Minimum age for a Thai to start a business.

My Thai/Western daughter would like to start teaching English once she finishes M3.

Just with young KG age children after school or weekends. Make a classroom out of a spare room and open it as an English play center for young children during the time she is available etc.

I'd like her to register it as an official business and help nurture the idea of marketing etc?

Can a Thai register and legally operate their own business (with business bank account and taxes etc.) at age 16.

I'd like her to get used to such things while starting out.

Edited by Deacon Bell

Im not an expert in the matter but believe that 16 is still a minor so can be a shareholder (even majority) but not a director. But would assume a minor could have a job as a general manager.

Which would mean she feels like she runs but you still keep overall control, as you should at this age.

If she does well hand it over officially in a few years.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Im not an expert in the matter but believe that 16 is still a minor so can be a shareholder (even majority) but not a director. But would assume a minor could have a job as a general manager.

Which would mean she feels like she runs but you still keep overall control, as you should at this age.

If she does well hand it over officially in a few years.

Thanks, but nothing to do with me. Only one owner, her. Very little money going through it, a few thousand a week at most. Self-employed pocket money that I'd like her to have listed as her own official business.

Then I can see problems arising due to age. Even if legal as a parent I would reccommend having an option to intervene if needed and things got out hand (eg. Legal issues or debts).

Daughter sole shareholder, Thai adult(mum?) as director and daughter as MD and running all herself is how I would go.

Avoiding foreign director avoids work permit needs and the director would only be needed to sign major documents (such as a big bankloan or tax return which you want to supervise initially)

A minor can own a business from birth. But because of being a minor, there will be restriction.

1. the business will be controlled on behalf of the minor by an adult

2. there are restrictions on working and working times.

Some jobs will not be possible as a minor cannot for instance sign contracts etc. Other restrictions are in Thai labour law as to the age and the kind of jobs one can do. Most important are probably the working times, other restrictions have more to do with safety and tell about dangerous materials and equipment.

• Like 1