Police chiefs order renewed crackdown to solve Pattaya’s worsening traffic

Rimmer

Police chiefs order renewed crackdown to solve Pattaya’s worsening traffic

n2traffic-2.jpg

PATTAYA:--During a June 26 meeting with all of Region 2’s local police commanders, Pol. Gen. Wuthi Liptapanlop ordered a renewed crackdown to solve Pattaya’s worsening traffic by arresting bus drivers parking in restricted areas and freeing up traffic lanes.

Pol. Gen. Wuthi also was critical of Pattaya’s many festivals, saying they close down traffic lanes and cause paralyzing traffic.

Wuthi told Pattaya Police Chief Pol. Col. Supathee Bungkhrong and Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome that the city’s many festivals and parades see vendor booths installed on sidewalks, forcing tourists to walk on the road, or in traffic lanes themselves, causing horrific congestion.

Itthiphol specifically was asked to curb such practices to relieve traffic jams that, even on non-festival weekends, can make commuting even half the length of Beach or Second roads a 30-minute affair. - See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/police-chiefs-order-renewed-crackdown-to-solve-pattaya-s-worsening-traffic-39355#sthash.k3VoJx66.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2014-07-11 footer_n.gif

It is not just festivals, action needs to be taken against the vendor, shops and restaurants that have permanently taken over the side walk that cause pedestrians to walk in the road.

Not forgetting the restaurant in Jomtien near Soi 5 which seems to be well attended during the day by the BiB as if they own it.

How about enforcing sticking to the proper lane - the way the BiB occasionally (weekends?) do it with orange plastic pilons on Sukhumvit Rd. going South, for the turn-off into Pattaya Klang? A good number of such turn-off places now causing congestions could be turned into the trouble-free sort, if drivers were prevented from using the straight-ahead lanes to overtake the turn-off lane and finally muscle in at the front... In many places in Bangkok, there are actual curbs between the lanes - choose one and that's it, and it works!

Also, there's the baht taxi pest at the bottom of Thepprasit Rd, waiting to take Russians to the night market on weekends - double and triple parked. I could go on and on!

If you do that, how am I to make the right down Sukhumvit to Foodland or Big C from NPW...you don't REALLY expect me to go to the end of the queue do you when I can go straight to the beginning? Such silly farang logic!

The vendors at the festivals are out of control. I stopped going to them after it took me 45 minutes to get from Soi Post Office to Walking Street. And they are selling the same junk you can get on the otherside of the road. Confiscate any and all stalls that set up on the footpath and that is the start. I don't go to a music festival to buy nunchukas and butterfly knives.

Buses should be stopped on sukhumvit and shuttle should bring tourists to thei hotel.

All buses should be forbidden in city center.

I know who will love you for that suggestion as the only obvious shuttle service is run buy the Pattaya Baht Bus Mafia.

Buses should be stopped on sukhumvit and shuttle should bring tourists to thei hotel.

All buses should be forbidden in city center.

I know who will love you for that suggestion as the only obvious shuttle service is run buy the Pattaya Baht Bus Mafia.

Good...kill two birds with one stone; keep the tour busses out of central Pattaya and get some of the baht busses off beach and second road.

the city’s many festivals and parades see vendor booths installed on sidewalks, forcing tourists to walk on the road, or in traffic lanes themselves, causing horrific congestion.

Yea...Let's make Pattaya a mecca...a retreat...for Buddhist meditation...a place of peace, quiet, no vendors, no festivals, no congestion, and no tourists...

Maybe we could call it...Little Hua Hin....

• Like 1

Clear out all the moto-rentals parked all along Beach Road and the adjacent sois up to Second Road, expecially the ones on soi Post Office and Pattayaland 2.

Absolutely the bikes should be removed; the vendors could use picture books of the bikes for customers to select from.

Average duration of a "crackdown" zero minutes.

No strength.

The powers that be think by acknowledging and talking about the problem will address the problem.

I thought the "image" of Pattaya was very important.

No changes there then. Back to normal.

The absolutely biggest thing that should be done is to start ticketing all those people who think they can double park in front of the store they need to do business in and force everyone else to go around them which is bad enough on a 4 lane road, but when they do it on a road like Soi Diana or other small roads it's insane.

• Like 1

I feel that any comment on this thread will be along the line of "Good luck with that" or "I'll believe it when I see it." or variations on those themes along with the voluminous suggestions.

Yes I am with you on this one.

It is particularly bad now as we have a mix of rural people and Bangkokians in town and the 2 styles of driving, both being bad of course, do not mix well. My main issue yesterday was how people will cruise along in the left lane on Sukhumvit at 2-3 kph, looking for a particular shop or a parking option. Causes a mess behind them. I have to stop thinking about this now and get back to happy thoughts! :D

Transform Beach Road in a nice pedestrian promenade with no bus, cars or motorbikes allowed.

It will be a big improvement for touristic image of Pattaya

and all traffic problems on Beach Road will be solved smile.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about enforcing sticking to the proper lane - the way the BiB occasionally (weekends?) do it with orange plastic pilons on Sukhumvit Rd. going South, for the turn-off into Pattaya Klang? A good number of such turn-off places now causing congestions could be turned into the trouble-free sort, if drivers were prevented from using the straight-ahead lanes to overtake the turn-off lane and finally muscle in at the front... In many places in Bangkok, there are actual curbs between the lanes - choose one and that's it, and it works!

Also, there's the baht taxi pest at the bottom of Thepprasit Rd, waiting to take Russians to the night market on weekends - double and triple parked. I could go on and on!

Agree with you about the turn-off points from Sukhumwit Road particularly when turning right from Sukhumwit into Soi Khaow Talo (and doubtless other sois on the same side of the road). Two lanes of traffic trying to get into one narrow lane just slows everybody up!

Double parking also slows down traffic on many roads (e.g. Thepprasit). The narrower sois should be parking on one side of the road only (if at all).

Alan

transam, on 11 Jul 2014 - 21:34, said:
Oziex1, on 11 Jul 2014 - 18:35, said:

I know it's been said but crackdowns, crackdowns, crackdowns. How about just daily enforcement of the rules.

But who would shuffle all that A4 paper if they were out there doing something...?..........coffee1.gif

What Thailand needs, is a crackdown on the crackdowns, Soon to become the hub of crackdowns.

Transform Beach Road in a nice pedestrian promenade with no bus, cars or motorbikes allowed.

I thought they were keeping the closing off beach road as an option only to turn it into an international airport????

The problems are mostly not caused by the traffic as I see it.

All the food vendors /stores, with all the signage for their stalls that have closed off the legally required 3 metres of sidewalk are the problem.

The space inside the shop is theirs, - not outside

No sidewalk + car / m/c parking = most of the soi taken over for the sale of somtam.

Thats the problem.

This is what law enforcement is all about.- if small liberties are taken by the vast majority, then chaos will ensue.

I thought they were keeping the closing off beach road as an option only to turn it into an international airport????

No since the speed bumps were put in place ,that is now on hold

• Like 1