Will we get a new visa?

Hello,

Me and my girlfriend came to thailand on 22 march 2014. Since then, we made 3 visarun. The first was at myanmar, the second and the third were in sadao. Our visa expires tomorow, and we wanted to do the last visa run at sadao.

Now we heard from the crackdown and are afraid that we wont get a new visa tomorow.

We already booked a flight from krabi to bangkok at the 23 july, the hotel for 6 nights and the flight out of thailand to medan (indonesia).

What are our chances for the new visa for tomorow? What could we do, if they wont let us in again? We have rent a bungalow until the 23 of july in ao nang and let our stuff there tomorow.

Thanks for any replies and sorry for the bad english

Mike

I am not sure you will be able to get another visa exempt entry in Sadao. You can try.

At some borders that turning people away and giving them 7 extensions to leave to the country.

You should of gotten tourist visas before making your trip. Or gotten one instead of the border runs you have done already.

Not sure what Sadao is doing but at many crossing they don't let you leave unless you can get a stamp on re-entry. You could ask the officer when you get stamped out.

If you are using visa run service they should know the latest news for the crossing.

If you did not get stamped back in you would have to go to Penang for a tourist visa.

"they don't let you leave unless you can get a stamp on re-entry"

so if they don't let you leave and your entry expires that day

ur than staying in Thailand on overstay and they can just arrest you the next day??

why not let you leave ( like at Sadao ) and than when you come back they say no...

at least ur in a country you can stay without being fined for overstay.

weird

"they don't let you leave unless you can get a stamp on re-entry"

so if they don't let you leave and your entry expires that day

ur than staying in Thailand on overstay and they can just arrest you the next day??

why not let you leave ( like at Sadao ) and than when you come back they say no...

at least ur in a country you can stay without being fined for overstay.

weird

It's not weird if you explain that you intend to turn around and come back into Thailand. For those with luggage left at a hotel or their things in a condo, it would be more than weird if they were allowed to leave, came back to Thai immigrations and were told NO.

As UbonJoe said, at some borders they could get a 7 day extension to put their affairs in order in Thailand, or if not they would probably be able to get a 7 day extension at an Immigration office ... Actually when they apply for an extension it would be refused and they would be allowed 7 days to clear out.

Certainly better than to have your things, friends, family in Thailand when you are refused entry.

So we have been at the border in sadao today. When we stamped out, the office told us we should sleep one night in malaysia and come back tomorow. Then we would get the new visa.

We tried it anyway today. But we didnt get the visa. We have been told to go to penang to get a 60 days tourist visa.

So here we are in Alor Setar now. Tomorrow we will go to penang.

Does anyone know, if the embassy is opend this monday?

UPDATE - The OP of this Topic Thread is my neighbor... A young German man and his German Girlfriend.

They went to the Malaysian Border on a Border Run bus from Ao Nang. They were refused reentry and told to go to Penang to get a tourist visa. They are staying the night in the Malaysian border town of Alor Setar. They just called me and related that others were there also(not sure of what hotel or guest house).

He also stated that ALL on the Border Run were told that they had to spend the night in Malaysia ... and that those who were told that would be allowed to reenter should return tomorrow morning.

The couple will go to Penang tomorrow morning and wait until the Thai Consulate Office is open - maybe Monday (not likely due to Thai holiday) or Tuesday. Because of the nature of their situation I believe they will get a Tourist Visa issued. The reason I believe this is that they have airline tickets already booked to exit Thailand on June 29. They have a listing of the many places they have visited. etc. And heaven forbid their only infraction was they DID WHAT WAS ALLOWED AT THE TIME... border runs - given extensions, etc.

Michael - please correct me if I am wrong in what I posted above .... Also - you did say you have to pay 3 Euros for a beer in Alor Setar... Wow! I hope the room rental was reasonable...

Edited by JDGRUEN

So we have been at the border in sadao today. When we stamped out, the office told us we should sleep one night in malaysia and come back tomorow. Then we would get the new visa.

We tried it anyway today. But we didnt get the visa. We have been told to go to penang to get a 60 days tourist visa.

You should try again at the border tomorrow, as instructed by the first officer. It may be enough for them see exit and re-entry spaced by one day, to not be considered back-to-back. Thailand is all about the looks, you know.

