SRT governor sacked

Lite Beer

He ran a train service that allowed a passenger to be raped and killed comes to mind?

And how was he responsible for that gruesome act?

I thought they already caught the guy responsible?

You have never been a CEO...

He is responsible for EVERYTHING that goes on under his management. His sacking is not only due to the rape and the shoddy hiring processes, but also to his non-apologetic behavior AFTER he was challenged by the media. No big organization should have a guy like that in charge.

Oh this is gold, jerry, gold!

Lets hear about your years as CEO of a Fortune 500.

That was after you finished your stint in the SF ?

;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think this wicked crime was a chance to get rid of the guy who has done nothing to improve the train network since i have been here. If took at least 10 deaths at various train crossings here in Hua Hin over the past few years before proper safety measures were put in place.

How many trains derailed last year.. how many went unreported....

The saga of the new high speed rail link to the south which is no doubt being viewed as a chance by all high ranking officals involved as a get rich quick scheme, no doubt causing costings to be inflated and negotiations to break down.

Time to get a young smart guy in charge, maybe educated in Europe who understands how a great rail network can hugely help Thailand and all of its people.

As to the death penalty.. for evil people like this punk on the train... bring it on. This little girls parents will suffer for much longer....

You do understand that the SRT serves the lower economic class in thailand, don't you?

And you do realize that the wealthy and middle class are still going to opt for airtravel, personal vehicle or VIP bus before they take the train?

So who exactly do you see utilizing this new European HSR with the expensive fares beyond the reach of the majority of the Thai population?

Edited by ClutchClark

From the news it appears the killer was employed by the railways. Any safety related incidents, whether it be a train crash or a methed up rail-worker killer rapist is ultimately the responsibility of the man at the top in the normal world. Perhaps the next SRT leader might better install procedures to vet their employees and install safe passenger environments to travel in - but i doubt it.

One would imagine that the rules for hiring are all on the books already. Since the main boss man has gone, I await the naming and shaming of the HR guy and the relative who conspired to do this.

You are correct. There should be robust criteria in place for the evaluation and selection of the outsourced partner company to whom SRT awarded the contract for cleaning etc. That would include knowing and agreeing their recruitment procedures, including checks, and producing detailed statements of work, SLA's and KPI's. The procedures would also cover contract review including staff performance assessments and regular reviews to ensure all procedures and rules were being adhered to.

I write this because I read that SRT had outsourced this and the murderer was employed by the business that got the contract rather than a direct SRT employee.

If that is the case, then the CEO should resign or be fired if none of this was in place. He is responsible as the man in charge.

The HR person and relative appear to have falsified records or hidden information to get the murdered a job. If that is true they should be prosecuted for fraud in a criminal court.

The Purchasing/Procurement people that let and manage the contract should also be audited to make sure the process that are in place were followed and are adequate.

The murderer said that other co-workers took drugs whilst working too. So it looks like very poor supervision and management for starters, which has led to a wicked murder and sexual assault in this case.

guess the post office has experience in the public transport system? blink.png

Yah sure ;-)

Isn't the Thailand Post privatized for a decade or so? Does anyone recall the near-term history of the Post over the last 20 years or so?

Does anyone consider the removal of the old Chairman might have actually been for political motives?

I am not suggesting as much, I am just curious. I can't find much DD on this respected gentleman.

Very short and sweet 3-liner from Prayuth announcing that Prapas has been binned for the sake of good order and appropriateness in the work of the SRT.

Just his pathetic public lies that the killer was not an SRT employee and that nothing like this has ever happened at SRT before were good enough cause to sack him in my opinion.

Other than that Prapas is exceptionally arrogant and proved utterly out of his depth at SRT which is run by mafia gangs of managers and union bosses. He had an easy ride as governor of the MRTA and on doubt stashed a lot away there. Now time for golf.

This is a good time to break up and overhaul the SRT before substantial taxpayer money is invested in double tracking it. If the junta cannot break the mafia gangs rampant there and the unions, it will never be done.

• Like 1

He ran a train service that allowed a passenger to be raped and killed comes to mind?

You have never been a CEO...

