Junta pushing renovation unseen for decades: Thai opinion

webfact

STREETWISE
Junta pushing renovation unseen for decades

Achara Deboonme

BANGKOK: -- In the six weeks since the military took control, actions unseen during decades of elected governments have been unveiled.

Following its vow to return happiness to all, the junta is apparently encouraging its officials and members of independent organisations to introduce sweeping reforms. The focus ranges from motorcycle taxis to something as big as qualifications needed to become a lawmaker.

The military-led renovation sheds light on just how lax and incompetent the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and city police have been. After years of complaints, unregistered motorcycle taxis are finally being cracked down upon. From now on, Bangkokians can be assured that their motorcycle tax service is accountable and safer.

Footpaths are being returned to pedestrians as the obstacle course of street vendors is dismantled, also clearing more road space for vehicles.

The issue of illegal workers is getting the same treatment. For years, the private sector has been crying foul over manpower shortages, but no government has taken action. While they have opened doors to nearly 3 million migrant workers from neighbouring countries, it is estimated that over half are unregistered. Laws were weakly enforced, presumably to leave room for officials to practice extortion.

Thanks to the junta, migrant workers' suffering is being taken seriously. I guess many scriptwriters will have to find a new plot, as registered workers should be protected from any kind of extortion.

Since the May coup, some educators have been saying Thailand's political turmoil is rooted in poor civic education as well as a lack of patriotism. They proposed a new curriculum that combines the two subjects.

Honestly, I don't think patriotism can be taught in school. I don't recall any teacher telling me, as a child, how to love my country. We were just ordered to be at school early enough to line up in front of the flagpole and sing the national anthem as the flag was raised.

Instead, it was family visits to temples and my grandparents' home that unveiled the niceties of Thai culture. A holiday in Pattaya taught me how beautiful Thailand's beaches could be. Studying at Thammasat University, where students came from all over the country, opened doors to the diverse cultures and flavours of each region. Overseas trips then taught me in what ways Thailand is superior to other countries, and in what ways we are inferior. Is this the same sense of patriotism that the educators are talking about? I'm not sure.

As yet, we don't know when the new curriculum will take shape and be tried out.

How future governments will view the changes is anyone's guess, but future lawmakers should be more worried about new rules proposed by the Election Commission (EC).

Established in 1992, following the May bloodbath, the EC took over from the Interior Ministry's Department of Provincial Administration (DPA) in overseeing elections at all levels. Back then, vote-buying was rampant and the DPA was seen to be taking sides with those in power. The independent EC, with five commissioners appointed by the Senate, has taken charge of elections ever since.

The five commissioners came under heavy fire for their handling of this year's February 2 election. That's in the past. Now, as they wait for the next national poll, probably in 2015, the commissioners are being encouraged to improve the election process.

The discussion is not over yet, but the EC's main focus is on blocking "ill-intentioned" politicians by introducing a new set of rules. The proposal is that the EC be given the power to screen all parties' election campaigns and block any blatantly populist policies. Such an idea - effectively confiscating the power of public judgement - would be inconceivable without the junta in control.

I guess that to make this reform possible, we would need a revision of the law that governs the body. Still, it also raises the question of how these Senate-appointed commissioners could make a decision that is right for all voters. It's worth noting that 73 of Thailand's 150 senators are appointed, so they do not (in theory) represent any groups.

How the EC can gratify public demand while at the same time retaining its unassuming, independent stance is beyond imagination.

And while the private sector's call for labour reform has been answered to a degree, what about their demand for infrastructure investment to boost the country's long-term competitiveness?

Politicians have always garnered opinions from the private sector, but in the future, formulating these opinions into election campaigns won't be permitted without the EC's approval.

These initiatives, considered inconceivable in the past, have been made real by the junta's power. The plot is thickening: where exactly will the reform process lead Thailand?

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Junta-pushing-renovation-unseen-for-decades-30237931.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-08

• Like 2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're "pushing" all this stuff, but there are no busts of Thai Mr. Bigs in industrial corruption, government heads, military, banking, police and no enforcement of law and order. All they've done is stop the circus and cleared out the rings. There still is no constitution, no setting example of law and order enforcement as it applies to all. They are selectively purging opposition to the establishment business class elite, the actual essence of the problem.

• Like 2

Its great they finally give the EC the power to stop false election promises and popular policies before they can rape a country. We have seen what the rice scheme has done and those losses 500-700 billion (not budgeted as it would be cost neutral) we have yet to wait for the losses of corruption too.

