Health Insurance for Foreigners in Chiang Mai

Mapguy

"Can you imagine a private company doing a better job than the government? Fed Ex v. The USPS?"

Wait, are you saying the company that charges $7.50 to deliver a letter does it better than the one that charges $0.49 ?

Not necessarily so.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Can you imagine a private company doing a better job than the government? Fed Ex v. The USPS?"

Wait, are you saying the company that charges $7.50 to deliver a letter does it better than the one that charges $0.49 ?

Not necessarily so.

Ah but which is the more profitable business model? Depends upon how one defines "doing a better job".

Break

Back on topic. I went to the website suggested by Thighlander - www.hcc.com - and looked at the travel insurance offered. Was quoted $735 USD for six months, $100 deductible, $1M USD coverage, including MEDEVAC. Also went to BUPA Thailand website for a quote....their basic coverage was about the same price, their top tier platinum coverage was about $240 USD more expensive (and I don't remember for certain but I don't think it included any sort of MEDEVAC option.)

Now obviously I'm not certain how many back-to-back-to-back....etc. travel insurance policies a full time resident would be permitted to construct but if one leaves occasionally (thus making it appear more "travel related" than "expat related") then that appears to be a better offer on the surface.

While the OP reads a bit like a mildly arrogant rant, IMO, I do appreciate the discussion of this topic. Like many neophytes who read about the "inexpensive world class healthcare" in Thailand... upon closer inspection and investigation, it appears that many hospitals won't admit a patient without either (a) insurance or (B) a pocket full of Thai baht at the time of admission. Made me re-think some things.

Edited by Diplomatico

Like many neophytes who read about the "inexpensive world class healthcare" in Thailand... upon closer inspection and investigation, it appears that many hospitals won't admit a patient without either (a) insurance or (cool.png a pocket full of Thai baht at the time of admission. Made me re-think some things.

I don't understand. Are you saying that closer investigation leads you to conclude that Thailand isn't offering world class healthcare or that it's expensive? Or both?

Like many neophytes who read about the "inexpensive world class healthcare" in Thailand... upon closer inspection and investigation, it appears that many hospitals won't admit a patient without either (a) insurance or (cool.png a pocket full of Thai baht at the time of admission. Made me re-think some things.

I don't understand. Are you saying that closer investigation leads you to conclude that Thailand isn't offering world class healthcare or that it's expensive? Or both?

Neither. I had considered "self-insuring"....that is, pay cash as you go. ( I'm relatively young and in relatively good health.) However, in the case of something somewhat serious, I wouldn't want to have to rely upon access to an ATM, waiting for Bangkok Bank to open, or waiting for a wire transfer to clear the banking system prior to gaining access to treatment. (Yes, I know, that was probably naive and ill-conceived on my part.)

Fortunately, my participation on TVF has provided some valuable insight.

Edited by Diplomatico

I have that policy for 4 years now. Just got my renew notice and new premium is 97k! What now?

Is your agent playing games with you? It's possible. A friend of mine (same age as me) paid 56k for BUPA platinum and I pay 45.6k currently.

I will be having a meeting to discuds this at the office after bhuda days......i have been very happy with bupa until this renewal. My policy also covers my wife so....actually prem was 62k last year. Now 97k for the 2 of us. Ridiculous!

It can be Age Related

I have looked in the past\t it depends on age then the premiums go up accordingly.

Insurance Companies,Banks and Lawyers,I am afraid I do not trust any of them,

this is based on past experiences with them,they can wriggle out of anything as

they interpret all the small print in their favour,which is written in legal mumbo-

jumbo,so the average person cannot possibly understand it,so you are at a

disadvantage from the beginning.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Insurance Companies,Banks and Lawyers,I am afraid I do not trust any of them,

this is based on past experiences with them,they can wriggle out of anything as

they interpret all the small print in their favour,which is written in legal mumbo-

jumbo,so the average person cannot possibly understand it,so you are at a

disadvantage from the beginning.

regards Worgeordie

Yes, but if this line of reasoning is used as an excuse for doing nothing -- for not even setting funds aside in a special emergency savings account -- then you're really going to have a big problem in the future. The problem when people throw up their hands and say "I'll just self-insure", is that most don't have a couple million baht set aside that they (or their loved ones) can easily access in case of an emergency.

