogs that get it, not other people.

Although it has to be said, some of the stuff the wife and daughter eat I couldnt even look at it. Makes me wonder if all that chilli etc and "nampik" has somehow given them protection or immunity as they cover it on everything and I could never understand how they can actually taste anything other than the chilli.

Jake ... we had that at the Farm.

MissFarmGirl told me.

The Farm Mother just fried it up, used lot's of garlic etc to hid the taste.

I survived.

Man, if you want to smell rotten, go to a Fish Sauce factory ... w00t.gif

BTW ... I survive OK ... some of my cooking is pretty 'off' ... laugh.png

• Like 1

Remember, that certain spices have anti microbial additives, these include garlic, cloves, lemon, but strangely not chilli!

And in medieval Ireland & England spices were used to cover the taint of spoiled meat, but with spices costing much more than the meat, that is a myth, but a good story all the same.

I think it is a balance between Jake and lanna, they are brought up with the bugs and have immunity, however if Lanna is correct, they are preserving a long term effect resulting in rather disastrous consequences.

• Like 2

They may eat it but that doesn't mean their bodies can take it over the long term. Very high incidence of stomach cancer, digestive tract disorders and parasites amongst Thais.

A lot more evidence that would point to high consumption of chilli and still water fish as causative factors for the illnesses you mention. There is no evidence for adaptive response for the strains of bacteria we are talking about here, yes repeated exposure to the same strain of E.coli for example can produce an immune response, but this is not what we are talking about here. What do you think is more dangerous, a cooked chicken that you think has gone off, but you're partner is happy to eat with no ill effects or a selection of buffet food kept warm under lights ? You might be surprised.

Forget how many times I've seen recipes telling you to wash chicken under the tap to get rid of bacteria before cooking, great way to spread bacteria smile.png and a far more likely cause of food poisoning than that dodgy smelling chicken.

Yes....and they use their sense of smell on just about everything from products in the store to food...laundry & everything inbetween

What about farangs?

Would they be included in "everything inbetween?"

"Farang men"... farangs stink. To most Thais we really do. Maybe because we sweat a lot, or the food we eat, or whatever.

So yes, it would be safe to assume that their "stomochs" are stronger than ours.

2 things:

1- I'm not sure a generalization of "Farangs stink" ...... even discussed among Farangs there are nationalities that are thought to stink because of lack of hygene others that are thought to stink because of the types of food that they eat - and some a combination of both....So - I'm sure many of us Farangs do - in fact - stink to the Thais. At least the Farangs that cling to old habits and diets.......

But the one thing that many Thais can smell even better $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

In the theater the other day had a couple assigned to the seats next to us - she was Thai - not sure what he was, possibly Thai but Asian -> if the theater had had more places to sit I would have moved us because his scent/odor was almost overwhelming....

In our house we eat the same food, shower at the same time with the same soap, same shampoo, wash in the same laundry detergent...and if hot outside then we shower off during the day so I'd say we match on that regard....

2- Second point of the OP's question - something in the Thai diet does indeed allow them to eat most anything + they seem to be able to eat continously, burn it off and stay petite. In the west my folks brought me up with the 3 set meals a day routine....as an adult I've just kind of eaten when hungry - some days a lot (rarely) - other days maybe just two meals - many days was take it as it goes because of timing around sports (tournaments - irregular timing decided by mutiple factors) and I still weighed more than I do here.....but it seems like the Thais can basically graze all day long and not seem to gain a kilo......

If I decide to eat western food a couple of times a week every once in awhile I can count of gaining a kilo or two so unless I get a craving for something I stay with Mama's cooking.....so there is something to the way and how they eat.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

Jake,

I am amazed at what gets eaten in our house (NZ). There is basically a "her" and us policy. Me and my scouser flatmate get to eat some fantastic thai food prepared by my lady (who is a chef here in NZ), but often she will flat out say we are not allowed a particular dish. After telling her one time to share and not act like an only child, she sweetly told me "up to you" with a dirty harry "its your time to die" look.Turns out nothing gets thrown out if past the used by date. Have decided to take her wise advice - if I am told that I am not allowed to eat something, there is probably a bloody good reason.

Have a few mates who are quite fishy and often drop off any extra snapper they have caught to our place. We all sat around one arvo having a few quiet beers in the yard while my lady headed, gutted, and filleted some fish to bbq (my mate had started the process but got elbowed out of the way). At the end of prepping the fish there was a very small bag destined for the bin, and a big one that was to be kept. My mate, not wanting to be rude, leant over to me and whispered " I think your misses even kept the ars@holes" - he was right. Can only hope that I was told not allowed to eat what ever they went into!

