One month walk over the border stamp

I went over the border at Maesai ten days ago after flying in 28 days previously. Everything was as per usual - filled out the form, waited in line, got the passport stamped. The immigration officer never said a word. Yesterday I looked in my passport to double check when to go back this week and discovered that instead of the usual 14 days, I'd been given 28!

Curious, I went to the immigration office in Chiang Rai today to find out the score and it seems I should get a 60 day family visitor stamp instead of doing my usual bi- monthly booze buying border runs ( I didn't even know that such a stamp existed ). No problem at all (the officer was very polite and helpful) - but I still think the guy at the border might have said something.

Anyway, the reason I''m posting this is as a heads-up to anyone who recently came through a land border. Your stamp might not be for the customary 14 days, and it might be an idea to check your passport. It may save you a premature journey.

Depending on your nationality you either get 15 days or 30 days at a land border if you qualify for a visa exempt entry.

You don't get 60 days at the border, you get it when applying for an extension at an immigraiton office.

• Like 1

No such thing as a 14 or 28 day stamp, it's 15 or 30 days depending on where you are from.

That said, was in Maesai Sunday to activate my second entry on a tourist visa and the customers officers there can't count dates.

I exited on 6 July and only later did I notice that I was stamped back in until 3 September, despite a 60 day entry visa, 2 days shy of what it should have been.