China expresses continued support for Thailand

webfact

China expresses continued support for Thailand

BANGKOK, 11 July 2014 (NNT) – The Chinese government has affirmed that China would maintain cooperation and support for Thailand regardless of the country’s political situation.

Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs Sihasak Phuangketkeow relayed the statement after attending the 2nd China-Thailand Strategic Dialogue in China during July 11-12, with an aim to strengthen bilateral cooperation.

Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Liu Zhenmin spoke during the meeting that China itself has placed greater importance on reforms during the last 30 years, which are slated to enhance the country’s security and development. He also expressed continued support for Thailand, which is one of the country’s allies in the region, despite a change in the kingdom’s administration.

The meeting focused on the progress of the Joint Action Plan on Thailand-China Strategic Cooperation 2012-2016 as well as the 2+7 cooperation framework with strategic trust as the underlying principle of good neighborliness.

China has also urged Thailand’s support for the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), which is Beijing’s brainchild to steer development along the ancient silk route free from the influence of western-backed lenders such as the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank (ADB).

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-11 footer_n.gif

better start teaching chinese language in the thai school system

Well they have not had much success with English worth a shot. Surly its the Chinese who should be learning Thai anyways.

Hold on, Thailand needs America more than America needs Thailand, that's probably why Thais must learn English, and not Americans learning Thai.

And now we have China in Thailand. Again, Thailand needs China more than China needs Thailand. Hence, some Thais will be learning Chinese (Mandarin). But you won't see Chinese people in China learning Thai ! :)

• Like 1

Well they have not had much success with English worth a shot. Surly its the Chinese who should be learning Thai anyways.

Hold on, Thailand needs America more than America needs Thailand, that's probably why Thais must learn English, and not Americans learning Thai.

And now we have China in Thailand. Again, Thailand needs China more than China needs Thailand. Hence, some Thais will be learning Chinese (Mandarin). But you won't see Chinese people in China learning Thai ! :)

China supporting a tier 3 country on humanistic grounds? China put the boot into the US when USA sprayed Thailand for human abuse policy. China is more than happy for Thailand to come and play with them.

But another report from the Junta, saying we are getting on with business?

And now we have China in Thailand. Again, Thailand needs China more than China needs Thailand. Hence, some Thais will be learning Chinese (Mandarin). But you won't see Chinese people in China learning Thai ! smile.png

English is the world's business language probably more to do with the British Empire starting it than American English but certainly America with it's empire replacing Britain added to the importance.

I imagine it's not an easy process to learn English in Thailand as it is night & day different compared to the Thai language..

as seen in Europe most people there can speak several languages whereas in North America it is usually 1 language but maybe Mexican should be taught in the schools there too..

Most Thai I know want to learn English, probably economic in many cases but also to communicate with farang,western songs,movies etc.

Chinese language ( Mandarin ) should be taught in Thai schools also...also should be taught in Western schools as China will be the economic leader in 5-10 years.

Then it might be the Americans having to play catchup learning Mandarin & know what it's like for Thai to experience learning English.

Edited by iphad

China has also urged Thailand’s support for the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank

Governments do not adhere to political ideologies, they simply use them when and where profitable.

As highlighted this is not about who is right and wrong. It is not about democracy or coups. It is about money and agenda.

China use the handle of "reform" for their agenda. The west use the handle of "democracy" for theirs and the whole time Thailand is just a pawn on the chess board of global politics. This political tug of war is fascinating as neither can or will state their true intentions.

I see the Americans narrative has changed some what as well once they realized China was circling like a vulture. The frustration of not being able to state their true intentions translates as a confused double flip by America when Ambassador Kenney said "the United States and its close ally Thailand remain strong" This comment is in stark contrast to John Kerry on the 22nd of May. "This act (the coup) will have negative implications for the U.S.-Thai relationship"

22nd of May - No reaction from China. America's stance - "This act (the coup) will have negative implications for the U.S.-Thai relationship"

Reaction from China in May, June and July stating they support the reform and will encourage support of THIER investment banks.

11th of July. After reaction from China. America's stance - "the United States and its close ally Thailand remain strong"

About Democracy??? Nahhhhhh.

Thailand needs support and if the west need democracy to give their support Thailand will do so.( interim government to be formed no later than September)

And now we have China in Thailand. Again, Thailand needs China more than China needs Thailand. Hence, some Thais will be learning Chinese (Mandarin). But you won't see Chinese people in China learning Thai ! smile.png

English is the world's business language probably more to do with the British Empire starting it than American English but certainly America with it's empire replacing Britain added to the importance.

I imagine it's not an easy process to learn English in Thailand as it is night & day different compared to the Thai language..

as seen in Europe most people there can speak several languages whereas in North America it is usually 1 language but maybe Mexican should be taught in the schools there too..

