When switch to new tires? I have passed 58.000 km. from new.

I need to replace my old tires on my MU7 soon have driven them around. 58.000 km. from new. The pattern is still very good, but has been recommended that tires should be replaced after 40.000 km. due to the rubber becomes hard and the tires do not perform well?

So out of sheer curiosity, after how many km. did you swapped out your tiers and why?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Approaching 80k on my original tires (Ford Ranger)...

Suppose I should put some new boots on her before 100k smile.png

I knew I drove my old Ford Ranger tires to long, could be 80.000 km,

as one tire lost his air, had a blow out after a fast driven section to my bank before closing time.

Luckily in the Banks parking lot and near a tire shop.

But I changed than all tires, (to late) after I had soon after a second blow out during driving on a High Way in Isaan and had to change the tire alone in the 40 Celsius in shadow heat - but there was no shadow!

I would have paid somebody, a helpful Moto bike driver to do it for me, but nobody stopped.

OMG how I was sweating. tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

-dagling-

I believe, from age, you can drive them 2 years more, so it depends how much used they are possibly before already.

Think, I had them to long, 6? years on my Ranger. rolleyes.gif

Your km you had driven them already, do not say much, regarding needy to change.

More likely age and how worn down they are. rolleyes.gif

http://www.wikihow.com/Know-when-Car-Tires-Need-Replacing

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/when-should-i-change-my-tyres

My car will be 3 years in September.

I condone what ' warby ' says, it's a straight forward way to go.

A good cockpit outlet at my recent service checked my tyres when it went up on the ramp and there nearly 5 years old, no problem.

• Like 1

Your km you had driven them already, do not say much, regarding needy to change.

More likely age and how worn down they are. rolleyes.gif

http://www.wikihow.com/Know-when-Car-Tires-Need-Replacing

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/when-should-i-change-my-tyres

My car will be 3 years in September.

BTW OP out of curiosity? What brand?

I still have two tyres on the truck 7 years old, nothing wrong with them. OP, remember folk like Michelin guarantee their tyres for six years on a car, 9 years if the tyre has been on a shelf for 3 years.

I still have two tyres on the truck 7 years old, nothing wrong with them. OP, remember folk like Michelin guarantee their tyres for six years on a car, 9 years if the tyre has been on a shelf for 3 years.

And how many km. in 7 years? I have the original Bridgestone tyres, but make me a bit worry when people say they change tyres after 40.000 km. because they dont`t want to have some blow out in 120 km/h blink.png

And how many km. in 7 years? I have the original Bridgestone tyres, but make me a bit worry when people say they change tyres after 40.000 km. because they dont`t want to have some blow out in 120 km/h blink.png

Same I wrote, the -blow out- can come from old tires, not from the 40.000 km,

if you are not spinning them same a Dragster in Burn outs. tongue.png

Never felt the need to change tyres before they were worn out or blown out. If they have lasted 58K with wear left on them, then you are not a particularly aggressive driver otherwis they would have been worn out already. You might wish to check the sidewalls for cracks which will develope with age, but even this is not a sure indication of time to change.

With regard to rotating wheels (isnt that what they do anyway biggrin.png), I do not believe that it helps, in fact quite the oposite. You can only rotate wheels front to rear otherwise you will have the wrong direction of rotation. Rear wheels will usually have a neutral camber whereas front wheels will have a toe in/out camber which will require the tyres to be worn in again in their new positions which will certainly not extent the life of the tyre.

If however you ever feel that your safety is at risk, change them!

Be safe.

With regard to rotating wheels (isnt that what they do anyway biggrin.png), I do not believe that it helps, in fact quite the oposite. You can only rotate wheels front to rear otherwise you will have the wrong direction of rotation. Rear wheels will usually have a neutral camber whereas front wheels will have a toe in/out camber which will require the tyres to be worn in again in their new positions which will certainly not extent the life of the tyre.

Not true, it absolutely extends the life of a set of tires..

