distance from neighbours...extension

for real

At our local land office we were told 1.5 to the boundaries adjacent to other properties, but as the adjoining house wall was already 3m away from the fence then we could take ours to 500mm, just enough to walk around.

If I can put this into context of the uk building regulations, the reason for the distance between is spread of fire, so be careful about combustible materials and in particular windows that impede privacy and aug fire spread.

You have to be sensible and respectful of other properties and if its reasonable then like us they will accept a nearer distance.

The Tessabaan in Muange Chiang Mai have specified 2 meters from the boundary wall on the plans for our new build .

However, where the house is already built, people here build single story extensions up to the boundary wall were there are no plans submitted for approval.

Edited by rawhod

I totally agree that reality is a long way from officialdom.

I don't suppose there is a planning enforcement team.

As I said if its not encroaching on neighbours privacy and both sides are happy then the karma will remain.

Thanks guys.

In Bangkok the people next to my wife's house were informed that their extension had to be 1.meter if it had windows and half if it had no windows ffrom the shared wall.

15 years ago.

Still unsure what is legal in Nongprue.Banglamung.

4.Real

Thanks guys.

In Bangkok the people next to my wife's house were informed that their extension had to be 1.meter if it had windows and half if it had no windows ffrom the shared wall.

15 years ago.

Still unsure what is legal in Nongprue.Banglamung.

4.Real

Walls with no openings can be 0.5m to boundary line. Walls with openings (window, edge of balcony and door) must be 2m away, irrespective of distance of neighbour's structure.

Rights of both parties have to be maintained as structures can be torn down and rebuilt.

I am still unsure as to the regulations .

My neighbours have built an open ended extension that reaches the dividing,shared boundary wall at the side of my house.the extension is 2 meters wide.

The shared wall is 1.25 meters high.

This is a 3 meter high structure open at my end and reaching to within half a meter of the shared wall.

They have used the shared wall for support for a large upright, steel beam [3 meters high ] that is supporting the heavy tiled roof of this extension.

The back of this extension is right up to the rear wall of the houses.

They have now put a black, semi transparent,fibre screen over the back of this extension that reaches to the shared wall .

Is this legal?

Thanks all ,in advance, for any response.

4.Rreal

I am still unsure as to the regulations .

My neighbours have built an open ended extension that reaches the dividing,shared boundary wall at the side of my house.the extension is 2 meters wide.

The shared wall is 1.25 meters high.

This is a 3 meter high structure open at my end and reaching to within half a meter of the shared wall.

They have used the shared wall for support for a large upright, steel beam [3 meters high ] that is supporting the heavy tiled roof of this extension.

The back of this extension is right up to the rear wall of the houses.

They have now put a black, semi transparent,fibre screen over the back of this extension that reaches to the shared wall .

Is this legal?

Thanks all ,in advance, for any response.

4.Rreal

It sounds to me that we are now in different territory, what you describe which is seen a lot, is to me what is classes as a temporary structure, its not your typical habitable room, lounge, bedroom with real loadbearing construction.

So it can be taken to the boundary, and it can be removed easily and without detriment to the main structure.

I think we have established between us that its a grey area and rules and regs are not mandatory but recommended.

And you are unlikely to receive an enforcement notice to remove unless the neighbours are.........................farangs!

It is a brick built structure with heavy steel supports and beams and goes the full length of their house.

It is built on the rear wall of the house and has cement cladding at the rear which backs onto a public road..The tiled roof has wooden batons underneath..

I wish to know how close to the shared wall they can build any part of this structure.

As an aside how close to a shared wall can you plant trees and plants?