Most Thai I know want to learn English, probably economic in many cases but also to communicate with farang,western songs,movies etc.

Chinese language ( Mandarin ) should be taught in Thai schools also...also should be taught in Western schools as China will be the economic leader in 5-10 years.

Then it might be the Americans having to play catchup learning Mandarin & know what it's like for Thai to experience learning English.

Teaching Mandarin in Western schools ? :)

I really do think, when they try to teach a foreign language (English) to people in Thailand, or Mexico, or China, well, most of the locals will learn it. But, when you start teaching a foreign language to people back home in England, or Australia (probably America as well), well, most people are simply not interested ! Learning a bit of French is actually compulsory in Britain's schools, it's been that way for years, decades, but how many people in England can actually speak a bit of French ? :)

So basically, it's a good idea to try to teach people Mandarin, but I can't really see lot's of people back home being able to speak some of it. Can you imagine a number of teachers from China, turning up in England and Australia, in the state schools, trying to teach them Mandarin ? The kids will probably just laugh at the teacher, and say that they want to know about karate and kung <deleted> instead !

:)

Let's rephrase that... Thailand needs China! America needs Thailand to keep a foot hold in asia!

The US has Philippines, Indonesia, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan on its side, I'm sure their foothold is plenty strong as it is.

Surely Vietnam should be included in the American stable? They are no friends of the aggressive Chinese.

"............but maybe Mexican should be taught in the schools there too."

You may be unaware that aside from indigenous languages there is no Mexican language as such.

Spanish is the most widely spoken language in Central and South America, aside from Brazil where Portuguese is the language. Spanish is taught in large numbers of U.S. schools.

As for Thais learning English, if they want to communicate with their ASEAN partners, and the rest of the world, English will be the most important.

Several ASEAN countries are ahead of Thailand in English proficiency, Burma and Philippines come to mind. Because English is the language of the world, there will be more Chinese learning English than Americans learning Mandarin.

@ ratcatcher

Thxs for correcting me I should have said Spanish................ & I believe it is taught in the US..but I don't know how extensively.

I totally agree Thai need to learn English...I was expressing sympathy that it's a difficult language for Thai to learn easy & there appears to be willingness on their part from what I have observed.

I have no illusion that Americans in general will learn Mandarin...but some will.

China has also urged Thailand’s support for the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank

Governments do not adhere to political ideologies, they simply use them when and where profitable.

As highlighted this is not about who is right and wrong. It is not about democracy or coups. It is about money and agenda.

China use the handle of "reform" for their agenda. The west use the handle of "democracy" for theirs and the whole time Thailand is just a pawn on the chess board of global politics. This political tug of war is fascinating as neither can or will state their true intentions.

I see the Americans narrative has changed some what as well once they realized China was circling like a vulture. The frustration of not being able to state their true intentions translates as a confused double flip by America when Ambassador Kenney said "the United States and its close ally Thailand remain strong" This comment is in stark contrast to John Kerry on the 22nd of May. "This act (the coup) will have negative implications for the U.S.-Thai relationship"

22nd of May - No reaction from China. America's stance - "This act (the coup) will have negative implications for the U.S.-Thai relationship"

Reaction from China in May, June and July stating they support the reform and will encourage support of THIER investment banks.

11th of July. After reaction from China. America's stance - "the United States and its close ally Thailand remain strong"

About Democracy??? Nahhhhhh.

Thailand needs support and if the west need democracy to give their support Thailand will do so.( interim government to be formed no later than September)

Agreed. AND Thailand needs support and if China need reform to give their support Thailand will do so. (reform to be implemented no later than 2015)

Edited by djjamie

Let's rephrase that... Thailand needs China! America needs Thailand to keep a foot hold in asia!

The US has Philippines, Indonesia, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan on its side, I'm sure their foothold is plenty strong as it is.

Yes, but the Americans still want a foothold on the South East Asia mainland bit, and not just some islands off the coast.

And it's also about keeping and expanding their sphere of influence. Washington doesn't want Beijing to expand it's sphere of influence. Hence, Washington doesn't want Thailand to drift towards Beijing !

• Like 1

Surely Vietnam should be included in the American stable? They are no friends of the aggressive Chinese.

But the Ho Chi Minh Appreciation Society in Vietnam is not going to want Washington turning Vietnam into an American army base.

Does Hanoi dislike Beijing more than it dislikes Washington ? It might be the case that Vietnam is even more economically linked to China than Thailand is !

Americans don't speak any foreign languages - hell they just about speak English! (which they've managed to bastardize nicely)

But the Ho Chi Minh Appreciation Society in Vietnam is not going to want Washington turning Vietnam into an American army base.

