Who Are The Most Patriotic Nations

snoophound

I'm Scottish, although my passport says I'm British - I think you'll find many people who, like me, don't really consider themselves British.

My passport also says British but I consider myself English first and foremost. :o

I'm 'Welsh' and I love your breasts!

Good on ya. Here they are again. :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a survey carried out in Chicago and it may be leaning slightly patriotically in the sense that it wanted to show the US as being the most patriotic of all?

My experience of the US is that it is almost fanatically patriotic in large areas. I haven't been there since the tragedy of Sept 11 but I can imagine it is even more so now. I did have a friend from the UK who was asked to 'GET OUT!' of a church in the US as he wouldn't place his hand over his heart and 'pledge allegiance' at the end of a wedding ceremony. Thats pretty patriotic.

I was working in the Ukraine a couple of years ago and was sat with some US Special Forces guys. Someone walked past with a <deleted> England T-Shirt on and they all went ballistic. Even after I pointed out that it stands for French Connection United Kingdom they still said they would have flattened the kid if it had said <deleted> USA. A small amount of patriotism is good for a nations mental well being, but when it becomes over powering it can obstruct such essentials as freedom of speech, something that one should be patriotic about.

I did have a friend from the UK who was asked to 'GET OUT!' of a church in the US as he wouldn't place his hand over his heart and 'pledge allegiance' at the end of a wedding ceremony.

:o

I hope he made sure everyone in attendance realised how ridiculous that situation was on his way out! I wonder if the bride and groom joined in to further enhance their Big Day?

Also, why do 'Americans' have to say "Hi there. I'm from the USA...." before every statement they make or question they ask?

Edited by CymruAmByth

Also, why do 'Americans' have to say "Hi there. I'm from the USA...." before every statement they make or question they ask?

Because they are usually lost.... and the next question is.......

Excuse me SIR but do you speak English.......(big hopefull smile) .....

and at this point I sometimes say..NO ...Why?.......however saying that I have always found the Yanks to be OK.... :o

I'm Scottish, although my passport says I'm British - I think you'll find many people who, like me, don't really consider themselves British.

Abso-Bloomin-Lutely!

I'm English, not British!

england.gif

If the Jocks, Taffs and Paddies want independence, give it to them...!

Technically its the other way round and the English are the ones who need/should be given Independence...

Following on to the Union of the Crowns in 1603 (locally known as the Junta) Jimmi the sixth of Jockland (mummy- Mary Q of Scots) took over the club of Angrit and became King Jimbo the First so technically (again) Alba is the rulling head boy here and Les Anglais the ..."peons"..albiet with a few privis thrown in to keep them happy......

Just over a 100 years later in 1707 the "nuvo rich" carpetbaggers really got their act together (faux Pax..)with yet another "Act" cried ...the Union of the Parliament :D ...really stuffed everyone well and proper...luvly jubbly if ye can get it.......so...as said if Angrit wants to become an Independent Republic I for one would be veery happy tae support them.......more than ye can say for the fitba.....No...thats fur another day.....But could you handle it?

Got a wee Red PP .....and consider myself European ..First......then.....whits the weather like today... :D

Rinrada. You are good man. You are good. :D:D:D:o

I'm rather surprised by this poll. While about 1/3 of Americans are so delusional they think whatever America does is always right, there is another 1/3 so full of self loathing that thinks America is responsible for every ill, everywhere. I would have thought countries with more homogenous poulations might top that list.

Incredibly true! I used to be in the latter 1/3rd, but am now somewhere in the middle.

... America, a big flag waver, comes in a different category as a country of immigrants.In America it's necessary to constantly reinforce the concept of nation through allegiance to the flag ceremonies etc.

An excellent point.

I did have a friend from the UK who was asked to 'GET OUT!' of a church in the US as he wouldn't place his hand over his heart and 'pledge allegiance' at the end of a wedding ceremony.

:D

Yeah, right :o

Edited by kat

hmmm, I don't remember that scene. Can you remind me?