• Like 1

If it just smells it is still good to eat after cooked.....Well I wouldn't eat it, but from the stories what the people ate after the war our body can manage it most of the time.

most definitely, my wife can eat anything, cooked , undercooked, and raw, never gets sick. I think its the way the thais are brought up and what they eat from an early age, stomach must just get used to it

I don't live in Thailand. Only visit from USA. When we went out to eat twice the Thais got sick and I did not!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

... Makes me wonder if all that chilli etc and "nampik" has somehow given them protection or immunity as they cover it on everything and I could never understand how they can actually taste anything other than the chilli.

I have heard that before, chilies and similar slightly change the PH in the gut,

just enough to make it inhospitable to certain pathogens.

I know for a fact I hardly eat any dish that doesn't contain lots of chilies and then usually I add even more.

I've never gotten diarrhea once, while others who have eaten the same dish without chilies have.

i agree frangs stink when i started coming here 12yrs ago thais complained when i sweated was bad smell after changing diet over yrs no red meat no dairy produce

now have no complaints but if i go to frang bar or where are gathered i can now smell them rotten cheers

• Like 2

Pretty much the same in our home except its the dogs that get it, not other people.

Although it has to be said, some of the stuff the wife and daughter eat I couldnt even look at it. Makes me wonder if all that chilli etc and "nampik" has somehow given them protection or immunity as they cover it on everything and I could never understand how they can actually taste anything other than the chilli.

Uhh, yeah, per'aps?

Hot peppers are an integral part of the diets of most hot climate countries worldwide, due to refrigeration issues. The peppers are meant to kill off worms and fly eggs, etc. Seems to me that Korea is one of the furthest north countries to use extensive amounts of hot peppers in their cuisine. Korea also uses copious amounts of garlic...

Jake,

I am amazed at what gets eaten in our house (NZ). There is basically a "her" and us policy. Me and my scouser flatmate get to eat some fantastic thai food prepared by my lady (who is a chef here in NZ), but often she will flat out say we are not allowed a particular dish. After telling her one time to share and not act like an only child, she sweetly told me "up to you" with a dirty harry "its your time to die" look.Turns out nothing gets thrown out if past the used by date. Have decided to take her wise advice - if I am told that I am not allowed to eat something, there is probably a bloody good reason.

Have a few mates who are quite fishy and often drop off any extra snapper they have caught to our place. We all sat around one arvo having a few quiet beers in the yard while my lady headed, gutted, and filleted some fish to bbq (my mate had started the process but got elbowed out of the way). At the end of prepping the fish there was a very small bag destined for the bin, and a big one that was to be kept. My mate, not wanting to be rude, leant over to me and whispered " I think your misses even kept the ars@holes" - he was right. Can only hope that I was told not allowed to eat what ever they went into!

Interesting. Must be your wifes's chef training. My wife and most Thia's I have known are paranoid over use by date. She used to throw milk & bread out of the fridge on the date it expired, just to be sure. Tinned, packaged or deep frozen. OUT ON THE DAY! I have persuaded her to see sense on some of these matters. Some she will live with but tinned food OUT if it is more than a few weeks over date. Yet she will eat crushed up dead crab (somtam) that have been sitting God knows where for how long. TIT!!

Edited by The Deerhunter

Jake,

Interesting. My wife and most Thia's i have known are paranoid over use by date. She used to throw milk & bread out of the fridge on the date it expired, just to be sure. Tinned, packaged or deep frozen. OUT ON THE DAY! I have persuaded her to see sense on some of these matters. Some she will live with but tinned food OUT if it is more than a few weeks over date. Yet she will eat crushed up dead crab (somtam) that have been sitting God knows where for how long. TIT!!

Things in cans, may last forever. At the army we got fed with a product similar to Spam (Hormel) with an expiration date of 30 years. Which is exactly the same product from the same production that has just a few years expiration in the supermarket.

(I know that it is the same because the army bought discounted one, where some small problems happened.....).

But cans of meat that show problems can be deadly.

Milk if it tastes good it is good.

bread if no mold and taste good: no problem

Just NEVER remove mold and eat the rest....there are some killer around.

slightly off topic:

I recall from Europe, that on hunting some of the dead animals are stored in the cellar for a long time. It is common that flies leave their eggs. Seen them on the "ham" of some animal I can't recall. They lived between bone and meat.

It must hang there so long to get soft enough to eat. And I am surprised that you don't die from it. Seems that the European stomach can do that.

Our family were never hunter but maybe someone know more details.

Intestinal Flora plays a big part in Thai's being able to eat things that would normally make westerners quite sick. Typically western food is heavily processed and quite sterile in most regards so your Flora is limited. So having a "stronger" stomach is some what true, but quite general. Another poster stated that spices found in Thailand are incredibly good for you and are good for your immune system. That is very true. My wife's education is medical with an emphasis on nutrition. She is very keen on food handling and knows when something has exceeded its shelf life. When we are at the local morning market, she always smells the meat and quickly knows if its bad. She would never keep something old and take a chance.

I tell friends that visit Thailand to go easy the first week or so. Most dive right in and end up sick.

• 2 weeks later...