Foreign (Lao, Burmese and Cambodian) workers.

Basil Fawlty

Firstly, being my first posting I do apologize if this is in the wrong section, but would one of the moderators please re-direct?

My Thai wife wants to employ two foreign workers (preferably a couple) to work on her land. The work would include some housework and general work on the land.

We have a modern en-suite bedroom, with fridge and television for their use, as well as their own Thai style kitchen (including a washing machine) . My wife is prepared to provide food, (rice, meat and vegetables). There is also a motorcycle available for their use.

The question that is causing some argument is what salary to offer for a six day week. Obviously we are aware of the Thai mandatory salaries, which we believe for Rayong, where we are located, is 264 Baht per day (can anyone verify that?). I was given to understand that deductions could be made for accommodation provided - true or not?

Bearing in mind that food and accommodation are being provided, what in members opinions would be a sensible salary to offer?

I am well aware of the old saying "Pay peanuts and get monkeys", and am not after 'slave labour', but do not want to set any precedent which could 'rock the boat' for other employers of foreign labour.

Any sensible and practical advice would be very much appreciated.

• Like 1

Pay them what your wife suggests plus 20%.

Edit that.

Pay them what your wife suggests, but tell them they can have a bonus at the end of each month if nothing untoward happens and if they do a good job. Make the bonus a sliding one, from 5 - 20 %.

Edited by Seastallion

Do them a favour as well and sort out their work permits, so that they can ride around on that motor bike and not get arrested as illegal immigrants.

The labour office will tell you how to get them these permits, very easy for those from immediate neighbouring countries.

Minimum wage is 300 a day.

From what I understand minimum salaries in Changwat Rayong are officially listed at 264 Baht per day. From what I have gleamed on the internet, there are regional variations in salary. However, I am always willing to learn from those that are more knowledgable. All information is most welcome, so thanks Trembly.

As far as I know, in Eastern Thailand 300 a day is the going rate.

You should be able to check this out with you local Labour department. It's important though, that you get them the right work documents, including a WP. Given you are in Eastern Thailand, then there are more Cambodians around in this area.

• Like 1

Minimum wage is 300 a day.

Just because it is the minimum wage does not mean it is the right living wage, Its a minimum not a bench mark. They are on more than 300bart a day now

I was responding specifically to the matter of mandatory minimum wage.

Make them stay/work legal, 7 days per week - so no motorbike necessary (if there is an accident you would have to "help"...), they stay around your property all the time = less chance for any unwanted surprises and also keeps thieves away, no visitors allowed.

Pay each of them 9000฿ per month, charge for food and shelter 2000฿ each, basic food, and no aircon...

After 1 year holydays for visit back home with a nice bonus (1 month pay, if very satisfied more) and the offer to repeat for another year.

Have a Thai neighbour with a big resort employ a Burmese couple on these therms for over 7 years now, they are hard working, honest people, they must love their job, bec they never go home. The man does the garden(s), the lady laundry/cleaning. They are also provided with all the recycle rubbish in our soi, helps them and keep the rubbish collectors away...

• Like 1

Make them stay/work legal, 7 days per week - so no motorbike necessary (if there is an accident you would have to "help"...), they stay around your property all the time = less chance for any unwanted surprises and also keeps thieves away, no visitors allowed.

Pay each of them 9000฿ per month, charge for food and shelter 2000฿ each, basic food, and no aircon...

After 1 year holydays for visit back home with a nice bonus (1 month pay, if very satisfied more) and the offer to repeat for another year.

Have a Thai neighbour with a big resort employ a Burmese couple on these therms for over 7 years now, they are hard working, honest people, they must love their job, bec they never go home. The man does the garden(s), the lady laundry/cleaning. They are also provided with all the recycle rubbish in our soi, helps them and keep the rubbish collectors away...

True about riding motorcycles - remember citizens of all three countries are used to driving on the right, whereas in Thailand we drive on the correct side of the road, the left. I can imagine this alone may account for quite a few accidents.