Can I enter Thailand twice on visa-exempt entries now?

I plan to head to Thailand from Laos in the near future, spend a few days in the north, then head across the Mae Sai land border to Myanmar to visit friends for a week or so. Then I want to re-enter for around 30 days and visit friends in different parts of Thailand before exiting again. I travelled around Thailand for around 6 months on a series of 15 day visa free entries last year, but I consistently exited and stayed for several weeks in surrounding countries as well so immigration authorities didn't give me any hassle as I wasn't a cut-clear visa runner. But with this new crackdown am I likely to have a problem, or will they see clearly what I am up to and just stamp me in?

That's not how I read the new changes effective from Aug 12. It seems to be about how many days you have stayed in Thai over past several months using visa exempt stamps. I have done this for a year because like you I like to see Asia and often go to Vietnam for couple of weeks every month. Now its changed I will go to AU get a non immigrant O visa then extend on basis of retirement. I don't have an issue with this. Its their country and their laws.

• Like 1

If for example you have just finished on a double entry tourist visa from Laos and have only left Thailand once in that time (after 90 days) you then decide rather than going back to Laos to apply for another tourist visa you decide to go to say HK or KL for a night and then come back on a 30 day tourist visa, are you likely to have a problem?

You not a have a problem because you have been on a tourist visa not had several 30 day visa exempt (they are not tourist visas) entries you should not have a poblem

Yes I understand that, thanks.

If I was to go out and come back in on another 30 day visa exampt, making it 2 back to back, would they likely be a problem? I assume it would be.

You not a have a problem because you have been on a tourist visa not had several 30 day visa exempt (they are not tourist visas) entries you should not have a poblem

If I was to go out and come back in on another 30 day visa exampt, making it 2 back to back, would they likely be a problem? I assume it would be.

Yes it could be a problem. But nobody knows exactly what the rules will be for flying out and back in.

Yes it could be a problem. But nobody knows exactly what the rules will be for flying out and back in.

Yes, all a bit vague still, but from what I understand the so called crackdown will be at the airports as well as the borders.

If they do enforce the back to back or even not allow 2 or 3 non exempt entires over a small period of time at the airports that is going to cause huge problems for many people, surely? I just don't see ow it can be realistically enforced,. There could be numerous reason why an individual would for example spend a month here then Europe for a month then back here agai,n etc, particualry those with families here..

I would also assume that immigration will start questioning you, but that's not the end of the world. Present your case honestly and give them any documents that confirm your story and you'll probably be OK. When I recently re-entered (OK on a tourist visa but still) I was simply asked where I'm going and what I'll be doing. I answered that I'll be heading to Bangkok to stay with my girlfriend. The officer smiled and stamped me in. That was in Had Lek, Trat province. Previously Thai immigration almost never questioned anybody (except nationals of poorer countries in Africa, the Pacific, South Asia etc.) but nowadays they are starting to talk with most people and I don't think that's a problem. In other countries immigration officials talk with most everyone to ascertain their story.

I would also assume that immigration will start questioning you, but that's not the end of the world. Present your case honestly and give them any documents that confirm your story and you'll probably be OK. When I recently re-entered (OK on a tourist visa but still) I was simply asked where I'm going and what I'll be doing. I answered that I'll be heading to Bangkok to stay with my girlfriend. The officer smiled and stamped me in. That was in Had Lek, Trat province. Previously Thai immigration almost never questioned anybody (except nationals of poorer countries in Africa, the Pacific, South Asia etc.) but nowadays they are starting to talk with most people and I don't think that's a problem. In other countries immigration officials talk with most everyone to ascertain their story.

Mmm, maybe, maybe not (will be ok)

This is going to really cause a lot of problems. Ok, the borders were fair game, but the airports?? Doesn't this violate any type of law, like freedom to travel, etc?

Unfortunately most of us have probably experienced very different interpretations of the rules from Thai officials quite often at the same office on different days. It doesn't inspire me with any confidence in their ability to implement these rules intelligently, consistently or fairly. I hope I am proven wrong though.

• Like 1

Unfortunately most of us have probably experienced very different interpretations of the rules from Thai officials quite often at the same office on different days. It doesn't inspire me with any confidence in their ability to implement these rules intelligently, consistently or fairly. I hope I am proven wrong though.

You have missed the point. Nobody really quite knows what 'these rules' are, let alone whether or not said rules will be implemented intelligently, fairly or consistently.

Edited by Essex Exile

Mmm, maybe, maybe not (will be ok)

This is going to really cause a lot of problems. Ok, the borders were fair game, but the airports?? Doesn't this violate any type of law, like freedom to travel, etc?

Actually I would actually think you are better off entering Thailand at land borders. Why? Well for starters, 7 day stays are generally given if you aren't completely admissible. Second, going back to the country you came from is not a problem and won't involve the hassle of organizing flights, or being detained in IDC in the meantime. However, one problem could be at the Myanmar border. Make sure you go there with a Myanmar visa, otherwise you may be refused exit. If you are re-entering Thailand after ending a stay in Myanmar on a visa, then it could become a problem, because Myanmar would have to uncancel your visa after being informed of not being allowed entrance into Thailand - however, since 7 days are generally given you should be OK. In the case of Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia, you can just get a new visa or entry permit.

There have been a number of reports of foreigners denied immigration clearance at the airport and held until they can book a flight (booking online should be possible but apparently there is a procedure whereby immigration can make it difficult and force you to return on any flight they see fit etc.) In some cases these foreigners were subsequently allowed to enter Thailand without being deported but it wasn't a pleasant experience of course.

I have no idea why they aren't giving out 7 day stamps at the airport when to me, it's much more complicated to negotiate with the airlines to take a rejected passenger than getting a foot passenger to leave Thailand at a land crossing. However, perhaps because the 7-day stamp would be an invitation to overstay or just come back again as a border runner is why airport officials aren't that generous.

OK I entered at Chiang Khong, one f*rang on a busload of people-from-the-east, immigration officer took one look at me and the passport (which is full of pages of Laos Thai Myanmar and Malaysia stamps from when I was here 1-2 years ago) and stamped me in with 30 days. I exited at Mae Sai and am now in Myanmar, at the exit the immigration officers looked through the passport and noted that I had been in Thailand 2 days (I heard them talking amongst themselves), I will re-enter after spending some time here in Shan State and expect the other 30 days. Seems like if you're legitimate there is no problem, just like before.