Increasing Power Output On An Auto Jrd

I know everyone tells me to steer clear of the JRD's due to quality but

A ) I like the styling

B ) I am a big fella and the JRD is physically the largest scooter I have sat on, a nuovo etc is way smaller and a mio is a joke

C ) The wider tyres make for a smoother ride

It really is just for pootling round to the bar as I have a CBR for longer journeys etc.. The clincher is I know a guy selling one at a really low low price (no one seems to want them) but I borrowed it fopr a while and it struggles up my super steep hill with my 100 kilo person.. Add a pillion and it really struggles (the JRD's dont seem to downchange under load well)..

If I could get a 10% power boost out of it I would buy it, but I cant see it being the kind of bike with tuned parts etc.

Any suggestions on what a good mechanic could do to give increased power output or is it a lost cause ??

I know everyone tells me to steer clear of the JRD's due to quality but

A ) I like the styling

B ) I am a big fella and the JRD is physically the largest scooter I have sat on, a nuovo etc is way smaller and a mio is a joke

C ) The wider tyres make for a smoother ride

It really is just for pootling round to the bar as I have a CBR for longer journeys etc.. The clincher is I know a guy selling one at a really low low price (no one seems to want them) but I borrowed it fopr a while and it struggles up my super steep hill with my 100 kilo person.. Add a pillion and it really struggles (the JRD's dont seem to downchange under load well)..

If I could get a 10% power boost out of it I would buy it, but I cant see it being the kind of bike with tuned parts etc.

Any suggestions on what a good mechanic could do to give increased power output or is it a lost cause ??

Change pipe carb hotter plug free flowing air filter or you could try removing any excess weight from you or the bike :o any thing that is not really needed take it of. May be change sprockets to give you more bottom end power but you would lose a bit up top.

Aftermarket pipes for a JRD ??

Also does JRD have a sproken and chain setup ?? I thought it waqs direct drive to the rear wheel / autobox ?? Certainly it has the large gearbox part (my assumption) mated to the rear wheel.

When I was a lad I was the local go to guy for port jobs and head skimming / gas flow etc.. Could get 50cc bikes whizzing along (and blowing up) faster than these 125's..

Don't buy a JRD. I bought a 125 Surf (aka Wave clone) for the wife 2 years ago. Anything rubber on it has rotted away (all the lines around the engine excluding fuel pipes), fuel economy is awful, seat has cracked, piston ring has worn away and needs replacing (need to replace/clean the spark plug every time it gets clogged up with oil), fibreglass/plastic body panels are of very low quality, plastic fittings such as indicators/speedo housing, etc are of very poor quality, build quality/quality control is low, front brake caliper is loose (dealer says all JRDs are liek this so it must be ok?). When new it was 30% cheaper than an equiv spec Honda, but now I know if I wanted to make that kind of saving I would have been better buying a 2nd hand Honda!

Almost everyone buys Honda in Thailand, and I know why. Also fuel economy with Honda Waves, etc is very good. Personally I prefer Yamahas. Best stick with mainstream Japanese brands;quality/build/economy is assured.

Well I havent bought it (yet) but the only reason is the power output..

I see lots of them around and lets face it none of these bikes last more than a couple of years.. I am simply to large (6 3 going on 6 4) for most of these dinky scooters..

The clincher is he cant sell it and its about 1/2 price while being 6 months old and still on a red plate with under 2k kms..

I didn't think there was a red plate for bikes. When I bought my CBR last year it came with no plate and I received the number plate after about 6 weeks. I have recently bought a new Mitsu Lancer and that had a red plate.

My advice would be to go for a Japanese scooter as the waves last for ever. A friend of mine bought a four year old wave for 20K and is now selling it to a dealer for 16K 6 months later. Why not buy a bike with gears like a CBR? You could have mine for 50K ONO.

Already have a CBR400 and a jeep and a Cheer..

Just like to have a runabout for the shop and the local bar.. The CBR is island tours or playing about and the jeep is for when you need a car.

The cheer is old and as theres me and the GF sometimes not outside when I want a bike. Plus as I said its big and half price.

Still dont need it really.. Have passed on it so far..

• 1 month later...