I would bring the printout of a ticket reservation to fly out and the most cash possible to show.

Note, this way you would get a "visa exempt" entry, not a "new visa".

I guess these days Malaysia Immigration got very used to cancel their own exit stamps and records... Personally I've found them to be very friendly and efficient.

Edited by paz

You should try again at the border tomorrow, as instructed by the first officer. It may be enough for them see exit and entry spaced by one day, to not be considered back-to-back.

I would bring the printout of a ticket reservation to fly out and the most cash possible to show.

Note, this way you would get a "visa exempt" entry, not a "new visa".

I guess these days Malaysia Immigration got very used to cancelling their own exit stamps and records...

I hope you are right Paz ... your suggestion would save them a lot of grief...

Michael - please correct me if I am wrong in what I posted above .... Also - you did say you have to pay 3 Euros for a beer in Alor Setar... Wow! I hope the room rental was reasonable...

Joe, everything is correct, except that we have a flightnout ticket for the 29 july. Thanks for your help. And yes the beer is very expensive here and didnt really taste that good :(

Joe, everything is correct, except that we have a flightnout ticket for the 29 july. Thanks for your help. And yes the beer is very expensive here and didnt really taste that good sad.png

The June - July thing was a typo ... sorry for that... as has been suggested you might try another visit to the border checkpoint tomorrow morning before heading off to Penang.

Edited by JDGRUEN

Understand that you're emphatic to your friend, but at worst a couple of days in Malaysia is really no drama at all.

I see that people (myself included) gets too spoiled by the easy life in Thailand and develops a patronizing attitude toward less popular countries.

I think that when one embarks in international travel must be prepared to accept whatever it takes, as the complete journey experience is the ultimate meaning of the trip itself.

We decided to go to the embassy in penang. They clearly said that we have reached the maximum stay. And we had to sign a sheet called "A legal sheet to the Aliens"

So we wont take the risk to try it again tomorow.

Understand that you're emphatic to your friend, but at worst a couple of days in Malaysia is really no drama at all.

I see that people (myself included) gets too spoiled by the easy life in Thailand and develops a patronizing attitude toward less popular countries.

I think that when one embarks in international travel must be prepared to accept whatever it takes, as the complete journey experience is the ultimate meaning of the trip itself.

This particular couple had NO IDEA of the recent enforcement changes. The conversation came up accidently in a request to take care of some new born kittens... And yes - I am sympathetic (not empathetic) to their plight. For one reason all they did in the recent past in the way of border runs to get another 30 days was do WHAT WAS ALLOWED at the time... not knowing that enforcement of rules and regulations would change so suddenly. They had never heard of Thaivisa.com and had no reason to suspect that they would not be allowed to reenter again... After all what had they been doing wrong - their previous activity had been allowed? They were just going to do it one more time and leave Thailand on the 29th. of July with tickets they had booked in June. What is wrong is the COST... the bus/van round trip portion of the fee is lost... They have to stay in a hotel in a Malaysian border town for tonight. And a hotel expense for Sunday night, likely Monday night in Penang, plus cost of meals and transportation. And they may have to fly back - IF they get a Tourist Visa... or they might not and have to go to Kuala Lumpur and figure out where to go next. All the while most of their 'stuff'' is here in Ao Nang... and all this happened because they did what was allowed by Border Checkpoint Immigration agents in prior border runs .... WHO KNEW it would change - and why should they? It was an accident they found out before this border run. The Thai Government has given no general warning to visitors about changes ... One finds out IF they know about Thaivisa,com --- which they did not - and why should they? They have been doing nothing that was not ALLOWED at the time and had no reason to expect such a sudden change would come about. No REAL DRAMA -- you're joking right? ... Just think of the others on their border run bus who were totally blindsided because they did not accidently find out from a neighbor beforehand...

• Like 1

This particular couple had NO IDEA of the recent enforcement changes.

...[lots of third-party apologetic verbiage for who -in essence- came to Asia thinking that everything is cheap and easy, but complain that is not while sipping overpriced beer in a Muslim country]

No REAL DRAMA -- you're joking right? ... Just think of the others on their border run bus who were totally blindsided because they did not accidently find out from a neighbor beforehand...

