Getting a Bank Draft in Thailand.

I cannot recall ever getting a bank draft anywhere, ever.

Now I have to get one for the Irish consulate here.

They said make it 'payable to "Consulate of Ireland"'

Seems a bit short to me.

Is there a name in Thai for Bank Draft, or do I just go to any bank and tell them I need one for x amount of money, made payable to "Consulate of Ireland", and that's it, they print it off?

Thanks.

"Is there a name in Thai for Bank Draft, or do I just go to any bank and tell them I need one for x amount of money, made payable to "Consulate of Ireland", and that's it, they print it off?"

Yes, they will just print it off for you. Not all sub-branches keep blank bank drafts in the branch so they may need to order yours from their main branch. Once you find a branch that will do it for you getting a draft is a "peace of cake", even if you don't speak Thai. They should all be able to understand "Draft".

If you don't have an account bring along your Thai drivers licence and or passport with copies. The fee for Thai baht drafts is so low I don'r recall how much it was.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

My Wife needs to get a couple in Surin .... can anyone suggest a Bank or branch there ... will the SCB have Bank Drafts

I got one recently in a SCB branch in a Big C mall so any main branch should have them. Costs vary depending on how much they are for.

My Wife needs to get a couple in Surin .... can anyone suggest a Bank or branch there ... will the SCB have Bank Drafts

I got a bank draft/bank cheque from my branch SCB in Pattaya for a condo no problem they did it on the spot. I think you will need to have a bank account with them

Just bought one last week at an SCB branch in the Wanasin Market on the east side of Pattaya. The fee was 25 baht - an insignificant amount not based on check amount. Being a regular customer probably helps. The branch manager will be the only authorized signer usually so check for that presence also.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bankers draft in Thailand is called a "cashier's cheque" and the bank's charge for it is 20. baht.

Wrong.

Cashier cheques and draft are different.

Cashier cheque fee is 20 baht but there is a fee to put it in someone account (1000 baht for 1 million)

Bank draft costs 1000 baht for 1 milion for emission but then the receiver can put it in his account or free.

A bankers draft in Thailand is called a "cashier's cheque" and the bank's charge for it is 20. baht.

Wrong.

Cashier cheque fee is 20 baht but there is a fee to put it in someone account (1000 baht for 1 million)

Bank draft costs 1000 baht for 1 milion for emission but then the receiver can put it in his account or free.

You are entirely wrong ...

A bankers draft is a cheque issued by the banks, and a cashire cheque is a cheque issued by the Thai banks.

I have taken many cashire's cheque's from the Thai banks were I hold my accounts

I have purchased many cars in Thailand, the car prices were between 1,350,000 - and 1.900.000 - I purchased a land property for a second home, the price was 3,500.000 -.

I pay each time the total cash sum of the purchased items, it gets out of my bank account into the cashire cheque to make the payment and I have done this many, many times and each time the fee for the cashire's cheque was 20 baht.

Wrong.

A bankers draft is a cheque issued by the banks, and a cashire cheque is a cheque issued by the Thai banks.

I have taken many cashire's cheque's from the Thai banks were I hold my accounts

I have purchased many cars in Thailand, the car prices were between 1,350,000 - and 1.900.000 - I purchased a land property for a second home, the price was 3,500.000 -.

I pay each time the total cash sum of the purchased items, it gets out of my bank account into the cashire cheque to make the payment and I have done this many, many times and each time the fee for the cashire's cheque was 20 baht.

What is wrong ? you do not know what is a draft and only use cashier cheque for which the fee is 20 baht.

Thai banks issue cashier cheque for 20 baht and draft for 0.1 %, I checked most banks and the fee is the same, so what is wrong ?

But it seems that you do not even know that the one who receive the cheque will have to pay 0.1% at least if he is in another province.

Please come back again when you will know what is a bank draft in Thailand <3

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/25/2014 at 11:27 AM, personchester said:

Wrong, Cashier cheques and drafts are different.

On 7/30/2014 at 10:21 PM, personchester said:

The one who is entirely wrong is you...