Obvious Yank - think he might have had a USA shirt w/camera around his neck (start of edinburgh festival). Asked where the loo was, and the main characters followed him in the loo and mugged him. :o

i have nothing against americans,where would we be without their movies,writers etc.

however in my experience it has been best to avoid american gap year students when ive been on my travels.

when i hear them talk i feel like i want to dig myself a bunker & hide in it with a machine gun. :o

Obvious Yank - think he might have had a USA shirt w/camera around his neck (start of edinburgh festival). Asked where the loo was, and the main characters followed him in the loo and mugged him. :o

ah, right. So what - we have the same stereotypes in the U.S. about Europeans/Brits, especially in New York. Ever see the Sabotage video by the Beastie Boys and the stereotypical European tourist.

Trust me, we are not the only ones with stupid weirdos.

My passport also says British but I consider myself English first and foremost. :o

British by birth, English by the grace of God!! :D:D

Kiwis more patriotic than Poms, less than Aussies

1.00pm Wednesday June 28, 2006

New Zealanders are the world's ninth-most patriotic people, according to a survey.

The United States, where Stars and Stripes flags are commonplace in back gardens, politicians regularly play the pariotism card and anti-terrorism legislation is even called the Patriot Act , unsurprisingly topped the poll.

It was closely followed by Venezuela in the survey by the National Opinion Research Centre at the University of Chicago.

Australia came in fifth in the study of 34 democracies. As in the US, where anything perceived as unpatriotic is often labelled "un-American", the name of the country has come to symbolise Australia's supposedly shared values - commentators and politicians talking of "un-Australian" behaviour.

Britain, where national identity is most often associated with the soccer teams of the four home nations, was 11th in the poll. But it could move up the list if Gordon Brown, finance minister and possibly the country's next Prime Minister, has his way with the introduction of a national day.

People in the survey rated how proud they were of their countries in areas such as political influence, economic success, sports and history.

The organisers said ex-colonies and newer nations were more likely to rank high on the list.

New Zealand ranked highly for pride in sporting achievement - second, behind Ireland.

The country also ranked third for pride in the arts and literature, and fourth for pride in our armed forces.

Top 10 rankings:

1. United States

2. Venezuela

3. Ireland

4. South Africa

5. Australia

6. Canada

7. Philippines

8. Austria

9. NEW ZEALAND

10. Chile

Others:

11. Great Britain

12. Israel

18. Japan

19. France

24. Russia

27. Germany (West)

31. Korea

34. Germany (East)

How do you decide how patriotic a nation is? What constitutes a patriotic person?

ah, right. So what - we have the same stereotypes in the U.S. about Europeans/Brits, especially in New York. Ever see the Sabotage video by the Beastie Boys and the stereotypical European tourist.

Trust me, we are not the only ones with stupid weirdos.

True, true...it's just that your stupid weiro's are far louder - and more enteraining - than most other countries stupid weirdo's. Us British make for much quieter and more refined weido's.

Long may it continue, it always brightens up my day.

For gods sake dont bring up trainspotting Brit, all the Scots be crawling out the woodwork quoting Renton and their other famous film ' Braveheart'.

Am I the only one that finds the Scottish nationalistic to the point of nauseating? I don't mind anyone talking about their country but the Scottish just go and on about it.

To all the Scottish a message:

We've all seen Braveheart and Trainspotting, we all know that you are very opressed and that has made you the tough and strong lovable underdogs. We all know Irvine Welsh wrote a couple of goods books and took drugs. We all know you wear man skirts coz you'd such a wild and carefree lot of people. We all know you eat haggis. We all know that you like a drink of whiskey.

Now please ###### off and tell someone else about it. :D

i have nothing against americans,where would we be without their movies,writers etc.

however in my experience it has been best to avoid american gap year students when ive been on my travels.

when i hear them talk i feel like i want to dig myself a bunker & hide in it with a machine gun. :o

their movies are not their movies because made by jewish.

All the yanks I met were nice guys (what I can not tell from my own country), but completly inocent about anything outside US+some brain washed from FoxNews+lack of education...

Yeah, yanks are pretty loud until they learn how to talk in sync with the rest of the world. As an American gap year student, I met the most disarming and refined English weirdo chaps. I credit them with teaching me how to jump TGV trains from Paris to Amsterdam without a ticket, and for driving the owners of the French Guesthouse where we were staying absolutely, fcking raving mad.