No I'm not joking. You want drama stories, I'll give some examples, when one come to Thailand, rent a bike, have an accident and limbs or life are lost while the hospital waits for proof of fund to be wired - ooops no insurance. When someone comes to spend an holiday in a five star resort and dies in his own room due to the use unknown pesticides. Or when the entire airplane crash and burns on landing because the first office cannot object to commandant reckless actions. Or when when someone is detained indefinitely and separated form his family because he doesn't have enough money to show, may be having spent it all for a sick child. There are many stories like that, truly deserving our empathy, sympathy, or compassion.

Again, life and travel come without guarantee. Either ones take as it comes and enjoy life as long it last, or be welcome to a bilious existence of money counting and building resentment.

By the way, the announcements on the end of back-to-back border runs came since a month already and is not exclusive to this forum. It was certainly well circulated within foreigners and visa run company. I'm afraid that your friend did not pay attention to some earlier warning.

Does anyone know, if the embassy is opend this monday

According to their holiday schedule they will be open tomorrow the 14th.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/th/organize/17353-%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3-%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3.html

If you had felt adventurous and were aware of it you could of traveled to the consulate in Khota Bharu and applied for the visa today. They are open Sunday to Thursday. But will be closed on Tuesday for a holiday. See:http://www.thaiembassy.org/kotabharu/th/organize/17233-%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3-%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3--Working-Hours-&-H.html

Hmmm the visa exempt issue is getting harder as the days go by. I went to Mae Sai (Northern Thailand) on Monday 7 to engage my second entry of a tourist visa. After crossing into Myanmar and a little shopping around the local market I returned to Thailand. There was no problem as I had a ¨more¨correct type visa.

I know of other expats whom have abused the visa exempt system for over a year so it comes as no surprise that authorities are clamping down. Prior to crossing into Myanmar, and while at the immigration check point a couple of tourists were trying to do the visa exempt run. That is where they cross over and then come straight back. However the immigration officer told them that if they leave Thailand and do not have a ¨proper¨ tourist visa, then they will be denied entry.

Both the tourists were rather perplexed to say the least. The immigration officer was very polite and explained why this was being enforced. He advised them that they could/should return to Chiang Mai and get a 7 day extension from the immigration office (Cost 1900 baht). If they wished to stay longer then he advised them to go to the Vientiane Thai consulate and apply for a tourist visa.

All good advise, which did not necessarily sit to well with the 2 tourists. It appeared to me that they were separate individuals with not a great deal of funds on them.....which may also have hindered their return if the officials asked to see their appropriate funds (20,000 baht as tourist).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing..... but personally I prefer to do my homework/investigation and plan prior to travel. Quite often that makes the trip(s) so much smoother.

So be warned, the next crack down is on overstayers. And it would be wise to steer clear of the ¨firing line¨once it all kicks off.

Gd Luckwai.gif

@CMKiwi

May I ask how many time you used tourist visa before this run? Reason for asking is that I in a few days plan to do the exact same trip to engage my second entry of a tourist visa. But in my case this is the third double tourist visa in a row I plan to use, there is no Visa Exemptions in my case but only Double tourist Visas straight from Vientianne.

Regards

Siamsnus,

mine was exactly the same situation as yours. I am on my third and final double entry tourist visa. There was absolutely no problems at immigration. Luckily Im in my 50`s now so its retirement visa time.... Im not sure what other benefits there are to being in that age bracket not that it matters!

Good luck

• Like 1

...[lots of third-party apologetic verbiage for who -in essence- came to Asia thinking that everything is cheap and easy, but complain that is not while sipping overpriced beer in a Muslim country]

No REAL DRAMA -- you're joking right? ... Just think of the others on their border run bus who were totally blindsided because they did not accidently find out from a neighbor beforehand...

No I'm not joking. You want drama stories, I'll give some examples, when one come to Thailand, rent a bike, have an accident and limbs or life are lost while the hospital waits for proof of fund to be wired - ooops no insurance. When someone comes to spend an holiday in a five star resort and dies in his own room due to the use unknown pesticides. Or when the entire airplane crash and burns on landing because the first office cannot object to commandant reckless actions. Or when when someone is detained indefinitely and separated form his family because he doesn't have enough money to show, may be having spent it all for a sick child. There are many stories like that, truly deserving our empathy, sympathy, or compassion.