He is responsible for EVERYTHING that goes on under his management. His sacking is not only due to the rape and the shoddy hiring processes, but also to his non-apologetic behavior AFTER he was challenged by the media. No big organization should have a guy like that in charge.

That may seem harsh - but you are correct. The world of investors, financial experts, banks, shareholders, taxpayers, the electorate etc will hold the CEO responsible - it's his or her job to manage at the micro as well as macro level.

Many CEO's / Governors / Director Generals do try and cling on after something very bad happens; a few fall on their sword without being pushed.

You can't want the rewards of the top without accepting the responsibility for it. Saying " I don't know, wasn't there, didn't attend, delegated it, didn't have time or let me look into it" just doesn't cut the mustard when you are the top responsible person.

In this case, if the former governor could show that all the procedures to manage and control this were in place and robust, and that this was a maverick incident brought about my the fraudulent actions of a tiny number of people then he deserves some tolerance. If not, then he had to go.

Like the guy at BP claiming the oil leak was his fault. Of course it wasn't but were all the processes, checks and procedures in place to try to prevent it, manage the risk and react if the worst happened?

• Like 1

Something bad happens down the line, the top guy falls on his sword. As it should be.

This wouldn't have happened before the coup. No matter how high you are, if you screw up, you will be held responsible. Well done!

How exactly did the top guy screw up?

He failed to manage and therefore managed to fail. Accountability starts at the top, as it should, and rolls downhill.

So if someone else gets raped next week, this new guy will probably keep his job because he wouldn't have had enough time to stop people from getting raped on trains. But if someone gets raped in six months time, should he lose his job on the basis that he should have been able to prevent any further rapes in that time.

YES

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

Something bad happens down the line, the top guy falls on his sword. As it should be.

This wouldn't have happened before the coup. No matter how high you are, if you screw up, you will be held responsible. Well done!

Has a long history of not doing anything? He is also responsible for what his staff do or not do in the course of their duties. It is called accountability.

Yes, the staffer who gave the contract (negligence or lack of due diligence?) to a contractor should also be called to account, as well as the contractor who employed the staff member whom it is alleged raped and killed the young girl.

And the perpetrator of the crime should get life imprisonment for taking the young girl's life.

Seems simple to me.

• Like 1

By not being a pro-active and efficient LEADER, which is what one can expect from someone in that position of responsibility, for that salary, with those privileges. He could have looked for the flaws and revamped security and recruitment BEFORE a poor kid got raped and killed on one of HIS trains by one of HIS staff. I recall reading he's been in office since the end of 2012. Plenty of time.

If the Governor deserves to be sacked, then why doesn't NCPO explain those reasons? He is not being transferred or placed in a downgraded position. Isn't an explanation for administrative acition part of accountability, especially in this case where a justufucation seems so obvious? When an independent agency operates without any checks and balances, it creates an image of totalitarian authority that does not adhere to democtatic principles, ie., the right to defend against charges and appeal judgement.

So if someone else gets raped next week, this new guy will probably keep his job because he wouldn't have had enough time to stop people from getting raped on trains. But if someone gets raped in six months time, should he lose his job on the basis that he should have been able to prevent any further rapes in that time.

YES

Lost soul you are a simple soul.

• Like 1

How can this guy say he is resigning his job and fleeing from the problem. His got sacked. An ordered resignation is really a termination. And since his mismanagement and lack of control allowed his underlings to bypass security protocal he clearly is unaware of what happens with the SRT. His last orders need to be reviewed as they are not going to stop another employee from raping and killing another innocent passenger. They wont even stop an employee from bringing their own alcohol or drugs on the train. Employees that work together are friends. They will not report this if a friend was seen drinking. The SRT decision is more of an attack on passengers only. Yet never has their been a report of a passenger gettin drunk and raping another passenger.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It doesn't matter whether the SRT boss should be held responsible for this awful crime committed by one of his employees.

The NCPO is sending a clear message to a**holes at all levels of public life: "We're watching you."

So the next time a shoddy bridge collapses, or a fancy resort appears in a national park, the political sleazebags that allowed it to happen are going to be right in the frame.

And after, what, 20 years of governments letting every thug and parasite get away with whatever they wanted to do, that can only be seen as a vast improvement.