Yep, very refined those lads :o Great fun though, bunch of hooligans.

having spent 9 months in new zealand,i agree that it is a great country,indeed a nation to be proud of.

the only thing it seems to lack is a supply of good looking women.

never seen so many ugly ducklings. :o

maybe they need to ship some cuties over from the east coast of australia.

their movies are not their movies because made by jewish.

All the yanks I met were nice guys (what I can not tell from my own country), but completly inocent about anything outside US+some brain washed from FoxNews+lack of education...

oh right, Right ..... ALL their movies are made by "Jewish", and ALL the yanks you've met are nice but much less intelligent than you, and they're ALL brainwashed by Fox News, and lack education ... right :D

We've all seen Braveheart and Trainspotting, we all know that you are very opressed and that has made you the tough and strong lovable underdogs. We all know Irvine Welsh wrote a couple of goods books and took drugs. We all know you wear man skirts coz you'd such a wild and carefree lot of people. We all know you eat haggis. We all know that you like a drink of whiskey.

Now please ###### off and tell someone else about it.

I say, steady on chaps!

:o

Guess what faces I get when I tell I come from Austria.

Ahh Australia....

Yes yes same same but different....

Now I either agree that Austria=Australia or I tell I am from Germany (Austria-Germany, same same but different).

Actually I like to tell that I come from Iran or Russia, because that there are no further questions....

But my wife get very upset if I do that......

I must bite you a little bit....

You have an American passport? There are also other countries in America than USA.....

Actually, it used to be whenever someone asked me where I came from, my reply was always "USA", but since visiting Thailand, I found that most Thai's had a confused look when I said that and asked me where that was. Even replying "United States" brought that same look. Finally when I said "America", they understood. So I now get into the habit of saying I'm from America mainly because it's the only way the average Thai will understand.

Actually, when I took Spanish, I was told that "Mexico" was originally named the Spanish equivalent to "United States of America", but because it's northern neighbor was more powerful, they had to change their name to "United Mexican States". I'm not sure if that's true or not. Anyways, their official name is still "Estados Unidos Mexicanos". So anyone just saying "United States" would technically be being ambiguous.

Never had any problems with Thai people knowing the difference between Austria & Australia, or Not knowing the term United States. May be you guys need to developed some smart Thai friends and I'm not talking about the people in the Bars :o

thats a missunderstanding, my friends know it of course, I don't go in bars. But the usual case is the taxi driver. I would say less than 1 % of the austrian taxi driver mix Taiwan and Thailand.

Not one of my business contacts (well 90 % of them are at least 50 % chinese) ever mixed Austria and Australia...

Yeah, yanks are pretty loud until they learn how to talk in sync with the rest of the world. As an American gap year student, I met the most disarming and refined English weirdo chaps. I credit them with teaching me how to jump TGV trains from Paris to Amsterdam without a ticket, and for driving the owners of the French Guesthouse where we were staying absolutely, fcking raving mad.

Yep, very refined those lads :o Great fun though, bunch of hooligans.

Yep, you are correct.

I have been regularly frequenting The Office on Soi 33 for the 3.5 years I have been here and we have gathered from all nations to cheer on our respective teams at: rugby union, rugby league, cricket etc.

However...with the advent of the World Cup, and the opening England game vs. Paraguay, I happily entered the boozer expecting an evening of the usual light banter only to be surrounded by tattoed, skinheaded, foul-mouthed, chair-stealing, drunken ENGLISH yobbos.

Why does football bring out grown men in football shirts (with accompanying beer gut - do they really think that because it says 'Beckham' on the back of the shirt they are going to be mistaken for him?) that ruin everyone elses night out?

Edited by CymruAmByth

Asians obviously know what and where Australia is. However, we have been confused with Austria by many others for most of our history.

While not wishing to mention any particular countries :o , many Americans have very limited knowledge of geography beyond their borders.

Asians obviously know what and where Australia is. However, we have been confused with Austria by many others for most of our history.

While not wishing to mention any particular countries :o , many Americans have very limited knowledge of geography beyond their borders.

Many Yanks have limited knowledge of geography INSIDE their own borders ..... so what? The same could be said about any area with a geography as vast and varied as the USA. I'd never mistake an Austrian with an Australian though ... one speaks stilted English that is hard to understand ... the other is unintelligible. At least we can understand the Austrians if we try hard! :D