Again, life and travel come without guarantee. Either ones take as it comes and enjoy life as long it last, or be welcome to a bilious existence of money counting and building resentment.

By the way, the announcements on the end of back-to-back border runs came since a month already and is not exclusive to this forum. It was certainly well circulated within foreigners and visa run company. I'm afraid that your friend did not pay attention to some earlier warning.

I would call what you wrote a bit melodramatic (actual cases or not). The young couple did not know about impending immigration changes because they are tourists - real tourists. They have a ticket booked in June to leave Thailand on July 29th. They have actually toured over many spots of Thailand ,,, side trips, van trips, motorcycle trips and more. They have not been sitting around chatting with long term border runners and / or expats to pick up on the latest news because they felt no need to - everything they were doing was normal as far as they knew. They have not been in the loop of worrying about it because what they had been doing to get another month was normal and allowed - so why change what they had already learned how to do? And they were coupling the border runs with some of the sight seeing. This is hardly the profile of addicted long stay border runners.

And I am sorry if you might have been involved in one of those horrific melodramatic stories.

Does anyone know, if the embassy is opend this monday

According to their holiday schedule they will be open tomorrow the 14th.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/th/organize/17353-%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3-%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3.html

If you had felt adventurous and were aware of it you could of traveled to the consulate in Khota Bharu and applied for their visa today. They are open Sunday to Thursday. But will be closed on Tuesday for a holiday. See:http://www.thaiembassy.org/kotabharu/th/organize/17233-%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3-%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3--Working-Hours-&-H.html

Thank you Ubonjoe. I have passed this message on to Michael and his girlfriend via the LINE app in case he cannot get onto Thaivisa.com. Last I knew they were traveling by bus this morning. Michael told me last night the Border Immigration agent insisted that he sign a document. And that they were instructed to go to Penang to get a Tourist visa. The resort staff is supposed to be going to the Krabi bus station to pick up the motorcycle Michael rents from the resort and used it to get he and his girlfriend to keep it from being stolen if it sets too long and becomes noticed. Off course they had to charge 400 baht to go get the motorcycle ... what a mess...

Just got a message from Michael - he and g/f are on a bus to Penang

I would call what you wrote a bit melodramatic (actual cases or not). The young couple did not know about impending immigration changes because they are tourists - real tourists. They have a ticket booked in June to leave Thailand on July 29th. They have actually toured over many spots of Thailand ,,, side trips, van trips, motorcycle trips and more. They have not been sitting around chatting with long term border runners and / or expats to pick up on the latest news because they felt no need to - everything they were doing was normal as far as they knew. They have not been in the loop of worrying about it because what they had been doing to get another month was normal and allowed - so why change what they had already learned how to do? And they were coupling the border runs with some of the sight seeing. This is hardly the profile of addicted long stay border runners.

And I am sorry if you might have been involved in one of those horrific melodramatic stories.

Yes, sorry for them but they'll get themselves sorted, they are real tourists.

They did make the mistake of course by entering Thailand visa exempt and not meeting the requirements for that.

That was dumb. Why didn't you listen to that advice by the immigration officer? I can't imagine going all the way to a border only to re-enter Thailand again 5 minutes later. Do what legitimate tourists do, spend a few days in Malaysia, come back and you may not have any problems. It's not that hard.

• Like 1

That's a weird attitude to have and Malaysia is no less nice than Thailand is. It's a multicultural melting pot, most people speak English so language issues are less of an issue than in Thailand (unless you speak and read/write fluent Thai like me), the food is good and it's more modern and nice to have a bit of a change.

Malaysia also attracts more international visitors than Thailand, consistently 2-3 million a year more, so I would hardly call it "less popular".

That was dumb. Why didn't you listen to that advice by the immigration officer? I can't imagine going all the way to a border only to re-enter Thailand again 5 minutes later. Do what legitimate tourists do, spend a few days in Malaysia, come back and you may not have any problems. It's not that hard.