Exactly the conclusion that I reached.

Not necessarily so.

You didn't study the new word. Must have had too many syllables. One is a very successful company, the other bleeds like a ruptured aneurism. One makes over a billion per year in profits; the other loses more than 10 billion. If is an important document; send it Fedex. If it's not that important or doesn't require wet signatures; use email. For everything in between, Mother's Day Cards........pay the 49 cents, and cross your fingers.

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1

Thanks again, Thailander. Next time I mail a letter I will take into consideration the annual profits of the carrier.

"We the people, in order to form a more perfect union, turn big profits,...." No that's not how it goes, is it?

======

On topic; one option when the premium/payout ratio gets too ridiculous and you're in good health is to just carry accident insurance.

I figure I'm much more likely to need treatment for traffic related or other accidents than for disease.

Comments?

I guess the 70 million, who starved to death when Mao "collectivized" food production in china were just a cost of doing business. Either way your insurance isn't going to cover poor education, intellect, and common sense. Thank you TV for the "ignore" feature.

• Like 1

I sincerely hope we are done talking about irrelevant problems or comparisons in the USA or the unfortunate history of China.

There are, as indicated in above posts on the thread topic, many roads to take to secure health insurance, but there are many cracks to fall through leaving some very vulnerable expats, especially the elderly in trouble, many of whom gave up coverage by their home country health care systems. Chiang Mai is a magnet for long-stay retirees, of course, many of whom apparently have little or no health insurance coverage. That seems to have been borne out by the experience locally at Nakorn Ping Hospital.

Orthodox remedies, many discussed above, don’t seem to cover the situation.

A private policy with guaranteed lifetime renewal works many times depending upon individual policy restrictions and benefits too variable to consider here. There are restrictions, of course, having to do with age. Continuous coverage with the same insurance firm tom an early age can work, but many firms will refuse to cover any new applicants over 60 or 65. (Some companies are more permissive — at ramped-up high rates.) Then, of course, the price of coverage goes up the older you get, and the increase can take your breath away. Elderly expatriates with limited or no private coverage that follows them to Thailand could be trouble very quickly.

Continuing coverage associated with employment and retirement benefits can work very well if generous enough. Many are not.

Home country national health services often do not work for their citizens abroad. Americans and British residents abroad come to mind. Government policy can change, as in the UK with eligibility for NHS services.

Self-insurance may be adequate, too, if a person is rich enough and has salted away sufficient funds. It might stand alone or be used to supplement a low-cost-low-benefit policy. Setting aside an emergency fund of US$2 million if you have no insurance has been suggested above. If you have that much to draw upon, as well as adequate regular income, you are fortunate. Many do not have the wherewithal.

Travel insurance was also suggested above. Back-to-back policies. Would this be kosher? And it sounds expensive. Besides, aren’t most travel policies designed for international travel with fairly limited health care benefits until you get home where coverage ends?

In Thailand…

Some expats are long-time workers who qualify for government health coverage, and may also be provided with private coverage from their employers. If you work legally for a year (Fact check appreciated if wrong), you can qualify for some form of government health insurance. I am not familiar with benefits provided. This is not the 30 bhat plan. But one must have had a work permit and so on. Retired expatriates who have not qualified prior to retirement are not eligible, and they are forbidden to work.

