When switch to new tires? I have passed 58.000 km. from new.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To replace tires is a safety issue. I once made 7 years with one set but when I hit a sidewalk on a drunken night the tired crumbled in pieces as the rubber was now all brittled. I suggest every 3 years because Thailand heat will dry and ruin the rubber.

To replace tires is a safety issue. I once made 7 years with one set but when I hit a sidewalk on a drunken night the tired crumbled in pieces as the rubber was now all brittled. I suggest every 3 years because Thailand heat will dry and ruin the rubber.

Parked in a place where exposed to the sun will do the same as well as the moist,corrosive air in places like Phuket will speed up the deterioration of the rubber.

Don't listen to the tyre shop, keep on motoring.........smile.png

Agree. I was in the motor industry for 30 years +. If you're not sure how to inspect your tires go to a certified tax & registration inspection station. They will either measure with a depth gauge or just visually inspect & advise. Any good large tire dealer would hopefully give you an honest opinion. Time/ age, has very little influence on replacement. As suggested above..... keep on motoring.

Cheers.... Mal.

Basically the rule of thumb cheapest and easy way is just take a coin like a 5 baht, from the top of the coin to the top of figure head if the tread is less than that it is time to replace the tired no matter how much miles you have put on the tired? Of course if the tread where is uneven outside or inside it is also a sign of replacement and a sign the air is too low or high.

In Thailand what I have found is as it gets near time to replace I check the air pressure more and if I noticed small leakage in any tire it is also time? Rarely do I use the recommended miles replace guide. Proper pressure and rotation goes a long way?

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

A 5 baht coin inserted and measured to the top of the head on the coin should give you a decent measure of tread depth. If it is in deeper than the head the depth is still good.. Personally for me the tires are at their best when reaching 3 mils, but that's for dry handling performance, wet not so much but still not so much a concern for me.

^Ha! beat me to it... By that much.....

Edited by WarpSpeed

That reads like a "blanket" suggestion for "all" tyres, and is not a true fact..........sad.png

Just more hype from the tire companies to sell more tires, I just watch for age cracks on the tires. Not much difference than oil companies saying to change engine oil every 3000 miles, eventhough Consumer Reports proved without any doubt that there was no difference in engine wear between changing oil every 3000 or 7000 miles, even high rpm cars.

Well I would err on the side of caution - considering the only thing touching the ground is the rubber - imagine having a catostrophic accident because one thought they could squeeze out a few extra thousand kms out of their rubber.

That's an interesting post just how much is the age of the tyre an issue against mileage? We use our car very little, less than 10k kilometres in three years so will they need replacing before the tread wears out?

On my fun ride the front tyres were 20 years old and still like new, the rear "street" drag race tyres were dumped in about one year.

Rubber compound mix is the key for a particular use, all compounds are not equal or the same.

If the car is only 3 years old so it is not because of age but you have to look at the pattern that is in the field and where there are detectors / lugs for 1.6 mm.Self think I should lie between 1.6 and 3, 0 mm should be sure not to hydroplaning as the may be particularly susceptible to certain periods of the year in Thailand.

Selv I mean up to five years is OK and between 50 to 70000km depending on the roads you drive on.
I say this as a Technical Supervicer after 47 years in the Toyota system

Hi.

I never wear worn ( IE over 3\4 tread wear) tyres in the wet season. regardless of age.

With very few exceptions they will let go.

Also at 6 yrs. Again, regardless I change then out. they are proven. with todays rubber compounds to not be safe after that.

I've blown a few over that date on caravans.

Mine Never get that old in cars. Normally 75\80,000 on around 4 1\2 to 5 yrs.

Never buy cheap tyres.

Pirelli on my cars. and Bridgestone 694\697 A\T or 684\2 L\T on 4by's. You only have the equiv of 4 handspans gripping the road with a coupla ton. PLUS you. Missus, and kids riding on them.

Don't be stingy. You're a long time dead. wrapped round a tree or back of a truck.

• Like 1

By the way, don't forget to rotate.... I did last weekend and the guy at the shop seemed a bit surprised I wanted to: 300 for the rotate + 340 for the alignment. I asked him in Thai do many Thai people come in for rotation, he replied no, they buy new lol

Rotate for what ?

They were doing it 20 years ago but nowadays I find it ridiculous, I just buy new tyres !!!