• Like 2

As stated above, 3mm tread is time to change. You can still sell them!

Rotating tyres should be done diagonally, but you may wish to examine the state of the rubber itself to be sure that this is worthwhile. I have seen tyres with fissures in all sorts of directions, bad news.

Do you notice any change in noise levels or performance characteristics such as how well the perform under hard braking? I changed some yokohamas at 40K because they were becoming excessively noisy, and I noticed that the grip was lower (hardened rubber) - easier to spin the wheels on hard accelerations - something an auto honda civic shouldn't be able to do biggrin.png . There was still plenty of tread, so we performance was still ok. So if there are no obvious issues, I don't thing there is any need to change them.

I replace them when they need it.

I believe manufacturers are in the business of selling tyres.

If there is sufficient tread on the full surface, and they do not shatter from brittle rubber when I kick them, and no cracks are apparent, I feel confident.

On my old 4 X 4 Ford the tyres needed changing about 50K on my current Ford I have 65K (rear wheel drive only) but I changed the front tyres because the rubber was hard and the grip in the wet was fading....still good tread but there was a deffinate grip issue. With new tyres on the front she is good in the wet at speed on good roads.....so for me its about grip not tread.

Manufacturers quote long life tires good up to 80,000 miles.

Just changed the bridgestone light truck tires on my pickup after 125,000k's and 8 years on the vehicle.

Tread was close to 3ml but they were still sticking like glue but the fear of a blow out was too great by then.

Rotation at 100,000k's gave them a new lease of life.

Easiest way to encourage a blow out is by driving around with them under inflated all the time. Side wall damage will see to that.

Edited by Coaster11

Rotating tyres should be done diagonally, but you may wish to examine the state of the rubber itself to be sure that this is worthwhile. I have seen tyres with fissures in all sorts of directions, bad news.

Sorry once again to make a correction, hope you don't take this one personally too, but at any rate it requires correction for safety's sake, not steel belted, steel belted are changed front to rear only..

0900c15280053941.gif

This time for the comfort of all concerned I've enclosed a illustration to verify my advice so there's no need to argue the point or the personal long time experience behind it. I'm not going to be be arsed to do this in every post to validate my advice any more than anyone else is required to do so, sometimes it'll just have to be taken on faith value if one wishes to follow it and if not well, no skin off my nose...

What's the difference between bias and radial ply, and how do I find out which type I have on my car?

Sorry once again to make a correction, hope you don't take this one personally too, but at any rate it requires correction for safety's sake, not steel belted, steel belted are changed front to rear only..

0900c15280053941.gif

This time for the comfort of all concerned I've enclosed a illustration to verify my advice so there's no need to argue the point or the personal long time experience behind it. I'm not going to be be arsed to do this in every post to validate my advice any more than anyone else is required to do so, sometimes it'll just have to be taken on faith value if one wishes to follow it and if not well, no skin off my nose...

What's the difference between bias and radial ply, and how do I find out which type I have on my car?

Highly unlikely you have biased ply tires on a modern car, really haven't used them for quite some time for autos, not even sure they make them any more for autos, mostly on larger trucks, trailers, buses, and as I guess now can also be added some motorcycles depending on the application needs, as the side walls tend to be stiffer, load carrying vehicles, though durability and performance not as good but these vehicles don't need those features and steel belted tires tend to be more expensive. They do not contain steel belts instead they have polyester ply belting and it is wrapped differently from steel belts thus the stiffness and loss of compliance and puncture protection that steel belted tires provide, it would say steel or bias ply on the sidewall....

Ok so I just watched the video James provided and it says much the same as what I said even if mostly referenced to bikes. I'd say though it seems they left off the fact that bias ply are not steel belted, they are cord and not steel, it seems that video was just referencing the actual belt structure and not the composition of the belts.

Edit: Just had a look and they do still make them but mostly for classic cars to retain that original look and profile, as I said not really for modern cars and not likely to find them for newer cars or on any newer cars since mid 70's..

Edited by WarpSpeed