The 30 bhat plan is basicaally the plan that catches all Thais left (now including immigrants from adjacent countries) not covered in other ways. Under the regrettable recent boondoggle if other foreigners were patient enough to deal with regional coverage, a somewhat complicated referral system, some restrictions on medications and treatments, and the sweaty crowded least-expensive hospital accommodations, the 30 bhat plan (especially the short-lived version offered to foreigners) was still a huge bargain. Nonetheless, one or more facilities were shocked by the needs and demands for service by older foreigners, many apparently with expensive serious medical problems.

So we are back to realizing that a lot of expatriates don’t have adequate coverage — unless, one would hope, the pool of expatriates can be made actuarially sound in some way. That’s why a government policy combining short- (tourist) and long-stay expatriates together (with an appropriate fee structure).

Over to you!

• Like 2

I sincerely hope we are done talking about irrelevant problems or comparisons in the USA or the unfortunate history of China.

There are, as indicated in above posts on the thread topic, many roads to take to secure health insurance, but there are many cracks to fall through leaving some very vulnerable expats, especially the elderly in trouble, many of whom gave up coverage by their home country health care systems. Chiang Mai is a magnet for long-stay retirees, of course, many of whom apparently have little or no health insurance coverage. That seems to have been borne out by the experience locally at Nakorn Ping Hospital.

A private policy with guaranteed lifetime renewal works many times depending upon individual policy restrictions and benefits too variable to consider here. There are restrictions, of course, having to do with age. Continuous coverage with the same insurance firm tom an early age can work, but many firms will refuse to cover any new applicants over 60 or 65. (Some companies are more permissive — at ramped-up high rates.) Then, of course, the price of coverage goes up the older you get, and the increase can take your breath away. Elderly expatriates with limited or no private coverage that follows them to Thailand could be trouble very quickly.

Continuing coverage associated with employment and retirement benefits can work very well if generous enough. Many are not.

Home country national health services often do not work for their citizens abroad. Americans and British residents abroad come to mind. Government policy can change, as in the UK with eligibility for NHS services.

Self-insurance may be adequate, too, if a person is rich enough and has salted away sufficient funds. It might stand alone or be used to supplement a low-cost-low-benefit policy. Setting aside an emergency fund of US$2 million if you have no insurance has been suggested above. If you have that much to draw upon, as well as adequate regular income, you are fortunate. Many do not have the wherewithal.

Travel insurance was also suggested above. Back-to-back policies. Would this be kosher? And it sounds expensive. Besides, aren’t most travel policies designed for international travel with fairly limited health care benefits until you get home where coverage ends?

In Thailand…

Some expats are long-time workers who qualify for government health coverage, and may also be provided with private coverage from their employers. If you work legally for a year (Fact check appreciated if wrong), you can qualify for some form of government health insurance. I am not familiar with benefits provided. This is not the 30 bhat plan. But one must have had a work permit and so on. Retired expatriates who have not qualified prior to retirement are not eligible, and they are forbidden to work.

The 30 bhat plan is basicaally the plan that catches all Thais left (now including immigrants from adjacent countries) not covered in other ways. Under the regrettable recent boondoggle if other foreigners were patient enough to deal with regional coverage, a somewhat complicated referral system, some restrictions on medications and treatments, and the sweaty crowded least-expensive hospital accommodations, the 30 bhat plan (especially the short-lived version offered to foreigners) was still a huge bargain. Nonetheless, one or more facilities were shocked by the needs and demands for service by older foreigners, many apparently with expensive serious medical problems.

So we are back to realizing that a lot of expatriates don’t have adequate coverage — unless, one would hope, the pool of expatriates can be made actuarially sound in some way. That’s why a government policy combining short- (tourist) and long-stay expatriates together (with an appropriate fee structure).

Over to you!