And it seems that the Thai people agree.

From the news it appears the killer was employed by the railways. Any safety related incidents, whether it be a train crash or a methed up rail-worker killer rapist is ultimately the responsibility of the man at the top in the normal world. Perhaps the next SRT leader might better install procedures to vet their employees and install safe passenger environments to travel in - but i doubt it.

Well where I'm from he wouldn't be summarily dismissed by the army. There would be a public inquiry. This is how democratic nations deal with this kind of thing. There have been train accidents in the UK and the CEO didn't lose his job after the inquiry. It would be just as ridiculous to blame the CEO for a signals failure as it is to blame this guy for an employee raping and killing this unfortunate girl.

"Well where I'm from he wouldn't be summarily dismissed by the army. There would be a public inquiry.

This is how democratic nations deal with this kind of thing" except that this is not a democratic nation By holding elections it does not show that a nation is democratic.

The fact is that either by an act or omission this tragic event would not have occurred. He (and others) failed in their duty of care to provide a safe place to work, a safe means to travel.

But hey! TiT so reaction is the name of the game.

And as for being dismissed by the army 'where have you been since 22 May'? hibernating. The army is in charge unless you have missed that fact.

The buck stops with him.

Everybody says it but they don't know what it means.

It means that person will take action. That he won't ignore it.

There is no indication this Governor was ignoring it.

He was hired one year previous. If you had any upper management experience then you would understand that the top brass cannot possibly check the screening process of every bedmaker and laundry person within their employ. They have larger responsibilities.

If you had any upper management experience then you would understand that the top brass cannot possibly check the screening process of every bedmaker and laundry person within their employ. They have larger responsibilities. "are you really for real"?

Of course the CEO 'or whatever' cannot personally carry out these tasks. BUT, He delegates the job, after ensuring that the necessary procedures are in place and to ensure that they are disseminated to all employees.

Personally I don't subscribe to the Management by Harakiri theory, except if the screwup can directly be attributed to the guy responsible. Neither do I agree with the American style of political correctness where the public (press) demands such sacrifice.

In the case of this ceo he was something like a year in his position. Not much time on the job to clear out bad apples on all levels. He ought to have had the chance to rectify the situation and get further issues solved.

Removing the top guy over every incident in the company will never get a real trouble shooter and problem solver interested in holding the position (whatever golden parachutes may be promised).

How long will it take the next ceo to get to know the finer ins and outs and the failures of the company?

Edited by RTH10260
  • Like 1

The buck stops with him.

Everybody says it but they don't know what it means.

It means that person will take action. That he won't ignore it.

There is no indication this Governor was ignoring it.

He was hired one year previous. If you had any upper management experience then you would understand that the top brass cannot possibly check the screening process of every bedmaker and laundry person within their employ. They have larger responsibilities.

If you had any upper management experience then you would understand that the top brass cannot possibly check the screening process of every bedmaker and laundry person within their employ. They have larger responsibilities. "are you really for real"?

Of course the CEO 'or whatever' cannot personally carry out these tasks. BUT, He delegates the job, after ensuring that the necessary procedures are in place and to ensure that they are disseminated to all employees.

He started one year ago and from most of the accounts I have read, the SRT has been in crisis for decades so as any good leader would understand is you focus on those issues in the most dire need of attention. Consider a type of "corporate" triage. The SRT has been hemorrhaging large financial losses for eons, the infrastructure is aged and could still result in a derailment with massive casualties. Yet you think he should have known of a possibility that a bedmaker might have been hired with a 6 year old record of drug use.

There is a hiring process. There are rules on the books. The HR Department was aware of these rules. That is why they intentionally deleted the assailants past criminal history at the time of application--because the rules clearly stated no applicant will be hired with a criminal conviction. Why would the CEO of the SRT have any knowledge that the rules were being circumvented in this single hiring instance if no one blew the whistle? And there were people that should have blown the whistle and chose not to. In fact, it has now come to light that the train crew who were drinking with the assailant immediately prior to the attack knew of his intention to assault this child and they were made aware that an assault and murder took place within minutes of it happening--yet they did not blow the whistle.