The EC would have told them that they would have to budget an amount for the rice program so other popular policies could not have been done or this program could not have been done. That would have been fair, as its nothing more as vote buying. Now parties can just say what they want and nobody checks for financial feasibility. Good thing this changes.

Where I come from all election promises of parties are checked for financial feasibility by a independent agency, its good to see that Thailand is finally taken this step too. It will of course break the PTP and help the more fiscal smart Democrats. But that is only normal that parties that play by the rules and dont buy votes with election programs that are fake get rewarded and protection against parties like the PTP.

• Like 1

The only way to even inflict a flea bite on this animal of corruption is for the current administartion juna whatever one cares to call it to retain the reins of power for at least two years.Medicine does not always taste nice however if a curing process is started that has to be a bonus.

Preventionof course is bettert than curer, however until the cancerous growth of corruption have been tamed and contained we or rather Thailand and its peoples need and must continue to take unpleasant medication.

This is the last chance, lose this chance and the people of Thailand and Thailand are doomed to failure and a despotic dictatorship.

Remember, there is still fight and venom left in those who benefited from the last administration and its dubiuos policies.The loss of face, power and income is inded a hate inflaming wound.

The current administartion junta must stay in place for at least two years.

There is no real history of democracy as such here, and as soon as a collection of political parties get together to rule ruin the country the people are the losers as we have seen so plainly over the last 10 or so years. The facts now coming to light starkly reveal just how far this cancer of corruption, the abuse of power, nepotism and cronyism has spread through Thailand.

An authoritarian administration is needed with no political , filial or business bias, nothing more nothing less. Abhorrent as it may be to we of western origin it is the only solution to the Asian situation.

Tending to agree and very strongly

As can be seen from just the Bangkok administration in todays TV threads that while the laws have been there again it is the big issue with Thailand right across the board - no enforcement of those laws. The Junta has started enforcing law in Bangkok and the results are coming.

There are several phases to go through and I think that those are going to need slightly longer than the Junta first thought. The early phases are getting the correct reform teams in place and those reform teams then getting policy and laws in place. That could be a year just there. Agree that once those are in place then a good year at least with the Junta, interim government and NACC spoon feeding that structure with the full force of martial law enforcement on all especially the police, judiciary, political bodies and government departments then all those will be understanding to what is expected for when the structure is handed back to the current political criminals.

The current Martial Law Act should also be reviewed and have some additional clauses inserted that the Junta will continue to have an over view for say beyond the second open election to step back in and do whatever head banging and martial law court charges is required of anybody stepping out of line.

And for the "history is static" negative naysays who abound in regards to Thailand (it sure attracts them just visit a thai falang bar) democratic style is written by that individual country to what its needs are to serve its purpose to produce a lawful, equal and moral society governing themselves and not to some ideological western system that has little or no relevance to Thailand. Leave your ridiculous western democratic principles at your own countries departure gate - this is South East Asia where life is not valued, and corruption and patronage is rife. Thailand is unique in its issues, failures and society structures and that is being recognised by the Junta and hence the action that is being taken. This time round the Junta has recognised that the issues are vast and a short term inadequate response is going to end up with the same failures from the 2006-07 reset. Full praise to the Junta for their actions to date, their current steps that they are laying out, but agree the time frames of 18 months that Khun General Prayuth have given should be adjusted outward with decreasing over view and over control over time. And agree with your last sentence. Most Asian cultures and definitely most Thai's would not know what democracy is even it bit them in the arse. The only way they will learn that quickly is through heavy handed spoon feeding for a while with the important ingredient of law enforcement to the hilt no ifs or buts. And to repeat it again....Thailand is not and has never been a model of any successful western democracy. But this time around with the current Junta's strength and vision both forward and of past failures, some realistic time frames and heavy spoon feeding of democratic principles they can get a system correct that can work for them even when the current political criminals are let loose again.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 2

Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey. Patience and don't make any bets on the future just yet. General Prayuth is not going to call it quits in the middle of reform as the last coup general did. Give him time and watch the changes. They will be slow at first but once people adopt some of the changes, they will adopt more and more quickly as they see the positive changes in their everyday lives and in the economy and the whole attitude of their countrymen. Of course, I'm being optimistic; I can always be a pessimist later.