I don't know how regulated the insurance available to expats in Thailand is. So even if you think you are covered, you may have very little protection. Before the advent of the ACA in the USA, insurance companies devoted huge resources to disallowing claims on all sorts of technicalities. After all, they're in business to make money. And once disaster strikes, you really can't intimidate them by threatening to taking your business elsewhere. Because no one will take your business except maybe - and that's a big maybe - at exorbitant rates. Of course, if you're an American and over 65, you can return to the USA for Medicare. And if you're lucky enough to be a Western European (at least mostly), you can also return home for care. This will work for conditions like cancer and heart disease. But if it's an accident and you have to be treated here, who knows if it will be paid for? And if it's something you can afford to pay for yourself, you probably should. Because the following year, the company will probably raise your rates. Save your insurance for something you can't pay for. Of course, it may be that if the insurance company finds out you were treated in hospital for a serious condition you paid for and didn't report, they may disallow your claim. I don't know if that's a fact, but it's something to look into.

In Thailand…

Over to you!

I don't know how regulated the insurance available to expats in Thailand is. So even if you think you are covered, you may have very little protection. Before the advent of the ACA in the USA, insurance companies devoted huge resources to disallowing claims on all sorts of technicalities. After all, they're in business to make money. And once disaster strikes, you really can't intimidate them by threatening to taking your business elsewhere. Because no one will take your business except maybe - and that's a big maybe - at exorbitant rates. Of course, if you're an American and over 65, you can return to the USA for Medicare. And if you're lucky enough to be a Western European (at least mostly), you can also return home for care. This will work for conditions like cancer and heart disease. But if it's an accident and you have to be treated here, who knows if it will be paid for? And if it's something you can afford to pay for yourself, you probably should. Because the following year, the company will probably raise your rates. Save your insurance for something you can't pay for. Of course, it may be that if the insurance company finds out you were treated in hospital for a serious condition you paid for and didn't report, they may disallow your claim. I don't know if that's a fact, but it's something to look into.

'And if you're lucky enough to be a Western European (at least mostly), you can also return home for care. This will work for conditions like cancer and heart disease.

I believe this is no longer the case for the UK. Unless it is an A&E admission you need to be referred by your registered doctor in most cases. Also if you have your pension/tax/banking registered as overseas you will not be covered by the NHS and will need private insurance/bank a/c.

Thanks again, Thailander. Next time I mail a letter I will take into consideration the annual profits of the carrier.

"We the people, in order to form a more perfect union, turn big profits,...." No that's not how it goes, is it?

======

On topic; one option when the premium/payout ratio gets too ridiculous and you're in good health is to just carry accident insurance.

I figure I'm much more likely to need treatment for traffic related or other accidents than for disease.

Comments?

Yes, accident insurance is a very reasonable alternative here in Thailand once the premiums get to be so high that you don't want to pay for comprehensive medical insurance.

I do suggest that you have a couple million baht salted away, though, for that final illness.

======

Comments?

Yes, accident insurance is a very reasonable alternative here in Thailand once the premiums get to be so high that you don't want to pay for comprehensive medical insurance.

I do suggest that you have a couple million baht salted away, though, for that final illness.

Yes, I guess accident insurance could be helpful, but how much does it cost and how much coverage is there? Looking at Bangkok Insurance Public Company Limited cost up to age 65, under the top plan offerred at 2480 baht you get 30,000 baht medical expenses covered for any one accident. That's not much, and wouldn't coverage over 65 have some exclusions, like riding a motorcycle? How much would this policy cost for people over 65?

Perhaps there are some other accident policy options. This Bangkok insurance is cheap and better than nothing, but it doesn't cover much in the way of medical costs except if something gruesome happens like loss of life, eyesight, hearing, speech or dismemberment or total permanent disability from an accident. There's also some very limited coverage for a year for loss of family income, total permanent disability.

Automobile insurance offers much more than that (at higher cost because a lot of other things are covered) but, say up to 100,000 per person, not 30,000 for one person.

Personal accident insurance doesn't seem to do much for plugging the hole. Otherwise, 2 million set aside is a very good idea, should you have 2 million.

Does any other company sell accident policies covering medical care to motorcyclists ? Is it solvent ?!

