Amnesty Thailand debunks 'myths' about capital punishment

webfact

Myth: Criminals who receive life sentences serve life sentences.

Over the past 3 years, in the State of California alone, nearly 3,000 "lifers" have been granted parole! In 2013, 29% of lifers who received parole hearings were granted parole (in 2008 it was only 8%). Just one example, John Thomas. 'Began a life sentence at the age of 17 for murder committed during the course of a robbery in Los Angeles. Now, at only 47, he's being released (14 previous parole hearings! ...while supposedly serving a life sentence!!) More famously, Charles Manson is still in prison, but he's had 12 parole hearings! (He reportedly has failed to 'show remorse' and quite a few disciplinary incidents on his prison record.) Bruce Davis, one of Manson's associates, serving life for two murders, actually received a thumbs up from the parole board at his 28th parole hearing last March (!), but the governor overturned their decision. Much of this as the result of judicial orders stemming from prison overcrowding. In CA, 80% of life sentences are for murder. (The rest for raping & kidnapping.)

JUST CALIFORNIA!!

So don't preach to me about a life sentence as an alternative to capital punishment!

Edited by hawker9000

I did jury service on a serious crime in HK.

When we retired, the opening comment from one of my fellow jurors was "he must be guilty other wise they would not have arrested him."

It took 3 days for her to see the holes in the accusations and the lack of evidence.

It's too easy for a wrongful conviction to occur.

There is almost always doubt, in one form or another.

The death penalty is barbaric and ineffective.

I did jury service on a serious crime in HK.

When we retired, the opening comment from one of my fellow jurors was "he must be guilty other wise they would not have arrested him."

It took 3 days for her to see the holes in the accusations and the lack of evidence.

It's too easy for a wrongful conviction to occur.

There is almost always doubt, in one form or another.

The death penalty is barbaric and ineffective.

An "opening comment" (before any deliberation), from one (only one) of your fellow jurors. Why the whining? 'Sounds like the jury system worked. Not only did your "hard case" eventually see the light, but one infers that the rest of your fellow jurors would've voted for acquittal in the first place. That's WHY the jury system is in place! Duh!!

The death penalty is common sense and 100% effective (at preventing any further murders by the same monster) ... certainly more effective than "life" sentences that aren't really life sentences and return murderers to the streets.

Edited by hawker9000