I agree with you about doing it very slowly... A few weeks ago the Military made a list of proposed changes and one of them was to eliminate the positions of the Kamans and Village Headmen. I think that was a bit of inspired thinking as it would cut the power of any elected MP who depends on the hopefully soon to be extinct positions for delivering votes and cooperation of their voters. The general seems to have a very well thought out strategy of house cleaning, starting from the bottom and working his way to the top.

Now starting from the bottom and moving to the top sounds a bit backwards, doesn't it? ... However, there is no logic whatsoever in leaving corrupt localized elements in place to be exploited by the next round of democratically elected officials.

Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey. Patience and don't make any bets on the future just yet. General Prayuth is not going to call it quits in the middle of reform as the last coup general did. Give him time and watch the changes. They will be slow at first but once people adopt some of the changes, they will adopt more and more quickly as they see the positive changes in their everyday lives and in the economy and the whole attitude of their countrymen. Of course, I'm being optimistic; I can always be a pessimist later.

I agree with you about doing it very slowly... A few weeks ago the Military made a list of proposed changes and one of them was to eliminate the positions of the Kamans and Village Headmen. I think that was a bit of inspired thinking as it would cut the power of any elected MP who depends on the hopefully soon to be extinct positions for delivering votes and cooperation of their voters. The general seems to have a very well thought out strategy of house cleaning, starting from the bottom and working his way to the top.

Now starting from the bottom and moving to the top sounds a bit backwards, doesn't it? ... However, there is no logic whatsoever in leaving corrupt localized elements in place to be exploited by the next round of democratically elected officials.

It's called Broken Window Theory. Start with the little things like airport mafia, motorcycle taxis, and, along the way, replace some heads of government enterprises. Most citizens are only affected in a small but positive way. Once they see the benefits of change, it will be easier to make the larger changes as the populace will have begun to trust and accept that the change will be for the better. Ed Koch, as mayor, cleaned up many cess-pool areas of New York city by getting strict on the small things first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory substitute corruption for vandalism when reading the theory.

You are right that the whole Client/Patron system has to go if Thailand wants a modern, progressive society.

• Like 1

Remove the shackles of criminal libel, computer crimes act and Lesse Majeste and allow Thai people to openly discuss corruption and criminality without fear of being prosecuted for doing so.

Democracy cannot exist without freedom of expression to defend against corruption and abuse of power.

I think this is something all posters no matter what their political preference is can agree upon.

Though some laws on slander should still be there if there are outright laws, but not the draconian ones.

About the lesse Majeste.. I doubt that will happen and the libel laws.. i would love too but I wont hold my breath.. But I agree with you 100%

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

they are not getting to the root of the problem , as soon as an elected government is in power I give it 6 months before we are back in the same corrupt kleptomanic cycle

Wow only six minutes for the first negative post!

Lets face it , the truth might hurt, but the proof is in the pudding , would you like to place a small number $100 on it happening , you don't know Thai's very well if you think they can sustain this charade for more than six months, my money is on TerryP.

Only if those so heavily involved with the manipulation / corruption, call it what you will, do not have their wings severely clipped, either goaled for their role in corruption, banned from politics for life (including their immediate family) and all ill-gotten monies and assets stripped from them.

Enforceable laws introduced to ensure clean (as clean as is possible) politics are practiced, not wimpy wrist slap or transferring to inactive posts - get shown the door with no re-entry, substantial fines, goal or both.

Complete transparency of all business deals, especially government contracts being awarded, back-door deals outlawed with heavy penalties for all concerned.

But lets face it, there is always deals and corruption in any country in the world - but in most cases it is not tolerated once exposed as it should be the same in Thailand. Take a look at world news, see how many high level politicians have been investigated, resigned, arrested .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

they are not getting to the root of the problem , as soon as an elected government is in power I give it 6 months before we are back in the same corrupt kleptomanic cycle

Lets face it , the truth might hurt, but the proof is in the pudding , would you like to place a small number $100 on it happening , you don't know Thai's very well if you think they can sustain this charade for more than six months, my money is on TerryP.

After the new unelected government is in place,and all the new boys are in their new jobs,within a few months from then most will have found out how to top up their incomes. It's simply the nature of the beast here.

After the new unelected government is in place,and all the new boys are in their new jobs,within a few months from then most will have found out how to top up their incomes. It's simply the nature of the beast here.

Re cap, after the old diabolical government was thrown out because it did not govern as was asked to do when sworn in. Bent the laws to suit, but was elected may I add.

Better an unelected government that is governing as should govern. but have it your way if it makes you feel better.

