Bird Help! Fledgling abandoned...to help or not?

BKKBrit

Need some fairly urgent advice from those that know a thing or two about birds of the feathered variety. I live on the top floor of a condo with a substantial garden balcony. Three days ago a pair of yellow vented bulbuls were quite upset and making a racket. Then i found out why by accident when I startled their fledgling that was in a bush. I immediately retreated and haven't been out again since then. However, since yesterday morning this fledging, which is half the size of a tennis ball, with undeveloped wings has been left alone. I work from home and haven't seen nor heard of the parents again. The little guy is mostly walking around, squatting and chirping....non-stop. At dusk it goes quiet and at dawn up he starts again.

I need advice on whether to try and do the 'right' thing which could be the wrong thing - and that's try and rescue it and feed it. Or do I leave Mother Nature to sort it out. I am a great nature lover..hence my little jungle in Sukhumvit...and I would hate for the thing to die here.

I just went to take a look at him and he sat there motionless...close enough for me to touch. Walk away and he starts calling out again.

I need advice guys..anything please?

You can try this. Go out and buy some of those red pellets meant for Sumatran Mynahs. The Thais call those birds 'Khun Thong'. Soak some pellets until they are soft. Then feed the chick with it. You don't really have to shove it down its throat. Just put the food on a straw and push it down its throat, just far enough for it to swallow. I have seen people doing this with lots of baby birds and the chicks survived. The 'Khun Thong' pellets apparently have enough of the right nutrients to keep the chicks alive until they can eat on their own. Be warned, though. If you do hand-rear this chick, you must be prepared to have a bird flying around your head all the time.

• Like 1

This is the subject of the OP ...

Yellow-Vented-Bulbul_3241-523x369.jpg

Together ... we unite ...

A soloution will be at hand soon.

I feed the magpies in Australia.

They like many things ... but they go crazy if I cook an Omelette for me ... and cut a wee bit off for them.

• Like 1

little while ago found separately within a couple of days at two locations separated by perhaps 300 meters, a small bat crawling (so thats two bats altogether) on cement seeming exhausted and unable to get airborne.

slid them each onto bits of stuff and allowed them to attach to near by trees. dont know what happened after that, but seems very strange that this would occur twice when i have never ever witness this before. was keeping my hands away in case they had ebola or something but one of them did touch me briefly. (in case you though i typed this from the grave, i am still alive..)

also self interest here in that i was thinking how many mozies they would eat in their life time and thus save me from being bitten

Edited by score keeper
  • Like 1

Thailand has a number of varieties of cuckoos. Some cuckoos are parisitic (kick the other nestlings or eggs out when they hatch). Others are just happy to join the family & not kill the rightful chicks (non parisitic but parents have to work harder). We have a lot of Gawow's around our place and frequently find dead baby birds on the ground during nesting season. If you are near trees overhead, your chick could have been kicked out by a baby cuckoo. Nature is not always cuddly-wuddly!!!!!

How nice of the OP to try to help the fledgling. Big karma points. As a vet I've tried to rehab birds and other juvenile wildlife often. You should use something softer than a straw - you can find fav age tubes at a decent per store (baby birds are often fed this way). Check YouTube for how to.

Despite great efforts, I would guess more than half the fledglings we rescue and place on certified wildlife rehab centres will go on to die. The sentiment and respect for wildlife make the survivors worth the effort.

Glad to know the parents took charge and thanks for caring.

CC

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nice story!

Actually fledglings often fall out or even "escape" by free will from the nest long before they can fly. People often believe them to become abandoned. That's understandable since the birds look quite helpless and you seldom see the parents around (that's because there's a human around! :-) ).

But in most cases the parents have full control of their whereabouts and continue to feed them. The risk of being eaten by various predators (incl. birds of prey or even crows) is higher though, since they're often unprotected and near the ground.

• Like 1

Nice story!

Actually fledglings often fall out or even "escape" by free will from the nest long before they can fly. People often believe them to become abandoned. That's understandable since the birds look quite helpless and you seldom see the parents around (that's because there's a human around! :-) ).

But in most cases the parents have full control of their whereabouts and continue to feed them. The risk of being eaten by various predators (incl. birds of prey or even crows) is higher though, since they're often unprotected and near the ground.

The above, I've often found to be true.

Many a time I've seen something similar.

But great kudos to the OP for caring.

• Like 1

I've taken in pigeons that had left the nest too early. I either save them or they get splatted by cars and I didn't have the heart to let that happen. I would keep them for a few weeks, giving them bird seed and water. And when I got sick of having a pigeon flying around the place, I'd let it out, never to be seen again. Fortunately, their crap is dry and easily cleaned when fed bird seed.

• Like 1

Here's the little chap...he's stopped calling...so I guess he's full for now.

How about making a nest for it off the ground? Any small cardboard box would do fine. The parents would be able to find it even if you put it into a nest off the ground, assuming that they have free access to it.

• Like 2

I found same type of bird but a bit younger, unable to fly and only a few feathers. I placed hon in a small box with some straw and hand fed him red ant eggs that are available at local market. He stayed for 4 weeks and in the last week would fly in and out of my room returning for food. Last week he left and i see him in the garden. Lot of fun. Good luck

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the little guy didn't make it. I found him this morning very unwell on the floor being marauded by ants and he was voiceless...always crying but no sound. I fed him some water which didn't improve his state. So I put him/her out of misery. First time I have ever done that and I don't want to experience that again...even something so tiny...you could feel life leaving.

The parents were not seen at all..no flying visits and no calling..so I have to presume the poor soul had little chance.

Really put a damper on the day ...I wish I had the same success as you did Pod8460. Well done to you.

• Like 1

A few years ago I found a bird in the middle of a suburban road, couldnt tell if it was sick or young or injured

took it back home, fed it overnight, and then drove it 45 mins to the local RSPCA in the morning,

to which they told me, it was a pest and by law/regulation, they had to put it down.

well that made me feel a bit useless and silly

• Like 1