Does Hanoi dislike Beijing more than it dislikes Washington ? It might be the case that Vietnam is even more economically linked to China than Thailand is !

YES, Vietnam has for the guts of 1000 years periodically fought the Chinese invaders. A famous folk hero Le Loi who was a very effective and early guerrilla warfare fighter and who used to write his name in Chinese characters using honey on the soft bark and leaves of trees near Chinese strongholds (Ants and what not would eat the honey leaving his name ingrained in the tree) in Vietnam in order to instill the fear of a supernatural power, this was of course around 4,5 maybe 600 hundred years ago And the recent destruction of many Chinese owned factories not to mention deaths of Chinese Bosses, managers as a result of China's encroachment on Vietnam's maritime territories (and a bunch of other places as well) should give you a sense of how the Vietnamese feel about the middle kingdom. And lastly when Vietnamese forces invaded Cambodia in 1978 in order to put a halt to the truly demented Khmer Rouge border attacks. It was China who invaded (Yet Again!) in 1979 to support their mate Pol Pot and that most certainly did not go weel for the Chinese. And finally ( I know I've said lastly already ermm.gif ) after spending 7 years in Hanoi I could never get over the Vietnamese's non plussed reaction to Uncle Sam They really don't have strong feelings either which way.

Edited by bkkstooge

To bkkstooge, #24

Yes, some of the Vietnamese don't like China (even though a lot of them have Chinese ancestry, these are people who are basically a load of Chinese living in Vietnam) but Vietnam is a country that is becoming more and more economically linked to China.
The recent destruction of Chinese factories in Vietnam, due to the oil rig incident. Well, there was also property owned by Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singaporean companies that were threatened or attacked. And bizzarely enough, a number of JAPANESE companies were also attacked. Some people do feel, that the violence was a little bit to do with Vietnamese people disliking their country being dominated and influenced by the large foreign-owned factories. Yes, Vietnam is already reliant on China in an economic way.

There was speculation on yahoo news, that Vietnamese exiles in the USA (these groups hate the existing Hanoi government) helped orchestrate and inflame the riots. These Vietnamese exiles (similar to the Cuban exiles in Florida) want to destabilize the present Vietnamese government.

To bkkstooge, #24

Yes, some of the Vietnamese don't like China (even though a lot of them have Chinese ancestry, these are people who are basically a load of Chinese living in Vietnam) but Vietnam is a country that is becoming more and more economically linked to China.

The recent destruction of Chinese factories in Vietnam, due to the oil rig incident. Well, there was also property owned by Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singaporean companies that were threatened or attacked. And bizzarely enough, a number of JAPANESE companies were also attacked. Some people do feel, that the violence was a little bit to do with Vietnamese people disliking their country being dominated and influenced by the large foreign-owned factories. Yes, Vietnam is already reliant on China in an economic way.

There was speculation on yahoo news, that Vietnamese exiles in the USA (these groups hate the existing Hanoi government) helped orchestrate and inflame the riots. These Vietnamese exiles (similar to the Cuban exiles in Florida) want to destabilize the present Vietnamese government.

Hello Tonbridge

We're pretty much on the same chapter if not the same page here mate so I really don't want to inflame you or anyone else here. You're right to an extent that the Vietnamese are just Chinese living in Vietnam although you could use the same comparison and say that the English are just French living in England. They don't really dislike foreigners perse including the Chinese but for obvious reasons they have a strong distrust of large foreign corporations and most certainly foreign Governments. I worked for the Japanese Canon company at if memory serves 3 of their locations around Hanoi and the VN workers where to say the least militant (In much the same way Unions, shop stewards, closed shops etc.. were in the U.K in the 70s) always confronting Management, a few strikes unwillingness to go along with "motivational after working hours sessions" which from what I could tell was nothing more that shouting out the name of Canon's CEO and the name of the company then punching the air, can't say I blamed them for that. The VN community in the states well their heading towards 3rd even 4th generations now and the North Vietnamese really couldn't care less about them and as for destabilizing the Govt in Hanoi NAARRR sorry Tonbridge not buying that one. Which brings me to America and again the most surprising thing about the North VN people is they are NOT full of animosity towards Americans older generations and younger likewise, and I for one would think it a very very cool thing if The States and Vietnam could put the past behind them and create bilateral trade agreements and yes even ties between the 2 militaries after all the North Vietnamese soldiers are regarded in high esteem even by more than a few Viet Vets in America. thumbsup.gif

Edited by bkkstooge
  • Like 1

The Chinese are bound to support Thailand, because most of the Thai Business owners are of Chinese decendants, and China as always will take care of its business interests first and formost.

FYO Chinese IS being taught in some Thai schools along side English