By the way, don't forget to rotate.... I did last weekend and the guy at the shop seemed a bit surprised I wanted to: 300 for the rotate + 340 for the alignment. I asked him in Thai do many Thai people come in for rotation, he replied no, they buy new lol

Rotate for what ?

They were doing it 20 years ago but nowadays I find it ridiculous, I just buy new tyres !!!

please let me know the brand so I can buy their shares. lol

• Like 1

With regard to rotating wheels (isnt that what they do anyway biggrin.png), I do not believe that it helps, in fact quite the oposite. You can only rotate wheels front to rear otherwise you will have the wrong direction of rotation. Rear wheels will usually have a neutral camber whereas front wheels will have a toe in/out camber which will require the tyres to be worn in again in their new positions which will certainly not extent the life of the tyre.

Not true, it absolutely extends the life of a set of tires..

"

I wish some posters would do a bit of research before they produce rubbish".The tyres can only be rotated from front to rear"------ RUBBISH Must keep the same direction of rotation--------RUBBISH. That's exactly the reason tyres are rotated.Have a look at any car handbook and it will show you the front left goes on the rear right----the front right goes on the rear left---- need I go on or can you work out what to do with the two rears !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

With regard to rotating wheels (isnt that what they do anyway biggrin.png), I do not believe that it helps, in fact quite the oposite. You can only rotate wheels front to rear otherwise you will have the wrong direction of rotation. Rear wheels will usually have a neutral camber whereas front wheels will have a toe in/out camber which will require the tyres to be worn in again in their new positions which will certainly not extent the life of the tyre.

"

I wish some posters would do a bit of research before they produce rubbish".The tyres can only be rotated from front to rear"------ RUBBISH Must keep the same direction of rotation--------RUBBISH. That's exactly the reason tyres are rotated.Have a look at any car handbook and it will show you the front left goes on the rear right----the front right goes on the rear left---- need I go on or can you work out what to do with the two rears !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

haha yea - you'll be glad to know the guys at the shop I use ACT didn't need to be reminded of this..

Seems we all I have differing usage. I never Rotate on my personal Car 40K in 14 Months and the front are worn out anyway.Sons T/Blazer goes no where so they can just rot away outside Night Clubs, he never goes fast on roads,wife just leaves it to Honda service. I only use Tyre Plus and Michlin.7 Years they recon.

"

Many tires are assymetrical and cannot be swapped left to right. They are also unidirectional.

These are on my car. They can only be moved front to back and on the same side.

http://forums.techarp.com/attachments/chai/25644d1290643015-my-latest-tyres-acquisition-michelin-pilot-sport-3-dsc_1155.jpg

• Like 1

Rotation is a personal choice. i ask them not to rotate due to hi klics, and the front half way worn down grip better in the dry as Warpy says. Its circumsances, so it suits me and James, and may not be right for others. Some Idiot Tyre joints manage to mix up directional tyres when balancing.. Sort of Banana Coloured Place..biggrin.png

Rotate for what ?

That quote is ridiculous. Rotation has proven to even out & prolong tire life. Why buy new tires ? With the money you obviously have why not just but a new car ?

As none of my cars costs less than 5 MB I still prefer to change tyres instead of being a cheap charlie...

"

Ignorance is bliss isn't it? I guess you choose to completely ignore the illustration I courteously took the time to search and put up for the benefit of those who require/requested education and confirmation on the topic. See it really matters not even if you hold someone's hand they still manage to deny, doubt & avoid the free education provided even in view-able references they don't believe their own eyes, so it really is a complete waste of time to do so, there's always one, or more.. Except that I know there are those here who do benefit from it so I'll continue to do so for them in spite of those who don't/can't benefit from ANY form of information.

Edited by WarpSpeed

"

haha yea - you'll be glad to know the guys at the shop I use ACT didn't need to be reminded of this..

Waffle James??

Rotate for what ?

That quote is ridiculous. Rotation has proven to even out & prolong tire life. Why buy new tires ? With the money you obviously have why not just but a new car ?

Certainly didn't spend it on an education, can't even get that when it's offered for free as I did a couple of pages back and he used that quote to post his ermm "rubbish"..

Rotate for what ?

As none of my cars costs less than 5 MB I still prefer to change tyres instead of being a cheap charlie...

You might not be a cheap charlie but you come across as a d*ck thumbsup.gif

Can anyone say, shoe changed? Other foot?? Realization whistling.gif