Concern about salary in Thailand

Tayida

As i told i found that job.Is a good job,fill with good people.I wondering about the fact that,maybe.sometimes,i have the necessity to ask some money in advance from my salary:is that possible in Thailand?There are rules about that or its just up the company to help employers with advanced salary?

It is up to your line manager and how crucial you are to the organisation.

Normally, you'd need to be a full employee for a period to enjoy all of the company's staff benefits. Seeing that you have just joined, and may still be on probation, the odds are stacked against you.

As your company is "filled with good people", why don't you try to borrow from one of them?

Normally, you'd need to be a full employee for a period to enjoy all of the company's staff benefits. Seeing that you have just joined, and may still be on probation, the odds are stacked against you.

As your company is "filled with good people", why don't you try to borrow from one of them?

tx22cb now the problem doesnt exist:i just wonder maybe in the future:if some problem will coming and need to ask advanced salary..only for information

tx22cb now the problem doesnt exist:i just wonder maybe in the future:if some problem will coming and need to ask advanced salary..only for information

In my company, advanced salary is unheard of.

However, as a full-time employee, the company does offer hardship assistance in special circumstances (house flooded, etc).

Are you a full expat with full expat compensation? If so, the company should give a "settling in" loan of about 1 months' salary.

If it is for "normal" cash flow problem, then the company probably won't help much, and you may have to get a cash advance from your credit cards - very expensive though.

It is possible in Thailand - my husband just got an advance on his salary.

He mentioned he was buying a new car and his boss said why not get a salary advance to make a larger cash down payment to reduce the monthly payments.

He's been with this company for less than 3 months and it was no problem, as long as there was enough cash in the advance salary pool at the time.

My husband is Thai and works for a Thai company. So no, it's not unheard of. Just have to ask.

• Like 1

I am sure, as we do from time to time that if an employee needs an advance it can be done. However if you are a new employee, it might not be the best thing to ask.

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 1

Tayida -- you are new to Thailand.

NancyL.i am leaving here already for the past 15 years:i am not so novice of Thailand.I always worked without the problem of asking advanced salary,but you know:kids grows up,little car need to be changed and so and so and so....So i just ask how it works IF one day i will ask for an advanced salary

NancyL.i am leaving here already for the past 15 years:i am not so novice of Thailand.I always worked without the problem of asking advanced salary,but you know:kids grows up,little car need to be changed and so and so and so....So i just ask how it works IF one day i will ask for an advanced salary

I don't think this will be anything related to Thailand, it really will depend on the company that you work for. We have done it on a few occassions, when we have known that someone has needed to do this, due to unforseens - but it is not something we advertise to the staff and is totally discretionary and discreet.

I remember that in Pattaya was the boss himself that every 15th of the month askd if someone needs an advanced salary..........but i never care cause i never thought to ask and need it.

As a company owner here in Pattaya (consulting work with 8 staff) I have only once advanced salary, and that was limited to 50% of salary accrued for that month. I had one Thai asking to be advanced prior to actually starting the job and straight away I terminated the contract and told him he no longer had a job. I wouldn't do it in the west and there would be no chance at all in Thailand.

I remember that in Pattaya was the boss himself that every 15th of the month askd if someone needs an advanced salary..........but i never care cause i never thought to ask and need it.

That is ridiculous to be honest

What is ridiculous?

actually here its quite prevalent and i dont understand why someone would equate managing money with getting an advance. it has nothing to do with money managment and everything to do with making a low salary and therefore inability to save money, and when needing cash in hand it is often better to get an advance then to withraw from your minor savings if u have any... many of us dont use credit cards and pay in cash and need up front, salaries only come in through specific dates and money is needed before the date... the thais here , after working for three months, can ask for up to a certain amount cash advance, as more then a specific amount creates problems for accounting. but obviously they are used to working that way, and their employers here deal with it. loans are loans, with a signed contract, advances are just small amounts like before holidays, or small hardship funds. here a majority of people dont make it to the end of the month and advances help pay off extra bills that arent monthly dues (rent, health, etc).

not sure i understand what maxing out a credit card it? u can only charge on a card for amounts u can actually pay, not imaginary money. (i guess our credit card is equivalent to american debit card, or similar. and frankly i dont know any thais who have credit cards. its all cash)

actually here its quite prevalent and i dont understand why someone would equate managing money with getting an advance. it has nothing to do with money managment and everything to do with making a low salary and therefore inability to save money, and when needing cash in hand it is often better to get an advance then to withraw from your minor savings if u have any... many of us dont use credit cards and pay in cash and need up front, salaries only come in through specific dates and money is needed before the date... the thais here , after working for three months, can ask for up to a certain amount cash advance, as more then a specific amount creates problems for accounting. but obviously they are used to working that way, and their employers here deal with it. loans are loans, with a signed contract, advances are just small amounts like before holidays, or small hardship funds. here a majority of people dont make it to the end of the month and advances help pay off extra bills that arent monthly dues (rent, health, etc).

not sure i understand what maxing out a credit card it? u can only charge on a card for amounts u can actually pay, not imaginary money. (i guess our credit card is equivalent to american debit card, or similar. and frankly i dont know any thais who have credit cards. its all cash)

I don't know many Thais now without at least one credit card, usually more. In general though most employers will advance to existing trusted employees for the reasons mentioned above. I'm not sure how many, aside from signing on bonuses, would do that for someone who had not started or only just started.

maybe thais in the city but from my last visit a month ago, its still seems that a majority of country thais dont have credit cards unless they have regular jobs (not farmers or daily labour) or married/partner with decent salary. even here, my husband has a debit card as he cant seem to understand exactly how our credit cards work (differently then the american kind as ive said before, but still, the idea of intallments. as far as he's concerned, paying in installments is paying someone cash in hand per month, or through the bank, for large items like cars)...

at anyr ate its always interesting to read here as u can see the different layers of society and what they are used to : culturally and socio economically.and notice the snobbery also.

You've been here 15 years, and you don't know what 555 means? Interesting.

• Like 1

You have 1691 messagges here and maybe the same in many others forum spread all around the web:do you know what 999 means?

• Like 1

Our company has 400 over staffs and the rule is no one gets advanced payment on wages.

We do all have a Krungsri bank account and have a Krungsri cc. Cut out date is around the 3rd or 4th each month so if we max our cards around the 15th and pay back on the 30/31 each month, their will be no interest as long you pay back before the cut out date the full amount.

I asked once the CEO why their is no advance policies and he replied by 400 staffs, they will all want to have an advance, so the policy is no advance and we do have 30 expats in our company and the rule is for everyone.

What is ridiculous?

A boss running a business like that. Totally idiotic IMO

You have 1691 messagges here and maybe the same in many others forum spread all around the web:do you know what 999 means?

You little devil, you.

• Like 1