Exactly what kind of management experience do you have, "or whatever"? Because your lack of understanding the numerous responsibilities the CEO of any large operation must deal with daily suggests your experience is limited.

Organizational change to an institution the size of the SRT does not occur overnight, it does not occur in a single year. It might be expedited now because there is now cooperation where none would have existed before the military Junta and because no one wants to get stuck on the wrong side of the mass of public sentiment following the attack.

Do you take the train? I take the train. I saw employees drinking in the Dining car on various occasions. Its most likely that tens of thousands of travelers have witnessed the same. How many of them blew the whistle to stop it?

Not that alcohol is what caused this attack. This attack was the result of a severely damaged individual and no amount of workplace prevention could have stopped him. Only a jail cell or death can do that.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

He should have been sacked a long time ago, he's absolutely useless.

Well done NCPO.

Chicog, you are usually spot on with your commentary so I wish you would provide your insight for your statement above.

I have read that he was a capable leader. Besides, he only held the position for a year so how could he have been sacked a long time ago?

If the Governor deserves to be sacked, then why doesn't NCPO explain those reasons? He is not being transferred or placed in a downgraded position. Isn't an explanation for administrative acition part of accountability, especially in this case where a justufucation seems so obvious? When an independent agency operates without any checks and balances, it creates an image of totalitarian authority that does not adhere to democtatic principles, ie., the right to defend against charges and appeal judgement.

Maybe "face saving"? Whether it is or not, does not really matter - he is accountable and had to go. Someone has to take ultimate responsibility for a number of SRT failures.

......perhaps - just perhaps, before the rape, he was being watched/fingered for

• punctuality
  • reliability
  • de-railings
  • safety
  • cleanliness: trains and stations
  • 'front-of-house' in general
  • attitude of staff: stations and on-board
  • cleanliness: trains, and stations
  • lack of vision and leadership

telephone and tourism heads to roll next, I wonder?

• Like 1

He should have been sacked a long time ago, he's absolutely useless.

Well done NCPO.

Chicog, you are usually spot on with your commentary so I wish you would provide your insight for your statement above.

I have read that he was a capable leader. Besides, he only held the position for a year so how could he have been sacked a long time ago?

People have short memories. The bloke was an arrogant idiot.

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) will hold a major merit-making ceremony on Saturday, hoping it will help prevent more accidents on its trouble-plagued lines.

It comes after another train jumped the tracks in Bangkok on Friday, taking the SRT's derailment tally to 114 this year.

The ceremony will help restore the morale of staff members following the high number of accidents, SRT governor Prapat Chongsanguan said on Friday.

"Personally, I believe Thailand has survived several bad incidents because of divine protection. The SRT should too," he said, adding that the merit-making is also being held to mark the state-owned rail authority's 117th anniversary.

Responding to suggestions by a number of more superstitious critics that the spate of accidents might be because of damage to a 48-year-old painting at the SRT's headquarters, Mr Prapat said he is looking for a restorer to repair the artwork, but has yet to find one.

The governor made the comments during an inspection of the latest train derailment yesterday.

The Bangkok-bound train, which departed from Butterworth, Malaysia, jumped the tracks about 11.20am while travelling between Bang Sue 2 station and Sam Sen station.

Mr Prapat said the last carriage of the 10-car train left the tracks, damaging about 100 metres of track.

No one was injured.

Officials at the scene said a bolt locking a rail to a sleeper had come loose.

• Like 1

Do you remember he vowed to resign if there was ever another derailment and then got on this train....

State Railway Governor's Train Derailed In Lamphun

(3 December) The safety demonstration of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) of its newly repaired tracks has ended in an embarrassing failure when the train carrying the SRT director derailed en route to Chiang Mai province yesterday.

Prapat Chongsanguan and his entourage were riding on the third carriage of the train, which departed from Bangkok on 1 December as an effort of the SRT to show that their northern route is now operating again after weeks of repair works.
The repair operation along the northern route followed series of train derailment occurring on the route in the past year.
However, the train derailed 100 metres away from a train station in Lamphun. No injuries have been reported, as the train was slowing its speed during its approach to the train station.

And then promptly blamed someone else for it and fired them.

Good riddance I say.

• Like 2