• Like 1

Remove the shackles of criminal libel, computer crimes act and Lesse Majeste and allow Thai people to openly discuss corruption and criminality without fear of being prosecuted for doing so.

Democracy cannot exist without freedom of expression to defend against corruption and abuse of power.

I think this is something all posters no matter what their political preference is can agree upon.

Though some laws on slander should still be there if there are outright laws, but not the draconian ones.

About the lesse Majeste.. I doubt that will happen and the libel laws.. i would love too but I wont hold my breath.. But I agree with you 100%

My personal view is that this is a point of common ground between moderates on both sides of the political divide, the Red Shirts and the Anti-Thaksin movement (who are by no means all yellow shirts).

I've argued all along that it is these two groups who actually hold the power, they need only get rid of the same old political class on both sides of the house - a commitment to democracy and freedom of speech could bring these two groups to power without the corrupt political class of old.

They simply need to elect their own leaders from within their own ranks.

• Like 2

I find it really interesting that so many expats 'externalize' corruption as though it didn't exist in their own country. In the US, you wouldn't be able to buy your way out of a traffic ticket but the level and amount of institutional corruption, fraud, waste, and abuse - especially the military industrial complex - is staggering. And I would assert that this is the case in most other industrialized countries that devote a good chunk of their GNP to defense spending. The junta is also 'externalizing' corruption. Want to clean house, start with your own first.

And this whole notion that Thais cannot understand democracy is racist and condescending. When the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was written, it wasn't just for people living in western democracies. Those who defend dictatorships on the basis of expediency should think about the thousands of political prisoners in the world whose only crime was to express themselves. It's wrong and there's no way to justify it.

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 2

this just goes to show that it is possible to get things done and remove corruption with the right people at the helm. For years Thailand has suffered under bad leadership/party politics, with a strong leader this can be reversed as we are seeing. I just hope that they actually make those responsible for all this corruption take the fall for it, here it is too easy for the guilty ones to get away from any form of punishment, lets hope we dont see that happen, a lot of people should be doing time for what they have done, hopefully the general will see it through

• Like 1

" In the six weeks since the military took control, actions unseen during decades of elected governments have been unveiled."

Let's face it. No matter how much everyone desires a competent democracy, some societies and cultures are not ready for it at this time. When a dictatorship appears to be more benevolent, effective, and honest than the previous elected governments, maybe it's time to admit: (with apologies to Jack Nicholson) "Democracy. You can't handle democracy!!!"

We cling to the D word as if it's a cure all for any countries woes, scary concept maybe but a few western nations could do with a benevolent group ruling with an iron fist, and getting things done for all people not just a few.

NSA, CIA, ASIO you get that

We cling to the D word as if it's a cure all for any countries woes, scary concept maybe but a few western nations could do with a benevolent group ruling with an iron fist, and getting things done for all people not just a few.

NSA, CIA, ASIO you get that

We cling to the D word because to the millions of brave men and women who died to preserve it -- even if it isn't perfect.

• Like 1

The only way to even inflict a flea bite on this animal of corruption is for the current administartion juna whatever one cares to call it to retain the reins of power for at least two years.Medicine does not always taste nice however if a curing process is started that has to be a bonus.

Preventionof course is bettert than curer, however until the cancerous growth of corruption have been tamed and contained we or rather Thailand and its peoples need and must continue to take unpleasant medication.

This is the last chance, lose this chance and the people of Thailand and Thailand are doomed to failure and a despotic dictatorship.

Remember, there is still fight and venom left in those who benefited from the last administration and its dubiuos policies.The loss of face, power and income is inded a hate inflaming wound.

The current administartion junta must stay in place for at least two years.

There is no real history of democracy as such here, and as soon as a collection of political parties get together to rule ruin the country the people are the losers as we have seen so plainly over the last 10 or so years. The facts now coming to light starkly reveal just how far this cancer of corruption, the abuse of power, nepotism and cronyism has spread through Thailand.

An authoritarian administration is needed with no political , filial or business bias, nothing more nothing less. Abhorrent as it may be to we of western origin it is the only solution to the Asian situation.

"Two years" is the the necessary time the junta should retain power, according to your list, to effect change. Ok; but you've not once said why or built up the logic or thinking. You've only reminded us what we know. Why two years? Isn't the current process going to be roughly over one year, less than 2? Why can't less time work? What is vital about 2 years?

Where I come from all election promises of parties are checked for financial feasibility by a independent agency

How often does the Dutch Army over throw democratically elected governments? clap2.gif