It is much more complicated and it has nothing to do with being dumb. They reached the maximum number of extensions allowed under current interpretations and enforcement of Thai Immigration Law... If you read more of the posts here you will see that the couple had to sign a special document and were directed to go to the Penang Embassy to obtain a Tourist Visa (their first). Their original entry was VOA or exemption (what ever term is correct). They have been doing border runs to get extra thirty day stays ... thinking this it was the proper way to do things. They have been here in Thailand a total of 120 days counting the original 30 days. They were not aware of the new enforcement criteria. (whether new or not - the enforcement of the rules has come down heavily in the past couple of weeks in many places - no such enforcement has been done generally in a very long time).

We are crossing our fingers that everything goes well in Penang and we will see them Monday night or Tuesday sometime. Michael also related that others on the border run bus who were expected a 30 minute turn around were told that they had to stay all night in Malaysia and return to Thailand the next day. (This may not have included those on a Non Imm 'O' or other Non Imm Visa) but included those others seeking extensions. The couple are following what the Border Agent told them to do... they were basically ordered to go to Penang. And by the way many thousands of people have performed short Border Run turn arounds over the years. I just did that at a Thai / Malaysia border checkpoint ... it took about 10 - 15 minutes)... Earlier in the year in Nong Khai I did a Border Run that took a whole hour of time. And these nice folks were not expecting a 5 minute turnaround ...

To edit an error.

Edited by JDGRUEN

another option for 30 day obtions if your from a G7 country

Penang take the ferry over to Lankawi an than from there back to Satun.

Or travel form Penang to Betong ( very easy border) or up to Wang Prachun border outside Satun

Or across to Kota Bharu an cross for 30 days or get a tourist visa

Banana GH in Penang will sort them out or JIms place on Chula

Tourist visa. The resort staff is supposed to be going to the Krabi bus station to pick up the motorcycle Michael rents from the resort and used it to get he and his girlfriend to keep it from being stolen if it sets too long and becomes noticed. Off course they had to charge 400 baht to go get the motorcycle ... what a mess...

OMG, 400 Bt = Eur 9 = USD 12! On top of all the other expenses, now summing USD 250 easily, shocking isn't?

All that because they could not be *rsed in getting a visa earlier during one of the three previous times they left Thailand.

Just got a message from Michael - he and g/f are on a bus to Penang

Relieving. You know, these horrible melodramatic stories are stressful. Hope the kittens are good too.

It is much more complicated and it has nothing to do with being dumb. They reached the maximum number of extensions allowed under current interpretations and enforcement of Thai Immigration Law... If you read more of the posts here you will see that the couple had to sign a special document and were directed to go to the Penang Embassy to obtain a Tourist Visa (their first). Their original entry was VOA or exemption (what ever term is correct). They have been doing border runs to get extra thirty day stays ... thinking this it was the proper way to do things. They have been here in Thailand a total of 120 days counting the original 30 days. They were not aware of the new enforcement criteria. (whether new or not - the enforcement of the rules has come down heavily in the past couple of weeks in many places - no such enforcement has been done generally in a very long time).

We are crossing our fingers that everything goes well in Penang and we will see them Monday night or Tuesday sometime. Michael also related that others on the border run bus who were expected a 30 minute turn around were told that they had to stay all night in Malaysia and return to Thailand the next day. (This may not have included those on a Non Imm 'O' or other Non Imm Visa) but included those others seeking extensions. The couple are following what the Border Agent told them to do... they were basically ordered to go to Penang. And by the way many thousands of people have performed short Border Run turn arounds over the years. I just did that at a Thai / Malaysia border checkpoint ... it took about 10 - 15 minutes)... Earlier in the year in Nong Khai I did a Border Run that took a whole hour of time. And these nice folks were not expecting a 5 minute turnaround ...

To edit an error.

Maybe 'dumb' was a bit strong but why would your young friends, after clearly being told by the Immigration officer that they should stay in Malaysia for a night a come back tomorrow, decide to ignore that? They ignored him, tried the walk-around and were subsequently denied and dispatched to Penang for their ignorance. The signing of the 'special document' is already a common enough affair based on evidence in other posts. It is just an acknowledgement that they are aware of the laws and obviates the 'not knowing about the rules' excuse if/when they get nabbed the next time.

After less than 4 months in Thailand, they were already thumbing their noses at authority. Why do we do that here?

• Like 1