Olympics: Four arrested in Slovenia over Vanessa Mae scam

roamer

Olympics: Four arrested in Slovenia over Vanessa Mae scam

LJUBLJANA: Slovenia's ski association has suspended four officials for manipulating race results to allow famed violinist Vanessa Mae to compete at the Winter Olympics in Sochi in February.

The 35-year-old Mae, racing under the name Vanessa Vanakorn, came last in the Olympic giant slalom on February 18 but made headlines as Thailand's first ever female skier at Olympic Games and lent an added dose of glamour to the sports event.

In a report late Thursday, the ski association (SZS) said it had found evidence that races held in Slovenia earlier this year had been fixed to make sure Vanakorn could travel to Sochi.

The fixing was done at the request of Thai officials, the SZS added.

The four suspects in the scam, who face suspensions of up to four years, included Vlado Makuc, head of alpine skiing at the SZS, the federation also said.

Read More: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/olympics-four-arrested-in/1255010.html

--Channel Newsasia 2014-07-11

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing is the olympic committee was trying to make it easy to have competitors from non-traditional countries. There were so many other competitors from countries with no snow, uganda, brazil, etc. Don't know why she needed she couldn't have found a more legit way to get in.

Oh, and four arrested in Slovenia. How many will be arrested in Thailand??

I know the answer...

Edited by taony
  • Like 2

She's an english citizen with Thai origin by her father.

Just hope she didn't know that her results were manipulated in her back !

Because if she's convicted of being a comparse of this fraud, her name should be stained.

In all cases, the prejudice isn't big because she don't get any awards or medals she could lose !

Yes, it's a pity that there appears to have been skull-duggery used in getting Vanessa Mae to the Olympics.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/alpine-skiing-ski-officials-suspended-rules-breach-vanessa-114057532--ski.html

It explains why she finished a full 50 seconds behind the next last competitor, and it was a miracle she finished at all. While I saw her as a bit of an Eddie the Eagle entry, at least he got there on his own merits, and I believe, largely his own coin. It does nothing for her reputation or that of the Olympics officials concerned. Will there be any consequences I wonder? sad.png

50 seconds behind the winner. Anyone who has ever skied down a World Cup GS course will know how hard it is. Just sheet ice. Beyond the ability of any recreational skier or even entry level instructors.

She did well, but Thailand should probably just forget about snow sports. That also includes trying to climb Everest.

• Like 1

All Thai girls love snow... yet they hate the cold. Can't quite for out of Vanessa played in B flat most of the time, or A major... I think it must have been B flat on your back, judging by her skiiing results. Famous my arse,,, she's now known for fiddling though.

What a disappointment, I admired her for "having a go " and coming last. Seems nothing is truly honest in sport these days.

Go way with you. Eddie the Eagle was top notch for his attempt... and he landed... albeit 40m away from where he started 555+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7MmJIy0bjo&feature=kp

Give him his due... he didn't pay to enter.... mind you, hardly surprising. We don't have 120m drops from mountains in GB, unless you want to jump off the sharp side of Snowdon. giggle.gif

Eddie was honest.. but SH!t...

Edited by UbonRatch

She's an english citizen with Thai origin by her father.

Just hope she didn't know that her results were manipulated in her back !

Because if she's convicted of being a comparse of this fraud, her name should be stained.

In all cases, the prejudice isn't big because she don't get any awards or medals she could lose !

I believe Singaporean to.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What a disappointment, I admired her for "having a go " and coming last. Seems nothing is truly honest in sport these days.

I doubt she even knew. She still had a go as far as I am concerned

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well it is the Olympics, nothing more needs to be said.