Edited by Mapguy

Thanks Nancy for all you do. Maybe waxing philosophical here, but if someone, unlike me, has a couple million salted away, will they really want to spend it on that "final illness" rather than leave it to the family?

I've been reading a lot lately that many health care providers have "do not resuscitate" tattoos and decline end-of-life procedures/treatments that only tend to prolong misery and drain the family coffers. Surely, it's a case-by-case decision.

Mapguy, Bangkok Insurance com has one called Happy 45+ that seems to cover up to age 80. Plan 3 offers 200,000 medical expenses per accident for 6,440 if the flyer is to be believed. I emailed them for an application but, surprise, surprise, no reply yet.

Mapguy, Bangkok Insurance com has one called Happy 45+ that seems to cover up to age 80. Plan 3 offers 200,000 medical expenses per accident for 6,440 if the flyer is to be believed. I emailed them for an application but, surprise, surprise, no reply yet.

Never mind. It looks like they've dropped it.

In Thailand…

Over to you!

I'll just get my other reading glasses.

• Like 1

Thanks Nancy for all you do. Maybe waxing philosophical here, but if someone, unlike me, has a couple million salted away, will they really want to spend it on that "final illness" rather than leave it to the family?

I've been reading a lot lately that many health care providers have "do not resuscitate" tattoos and decline end-of-life procedures/treatments that only tend to prolong misery and drain the family coffers. Surely, it's a case-by-case decision.

Part of the problem is that often you never really quite know if an illness is a "final illness". You won't believe how many age 75 and above tell me "I'm in good health, I take care of myself" as justification for why they don't need to worry about health costs and why that somehow means they're going to die quickly and quietly in their sleep.

People who are in their late 70s or 80s often recover just fine from a bout or pneumonia or a mild heart attack -- esp. those in good health who take care of themselves. Who is to say that's their "final illness" at the onset and walk away, refusing treatment? Sure, it makes sense to have a "do not resuscitate" order or not to start extraordinary live saving measures like kidney dialysis if the person goes into kidney failure, but you can easily run up a bill of a couple million baht handling something that is fully treatable in the elderly like recovery from pneumonia or a heart attack.

And, unfortunately, I've seen families who have had to stand by and let a loved one die because they lacked the funds to pay for procedures or medications recommended by the doctors. Would you want to put your family in that position? While the government hospitals here do have an obligation to provide emergency lifesaving services to everyone regardless of ability to pay, they draw the line at giving foreigners any drugs or procedures beyond what is normally provided to Thais under the 30 baht program. So, if a drug isn't on the approved list for the 30 baht plan -- then the family is asked to pay for it. Ditto for certain types of emergency surgery or diagnostic procedures. Unfortunately, it's the same for Thai people on the 30 baht program, too.

Edited by NancyL

The insurance company Thai Life has a nice office in the new Maya mall. Not sure how much English they speak in there but signing up for health insurance and submitting claims just got a lot more convenient for expats. They have quite reasonable packages for coverage.

The insurance company Thai Life has a nice office in the new Maya mall. Not sure how much English they speak in there but signing up for health insurance and submitting claims just got a lot more convenient for expats. They have quite reasonable packages for coverage.

are you sure it's "Thai Life" and not another company with a similar name? their website shows that they only sell life insurance.

======

Comments?

Yes, I guess accident insurance could be helpful, but how much does it cost and how much coverage is there? Looking at Bangkok Insurance Public Company Limited cost up to age 65, under the top plan offerred at 2480 baht you get 30,000 baht medical expenses covered for any one accident. That's not much, and wouldn't coverage over 65 have some exclusions, like riding a motorcycle? How much would this policy cost for people over 65?

Perhaps there are some other accident policy options. This Bangkok insurance is cheap and better than nothing, but it doesn't cover much in the way of medical costs except if something gruesome happens like loss of life, eyesight, hearing, speech or dismemberment or total permanent disability from an accident. There's also some very limited coverage for a year for loss of family income, total permanent disability.

