Is it an okay time to show up and teach English? Just looking for some good feedback!

Cada

Why all the negativity and snarky replies?

It is very common for negative, unhappy, dissatisfied and bored people to share their sad existence. This forum provides an annonymous opportunity for the negatives to insult, degrade and belittle strangers without any consequences.

Fortunately, the negatives are in the minority. They make a lot of "noise", are obnoxious, but eventually crawl back into their dark, moist, fowl smelling nests of negativity.

As for "Snarks". They are similar types, but take up less time, make shorter remarks and are sometimes humerous. Of the two types, the snark is less offensive and tastier.

Bon Appetit !

Thank you Benmart and to all of the others that left some helpful feedback! I am coming over from the states. I have been doing much research on my own and with help but wanted to reach outside the bubble.

Best

Yes -

My advice is to get a low cost hotel for 2 weeks
(Tourist visa 2 months is a must for slow paperwork provision)

Do your research for addresses and try to meet a person with Director access

Get a Rabbit card for 'subway' travel.

Universities "Should" ask for a real Masters but May pay less than a High school!!

Once you have got contacts at your preferred location get back-up -

Like this:
from your hotel get a Taxi to the nearest large school:

drop off your CV/Resume PHOTO (To show you are "Western/Foreign"), with Local phone number...

After that get another taxi to next nearest school and so on,
until you form a circle back to your hotel.

Then relax and wait for the phone calls - whilst looking at Ajarn.com etc.

If all else fails ask an agent

PS Have you survived on McDonalds wages before?

I think it pizzed off a couple on how the question was posed.

Ppl that want to go this route should understand, just because you know English does not mean you can teach as I would be dreadful.. Also, like one has mentioned, it's not like it once was as many now have to work at multiple schools just to get full time hours.

I'd suggest Vietnam or Cambodia, they need teachers there..

There are many full time jobs available.

I think it pizzed off a couple on how the question was posed.

Ppl that want to go this route should understand, just because you know English does not mean you can teach as I would be dreadful.. Also, like one has mentioned, it's not like it once was as many now have to work at multiple schools just to get full time hours.

I'd suggest Vietnam or Cambodia, they need teachers there..

Put it into perspective.

McDonalds pays the minimum wage, an NES teacher here makes 5x Thailand's minimum.

I made good money back home but struggled to put $500 a month into savings. Here, I have a great life here and can put $400 a month away on a teacher's salary

Edited by duanebigsby

Thailand can be a very cheap place to live and it can be a very expensive place to live.

But if you do not spend a lot of time in bars, if you do not go to a lot of Western (more expensive) restaurants, its not at all difficult to live in BKK on 35,000 per month.

Housing: 8,000 including utilities

Food: 200 per day, 6,000 per month

Transportation: 50 per day, 1,500 per month.

You have just covered the basics and you have spent less than 1/2 your salary.

Put it into perspective.
McDonalds pays the minimum wage, an NES teacher here makes 5x Thailand's minimum.

I made good money back home but struggled to put $500 a month into savings. Here, I have a great life here and can put $400 a month away on a teacher's salary
  • Like 1

Maybe because Thailand is full of foreign 'teachers' who are anything but, unqualified chancers who want a way to be here for the nightlife. My advice is please don't bother, Thai kids deserve better.

Maybe because Thailand is full of foreign 'teachers' who are anything but, unqualified chancers who want a way to be here for the nightlife. My advice is please don't bother, Thai kids deserve better.

You are absolutely correct with this statement

"Maybe because Thailand is full of foreign 'teachers' who are anything BUT unqualified chancers "

Except this bit.

"who want a way to be here for the nightlife."

As the vast majority of teachers currently working in Thailand have been for multiple years and have families here. When most came to work here there was no degree in education ruling. In fact for many there were no official minimum requirements other than any the school wanted (they were the hirer after all)

Do you honestly know any Western education degree holders who would come and work 24 contact hours with 40plus students per class (sometimes with no aircon) for 35k + baht per month..US.$1088 ..OR £638...would you?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

Why would you expect that all you need to do is "show up" in order to teach English in Thailand? Is that how schools operate in your country?

Would you write a similar message to the principal of a school and expect that he/she would even bother to respond to your request for information, let alone offer you a position?

YMMV, but I know of hirings where a school used their best English speaker and then no professional questions would be asked.

Instead, the school in question wanted the successful applicant to board a bus the very same evening!

It may sound pompous and condescending, but do check out the folks taking the TOEIC test on Wednesdays in Bangkok. The teachers among them. Some have very limited vocabularies. But some schools hired them. You as a NES might have a lot to offer...

I've been here around 20 years (not all of that time was spent teaching), but I believe a degree has been a requirement all that time.

Scott. Not sure if your post was a reaction to mine if so I stated

" When most came to work here there was no degree in education ruling "

An B'ed is not just a usual degree hence the problems people are having now. I've only been here 9 years but cannot recall a degree being a requirement at all until the inception of Krusapha. Certainly some schools and university's required it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I started, a degree was required by the MOE. Whether it was a legal requirement or not I don't know, but I know several schools were not allowed to hire people without a degree. I don't know if that meant all schools.

It was easier getting a job. I knew a guy who didn't have an actual Bachelor's but had an Associates and then some other courses and he was able to get it approved as 'equivalent to a Bachelor's degree'.

...but I think we are getting off-topic.

A degree is the official minimum qualification for being an English teacher in Thailand.

Where have I said anything different?

Can you be employed without one? Yes. There are thousand of teachers currently working without degrees. We all know that is a simple fact.

Do teachers working on visas other than B get fined or deported? Fair to say almost never.

Can you get a provisional teachers license from TCT without a degree? My second-hand information tells me yes. I have set up a meeting with TCT to find out more.

Why so many of you want to dump all of your life frustrations on me I will never know. I can tell you I do not lose sleep over it. I can only assume a few of you feel angry, frustrated and unfulfilled in your life and these forums are your means of venting.

I will just keep posting the truth. Because I do not need to be an anonymous bully on a forum to feel good about myself.

None of this has anything to do with the OP. I was the first to answer his question, after five or six needlessly angry and pointless posts, explaining the seasonal hiring periods for English teachers. I know, I just answered his question honestly and accurately because I have some financial interest.... Sure. That must be it.

I've been here around 20 years (not all of that time was spent teaching), but I believe a degree has been a requirement all that time.

Edited by CharlieH

OP, as many said you'll want to be here during the term breaks to look for work.

I wouldn't limit yourself to the big cities either. Thailand has lots of smaller cities and towns if you prefer the quieter life.

I'm teaching in Chiang Rai because I'm not fond of big cities at all.