Why do young people with better opportunities relocate to Thailand?

First, my history. Had my professional life in USA, road and bridge design/construction.

Started visiting Thailand, as a tourist, in the last millennium, My previous vacation spots were USA of course, Europe, Caribbean, S. America, finally Asia.

Maybe what I don't understand is why the younger people decided to relocate in Thailand. It doesn't seem like a great place to have a real career, unless you are on an expat package or work in the offshore energy sector elsewhere.

Your prime earning years, if you have a profession, is in your 20's-50's. By that time, you have whatever fortune you will ever acquire.

Why would you ever move here to teach English for a couple of thousand $US a month?

Always wondered about that. Had a few offers in Thailand, but never even seriously considered it for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was I could always make a lot more money in the West.

Insights?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because life isn't all about money.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

True.

Maybe the people are unskilled or just cant get a well paid job because a Polish person will do it for minimum wage, so the other option is working in a basic job for 300 baht an hour before tax and insurance.

Suddenly Thailand seems the best option even on 10k a week as it's cheaper to live there and they actually have sun.

Right, it's exciting, different, "good" weather, beaches, relateively low cost of living, ease of travel to other interesting places in the area.

Now-a-days jobs are more mobile, there are different ways to make money, and some people may have received small inheritances.

There are plenty of young people who also moved to other countries to work, not just Thailand. Australia, New Zealand, Central America, South America, Europe. Many young people also go to teach English in Japan/Korea/Taiwan where the pay is good. I have family members in their 20's that worked in Germany, Australia and Korea. I have friends in their 20's that have worked in China, Taiwan, New Zealand, and Columbia. It's a worldwide job market.

Also, life is not only about money :)

• Like 1

Why would you ever move here to teach English for a couple of thousand $US a month?

Hey, Mr. Big biggrin.png

"a couple of thousand $US".

This made me laugh. There is a number of English teachers that are happy with 2000.

I have worked for 2 multinational companies here.. Once you have the experience here plus international experience you can be on some attractive money here.

It's not like it's a step backwards there are some things we do here that just can't be done in the west due to the cost of labour. I have worked in China doing similar work and I much prefer living here.

I agree with the concept that it is better to live the life you want (and enjoy ...wherever that may be) Than to be stuck in some mundane 8-5 job you hate but make tons of money.

That being said ....opportunities abound wherever you are ....YES ....even here in Thailand ....Just have to look ....personally made plenty of money here in Thailand (real estate.....yeah, yeah , yeah ....I know ...never buy real estate in Thailand!....but has worked for me!)

My motto has always been "live the life you want, NOT the life others expect you to live!"

• Like 2

The people who you meet working in those jobs are on what probably is effectively a gap year or three. Not a concept well known in the US but well known and respected in most other English speaking jurisdictions to my knowledge. Done right it actually makes you more employable 'back home' as if you've survived a gap year in Asia it tends to highlight that you are resourceful, independent, self sufficient etc etc, all qualities employers value.

More many others Thailand is a good stating post for more asia centric careers. Others like myself, stay. I took a 50% pay cut when I first arrived but now compare myself to friends back home and am on par or above many in income terms and have a heck of a lot less stress.

Edited by samran

I earned plenty of money working in a career people compete to get into. But there's more to life than money and careers, and those who never realise this are the poorest of all.

Balance is the key. Get real- the kids who move to los early are idiots.

• Like 1

Thailand is a great place for young people who can party all night, sleep 'til noon, and still get up in time to trade palladium futures on the London Metals Exchange or write the next killer app.

These palladium people make less than engrit teachers.............lol.

I earned plenty of money working in a career people compete to get into. But there's more to life than money and careers, and those who never realise this are the poorest of all.

Balance is the key. Get real- the kids who move to los early are idiots.

Curious...Choochoo....Are you one of those kids who moved to los early????whistling.gif

Edited by beachproperty

I often pondered this myself, same as the OP. Thailand is a great place for foreigners to spend money; it's not a great place for foreigners to make money. The deck is stacked against you....as it should be. No country in the world would offer more opportunities to foreigners over its own citizens. That I get.

But to be fair, it could be a generational thing. My formative years growing up was in relative poverty, something I remember all to well. So as I was growing up, I was determined to become financially independent by the time I retired. Never wanted to be old, poor, and destitute. I've been so accustomed to this mentality that even now, when I don't even need the income, I'm still working and investing for that rainy day.

Perhaps the young expats in Thailand are not thinking that far ahead. They are living for today. I personally couldn't enjoy my life that way, always worrying about the future. But that's just me, I worry. To be young and just living for the moment, I suppose that could be the path to happiness. For the moment anyways.

• Like 1

All fair dinkum as my Australian mates would say. Glad to see we are all civil here.

My professional work was challenging and rewarding. For the young people on TVF that reside in Thailand, do you find the same result?

I don't want to write a book or anything, but there may be one for a young person to write.

More insight from farang young people who have landed in Thailand on an indefinite plan is what I would like to read about.

For those of you who think a foreigner can't make it in Thailand ......Read this

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-08/american-billionaire-made-in-thailand-keeping-kingdom-bet.html

Here's an excerpt from the article

"Perhaps no foreign-born investor has made a bigger personal bet on Thailand than Heinecke. As a U.S. diplomat’s son studying at the International School Bangkok in 1967, he resisted parental pressure to return home to enroll at Washington’s Georgetown University.

Instead, at age 17, he borrowed $1,200 and set up an office-cleaning company. By the time he became a Thai citizen, Heinecke had forged business ties with the royal family’s asset managers by leasing crown land on which he built hotels."

• Like 1

For those of you who think a foreigner can't make it in Thailand ......Read this

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-08/american-billionaire-made-in-thailand-keeping-kingdom-bet.html

"Perhaps no foreign-born investor has made a bigger personal bet on Thailand than Heinecke. As a U.S. diplomat’s son studying at the International School Bangkok in 1967, he resisted parental pressure to return home to enroll at Washington’s Georgetown University.

Instead, at age 17, he borrowed $1,200 and set up an office-cleaning company. By the time he became a Thai citizen, Heinecke had forged business ties with the royal family’s asset managers by leasing crown land on which he built hotels."

I don't think many of us have 'ambassador's son' in our resumes..whistling.gif

AND not many of you had the guts at 17 to tell your parents to shove it and borrow $1200 to start your own business!facepalm.gif

BUT there will always be those who couldn't make it who have an excuse as to WHY!

Guess yours is that you didn't have 'ambassador's son' in your resume coffee1.gif

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

I don't think many of us have 'ambassador's son' in our resumes..whistling.gif

AND not many of you had the guts at 17 to tell your parents to shove it and borrow $1200 to start your own business!facepalm.gif

A little OT, but is Bill Heinecke married to a Thai or farang? I've seen him with a farang woman from time to time, but was never sure if that was his wife.

I first traveled to PR China in 1988 -- no Internet, no ATM, no Skype, no mobile phone -- most communication had to be done by English telex both within China and from the USA. Within China they used a system whereby each Chinese character had a number well into the thousands of characters.

So when some ask why some who are in more advanced years have no understanding of how younger persons operate today, it's in large part because it was not possible back then to operate as it is today.

• Like 1