Am I being cheap?

benj005

I'm not going to read all the responses

Bu

But man you guys are harsh!!!!

Sure he might be on the conservative but if you need to be an atm for your gf then it's not respectful from both sides

If that's the sort of relationship you want, then so be it, but other than the teach the gf financial responsible bit, I think he is doing great right thing

If you have picked up a bar girl then stiff shit, but if she is a genuine girl, there won't be as much focus on money as what people are mentioning here

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bu

Sure he might be on the conservative but if you need to be an atm for your gf then it's not respectful from both sides

If that's the sort of relationship you want, then so be it, but other than the teach the gf financial responsible bit, I think he is doing great right thing

If you have picked up a bar girl then stiff shit, but if she is a genuine girl, there won't be as much focus on money as what people are mentioning here

You have to forgive some of those replies, for the only way they would ever have a successful relationship with a thai girl [or perhaps any girl] would be to be the financial provider for 100% of everything.

God help them if the money well ever runs dry.

That was one of the OP major mistakes, of coming here with that story. He was never going to get the response he was looking for.... Classic Flame bait!!!!!

I think the OP is more than putting in his fair share in that relationship if you look at things a little closer, but i see a few Red flags in his OP he should be concerned with.

Edited by Straight8
  • Like 1

Bu

You have to forgive some of those replies, for the only way they would ever have a successful relationship with a thai girl [or perhaps any girl] would be to be the financial provider for 100% of everything.

That was one of the OP major mistakes, of coming here with that story. Flame bait!!!!!

Excuse my generalisations but I'm not 60+ fat, bald and ugly

But If you have to pay pay pay every step of the way, you are essentially paying a hooker or the girl is seeing youfor more then your personality

If it works for you then, good luck to you,

If it doesn't, then you have to look for a good girl,

Ask yourself would you be paying for all of this stuff back home

If the girl is genuine, she will respect you for who you are and not how much you can withdraw from the atm

Just my 2c

• Like 1

Bu

That was one of the OP major mistakes, of coming here with that story. Flame bait!!!!!

Excuse my generalisations but I'm not 60+ fat, bald and ugly

But If you have to pay pay pay every step of the way, you are essentially paying a hooker or the girl is seeing youfor more then your personality

If it works for you then, good luck to you,

If it doesn't, then you have to look for a good girl,

Ask yourself would you be paying for all of this stuff back home

If the girl is genuine, she will respect you for who you are and not how much you can withdraw from the atm

Just my 2c

And I agree, many here wouldn't, but I do!!

Bu

That was one of the OP major mistakes, of coming here with that story. He was never going to get the response he was looking for.... Classic Flame bait!!!!!

I think the OP is more than putting in his fair share in that relationship if you look at things a little closer, but i see a few Red flags in his OP he should be concerned with.

We are talking peanuts in money terms. Of course idiot at home will be an idiot abroad

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Maybe when I hit 60 I'll look at things differently

But if you flash your cash and expect the girl to behave any different whether In thailahd or back home then you have rocks in your head[/quote

That being said, I'd have to admit most of the people who go to Thailand and want to stay have a certain negative common features that I wont go into in this thread

Thai women have such a bad reputation when it comes to money, so I am always on my guard with my girlfriend. I know its not the right thing to do, but its my personality. I also haven't been in a relationship in a long while. I've only had to spend money on myself. smile.png

Thai women as a group are generally frugal when it comes to spending money. The exceptions are Thai women who date farangs.

They often is an expectation if TG has farang bf, no your not been tight stick to your guns, some how some one was over charging to take you two to Korat, forget about it just be alert next time.

I trained first TFG to save and put her hand in her pocket and pay for dinners etc from time to time casue thats how it is in the west.

• Like 2

Others may be critical of your financial situation, Afterall, it's not their money you are dealing with. My suggestion is to follow your own instincts and temper it with caution and prudence.

Posters have no investment in your success of downfall. I would be hesitant following any "advice" they may give.

A number of posts have been removed.

8) Do not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities or to incite useless arguments by avoiding troll activity.

9) Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Expect your girlfriend to tire of your cheap Charlie BS...and look elsewhere for a companion...yes, you are being cheap to a fault...loosen up...quit counting every bath the two of you spend as if your happiness is tied to the baht...you should have paid the gas...and bought mama a present...she has lost face...and lost faith in you...either loosen up the purse strings...or expect to be alone soon...

My girlfriend is a very hard worker. She works 40-50 hours a week. Its just that she doesn't make a lot of money.

I forgot to mention that we went to a soccer game last week. Free VIP seats. I didn't pay a dime. Free food/beer and a ride to the game.

Hmm... Maybe I am cheap.

DID all that gratis come from her other boyfriend?

OP, as you are so tight, are you ever able to take a leak?

One suspects there are moths in the OP's wallet that haven't learned to fly yet

attachicon.gifmoth.jpg

So cheap but possibly the off spring of the family who invented copper wire when they fought over their first penny.

3500B for gas to Korat???

Get a bus.

I can get from Khon Kaen to Bkk in my car for 900 Baht.

Any woman that says, "up to you" more than one a year is a money-grabbing ex pro. - dump her before she dumps you.

Does she have a job?

She had to pay her friend to take us. He also slept the night at her mom's house. I thought 3,500 baht was too much as well.

We paid 4,000 baht from Korat to BBK for one trip. You got a better deal actually.

This relationship has a good future.

Just give her the $100 and be done with it.

She must need it or would have not asked... If she was trying to get more say 20k for a sick buffalo then I would be worried.

Sent from my c64

That would be ฿100 dollars.

Hmm, the OP is trying to teach his girlfriend of three weeks, financial responsibility and budgeting, some of us having been trying to teach our wives such things for fifteen years or more and still we're not there yet!

The other striking point about what was written is the OP's complete lack of understanding of Thai culture, you're going to her mums house for the first time, sure you need to buy her a gift.

The part about the car and driver for 3.5k, silly girlfriend for doing that but doubtless she wanted to show an association to farang wealth, the issue there is 90% about "face", the 10% is likely that she wanted you to have a relaxed trip in comfort.

Good luck, you've got a way to go yet,

Its not my first time at her mom's house. In the past I have gotten her a small gift. I had been in America for the past 7 months and my girl said I should have gotten her mom something American. I didn't and she was mad at me. I told her that I will pick something out for our next trip. I plan to remedy the situation.

I'm very big on financial responsibility. I've seen too many people who have spent their way to poverty. I don't want to be in the same boat as they are in.

I give you credit for trying. HOWEVER, as one who also has a thing for financial responsibility and listened to all the "warnings abut thai girls" I too made the mistake.

The remedy is very simple.

Get off the computer tell her to dress nice and take her out to her favorite place for dinner. Buy her some flowers and tell her that you are sorry it is a Farang thing and you are still learning how to be thai.

Be nice to her.

Once that is done and give it a few days then sit down and explain to her why you worry about money.

The other posers are correct in that she wanted to show you off to her friend and family BUT also wanted to make sure that you would have a comfortable trip.

My GF still does that.

I think it is the MOMMY factor in Thai women.

As to budget. Good luck.

My suggestion is to get all the bills sorted out and a rough idea of what you are spending and just at the end of every month give her 50%.

When you go out it is the old story the guy pays. Even in other world the guy pays.

Enjoy but definitey take her out somewhere she wil oike and apologize.

Or else it will be s short time affair.

beleive me when i say we all do the sorry dear a lot until we understand the Thai way.