Automobile insurance offers much more than that (at higher cost because a lot of other things are covered) but, say up to 100,000 per person, not 30,000 for one person.

Personal accident insurance doesn't seem to do much for plugging the hole. Otherwise, 2 million set aside is a very good idea, should you have 2 million.

Does any other company sell accident policies covering medical care to motorcyclists ? Is it solvent ?!

Some of my bike riding mates are using insurance from the GT Rider web site. I am looking into this soon as my Bupa just went through the roof after 4 years.

are you sure it's "Thai Life" and not another company with a similar name? their website shows that they only sell life insurance.

From this link to the health insurance, there is a Thai Life logo so they must sell it : http://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/product_wealthy.php

" Thai Health Insurance Public Company Limited is a member of Thai Life Insurance group of companies, the largest “Thai “ life insurance that has been trusted by 2.7 million policy holders with more than 20,000 agency force network and 250 branches cover the whole Kingdom. Thai Life group has provider all types of insurance products ranging from life insurance, general insurance, and health insurance. The company posses more than 1 billion bath in assets and has been granted A-credit rating from Standard & Poor’s."

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/company_eng.php

Some interesting comments above about different sources of insurance to cover accidents or take care of general health care needs. Accident insurance is much more restrictive in coverage and, comparatively, provides decidedly fewer benefits.

Otherwise, Thai Health Insurance Public Company may be a good company to consider. I do not know, and I am unable to read the details in Thai. As with any insurance company, it takes a lot of research to decide if coverage is appropriate, reliable, and economical. One thing unknown to me is that Standard and Poor's rates foreign insurance companies. An A- rating looks good, but I do not know what it means. Rating what? Probably investment quality, not quality of insurance.

Maybe some others will join me in checking all this out. Remember, in doing so, that accident (especially for motorcycle coverage!) insurance is not the same as health insurance. It is probably health insurance that is much, much more important to older people.

In the end, some of the major questions to ask are what are your circumstances (family responsibilities, et cetera), your general health, your age, and how much money you have in the bank. If it is not enough money to get appropriate health care coverage, who is going to take care of you,where, and at what cost to you and others?

The original question that was raised (with an unorthodox remedy) on this thread was how to take care of foreigners who do not have adequate insurance coverage, especially the elderly but also implying coverage for younger long-stay foreigners who need to think about such things earlier than they realize.

Speaking of general health, those who observed today and did not imbibe probably gave their fatty livers a break (to judge from the howls of complaint registered on TV Chiang Mai about bars closing)! But abstinence for the whole "lenten" season (which basically parallels the rainy season) is an awesome challenge within which to take the pledge !!

This topic is on page 3 now. it has run its course. As OP, I wish to thank those who made constructive comments.

The question raised is not at all an easy one to deal with, and this Chiang Mai forum (basically of people of English-language national origin) is often a venue for quick quips and some unfortunate personal feuds, rather than serious comments or discussion. So be it!

The health care alarm for foreigners in Thailand that has been raised is a national issue; nonetheless, Chiang Mai clearly has a concentration of "retired" foreigners on a thin or non-existent thread of healthy physical life with little or nothing to support them financially. And many in Chiang Mai here are obviously here in disregard of Thai immigration laws, as alluded to or otherwise made obvious in many threads of discussion throughout ThaiVisa. "Thailand" has been hospitable, but sometimes people take advantage of hospitality. Perhaps "Thailand" is becoming tired of that, especially the government.

Well, ThaiVisa is not exactly letters to the editors of The Guardian, New York Times or the Morning Herald. That's okay, but TV Chiang Mai is unfortunately often no more than internet-extended bar talk. Then, again, there have been many less "hamburger" and "Loi Khroh" threads on this TV Chiangmai site. Maybe more people are becoming more health conscious regarding these topics!

Until next time we meet...

• Like 2