Fried Lotus Seeds - Nice Thai snack!

wesleys

Eh? It grows like a weed everywhere, so why should people outside of Bangkok (and quite a few of us do live outside of Bangkok) buy it prepacked? I have seen them growing in Bangkok also.

haha. I mean " FRIED lotus seeds " .They're fried and ready to eat.

The fried lotus seeds are eating as a snack, like potato snack or popcorn snack.

Edited by wesleys

Eh? It grows like a weed everywhere, so why should people outside of Bangkok (and quite a few of us do live outside of Bangkok) buy it prepacked? I have seen them growing in Bangkok also.

Mate, there's really no point in you responding to this thread, is there?

Thanks, OP, you've piqued my curiosity about frying the seeds - I shall now try it.

• Like 1

A rather non-sensical Post surely?

I used to live in a predominantly Muslim area of Bangkok - so we often had cows wandering the street; I was never tempted to pop out and harvest a steak myself however, Villa is much more convenient.

Patrick

I used to live in a predominantly Muslim area of Bangkok - so we often had cows wandering the street; I was never tempted to pop out and harvest a steak myself however, Villa is much more convenient.

Patrick

Well there you see the difference between people that live in Bangkok and people that live out in the sticks. We often stroll around taking stuff out of the hedges, we occasionally take lotus seed heads and Pak Bung also. Why is that nonsensical? My wife snorted into her rice when I told her that people actually buy stuff like this. Never mind, Our next Villa is 200Km away.

Cooked - this is an urban-rural thing with you, by the sounds of it. Be nice if you, instead, asked the missus the ways she uses the seeds, as there are people on TV who are interested. And then pass on the info - we would love that.

PS: I live on the fringe of suburbia. Two minutes on the bike and I'm among market gardens and small farms. So I'm not defending Bkk (where I wouldn't pick and eat the seeds, anyway).

Cooked - this is an urban-rural thing with you, by the sounds of it. Be nice if you, instead, asked the missus the ways she uses the seeds, as there are people on TV who are interested. And then pass on the info - we would love that.

PS: I live on the fringe of suburbia. Two minutes on the bike and I'm among market gardens and small farms. So I'm not defending Bkk (where I wouldn't pick and eat the seeds, anyway).

Ok. I think you will find that most of these swamp growing consumables need human, cow or buffalo poo to grow, (water chestnut, pak bung, lotus) . The wife does various things with the seeds but she always starts with frying, basically treating them like they were nuts. So you can start there or get a curry going.

• Like 1

Patrick

Well there you see the difference between people that live in Bangkok and people that live out in the sticks. We often stroll around taking stuff out of the hedges, we occasionally take lotus seed heads and Pak Bung also. Why is that nonsensical? My wife snorted into her rice when I told her that people actually buy stuff like this. Never mind, Our next Villa is 200Km away.

Hmmm - OK, my obviously misplaced or misunderstood sarcasm aside (sorry - we Brits tend to substitute sarcasm for humour!).

To contribute to the Thread in penance therefore:

One thing I love is Jackfruit seeds - and you will always see them in local Markets, being discarded after the Stallholder peels the flesh from the seed.

Boil in slightly salted water (which also removes any flesh still clinging to the seed), allow to cool and then fry slowly with salt etc. to taste - I prefer frying in butter but that's just me, I'm sure vegetable oil would work just as well.

Great with a late afternoon Beer or Whisky / Soda.

Patrick

• Like 1

Patrick

Hmmm - OK, my obviously misplaced or misunderstood sarcasm aside (sorry - we Brits tend to substitute sarcasm for humour!).

To contribute to the Thread in penance therefore:

One thing I love is Jackfruit seeds - and you will always see them in local Markets, being discarded after the Stallholder peels the flesh from the seed.

Boil in slightly salted water (which also removes any flesh still clinging to the seed), allow to cool and then fry slowly with salt etc. to taste - I prefer frying in butter but that's just me, I'm sure vegetable oil would work just as well.

Great with a late afternoon Beer or Whisky / Soda.

Patrick

Now that IS interesting, we have jackfruit and I dislike it, but I'll give that a try.

Thanks OP.

I didn't know you could fry them. I'll set the little missus to it tomorrow. I've always eaten them green.

They will be a nice addition to the fried "Tua Pak Ahhhh".

I can't buy them. Villa supermarket is 400km away.

• Like 1

well i for one am glad of the thread; i had eaten the seeds when i bought a bunch of pods when in pethaburi with sis in law; however we had too many and its a lot of work to break apart and pick them out and peel the green part off... doesn anyone know if all species are edible and if its only the lotus seed pods (the botanical gardens here is always looking for interesting new things to try and i am their thai connection in some of the more exoteric edible green things, thru my husband. )...

curious also, do they have to be dry to fry them or are they fressh and fried?

Thanks OP.

I didn't know you could fry them. I'll set the little missus to it tomorrow. I've always eaten them green.

They will be a nice addition to the fried "Tua Pak Ahhhh".

I can't buy them. Villa supermarket is 400km away.

I knew your avatar reminded me of something. :)

well i for one am glad of the thread; i had eaten the seeds when i bought a bunch of pods when in pethaburi with sis in law; however we had too many and its a lot of work to break apart and pick them out and peel the green part off... doesn anyone know if all species are edible and if its only the lotus seed pods (the botanical gardens here is always looking for interesting new things to try and i am their thai connection in some of the more exoteric edible green things, thru my husband. )...

curious also, do they have to be dry to fry them or are they fressh and fried?

I think my wife boils them to get the flesh off. When I said fry, it's more of a roasting really, very little oil. Same as nuts.

The Thai Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) has a name indicating that it bears nuts, but according to Wikipedia most of the plant can be eaten, this time stir fried. as can the American Lotus, Nelumbo lutea. There are many aquatic plants called lotus that probably aren't edible.

• 7 months later...