A year in Thailand..........

ShaunEdwards9

Hi Guys,

I have visited Thailand (Pattaya) on quite a few occasions over the years and now I am seriously thinking about taking a year out of work to experience living in the land of smiles.

I could really do with any useful tips/information that isnt too obvious about living in Thailand.

Me and a friend are looking into renting a Condo in Jomtien so any advice you could possibly give would be much appriciated, I know this is vague but I have left if open for all aspects.....

Cheers in advance,

Shaun

Great idea , wrong location IMO.

Too commercial, to expensive, sometimes too busy and you will always be a tourist.

Now try the dark side

Somewhere between Soi Khaotalo, soi nernplabwan soi kho noi or Soi Siam,

Loads of good bars and cheaper accommodation, cafes, massages ETC and a great place to come back to after a night out in the brightside in other words beach road or walking street but you will still always be a tourist but not as blatant.

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1

Uncle Souties top tips......

Have plenty of money

She's not different

Beware of tall Thai's in high heels

And No she hasn't been working the bar only a month

You missed one important part. If they have a TGAU be afraid

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Have plenty of money

She's not different

You missed one important part. If they have a TGAU be afraid

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I also forgot to add one

Seeing as the OP is getting all this life changing advice are the posters who have given you all this free advice invited to the wedding ?

• Like 1

If you based your opinion of Thailand ourely on your Pattaya expefiences, you aint seen nkthing yet and thats a shame. Would you base your opinion of the UK from a stay in Blackpool? You see my point I think.

Spot on Chuck, Pattaya is a bit of fun on a holiday , but it certainly is not representative of living in Thailand; for the OP go out and explore a bit more, lots to see and experience.

Cheers for the advice guys so far... (And some of the mockery).

Would I judge uk on a trip to Blackpool? Well.... If I wasn't from the uk and I visited and liked it.... What's the problem with trying it long term? Yes I know Thailand has a lot more to offer, I will go further once I am over there for sure. Just I like the balance between partying and chilling/working out. So I thought jomtein is a great option for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Start with the basics; On what visa/permission to stay do you intend to live here for a year?

I was thinking of enrolling on a thai language course, that way I get to learn the language and get the visa Carib.... So you have any good suggestions? As I have heard the border runs are having problems?

Start with the basics; On what visa/permission to stay do you intend to live here for a year?

I was thinking of enrolling on a thai language course, that way I get to learn the language and get the visa Carib.... So you have any good suggestions? As I have heard the border runs are having problems?

Yes, doing border runs and getting one tourist visa after another is becoming more of a problem nowadays. At least you seem to know something about the present situation, which is encouraging.

ED Visas/stays is a subject I don't have that much knowledge about, but give it some time here and someone with that knowledge will be along. Take into account that Thailand, and a lot of the knowledgeable ones will go to sleep soon.

Try the "Thai visas, residency and work permits" section and you will find a lot of good and useful info there.

Re visa possibilities, are you over 50 ? If you have the income or funds available you could get a retirement visa, if you dont then Ed visa is an option although there may be changes that effect that choice in the near future, best to discuss options in the Visa forum.

If you are not going to be workin, the might be worth getting a double entry 60 day tourist visa from the embassy in the UK. That way no major commitment, and it gives you a chance to see if you like it here.

3 Thai consulates to obtain a visa in the UK.Used correctly a double entry 60 day tourist visa + rxtensions will cover you for 6 months. A good start to feel your way through.

After a couple of weeks he can apply for a marriage extension. tongue.png

• Like 2

But Sout, she's just visiting/waiting for her sister to finish her work

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

Edited by boike
  • Like 1

Yes, doing border runs and getting one tourist visa after another is becoming more of a problem nowadays. At least you seem to know something about the present situation, which is encouraging.

ED Visas/stays is a subject I don't have that much knowledge about, but give it some time here and someone with that knowledge will be along. Take into account that Thailand, and a lot of the knowledgeable ones will go to sleep soon.

Try the "Thai visas, residency and work permits" section and you will find a lot of good and useful info there.

Sound advice as always Carib.... Thanks for that.

I have visited Thailand on 5 separate occasions now and like to keep up to date what is going on.

Am 22 years off the retirement visa so that isn't an option.

But I quite like the thought of studying the thai language whilst I am over, at the end of the day if you are in a country for a good period of time it's only respectful that you do.

Working wise.... What's it like in terms of finding work for foreigners? If anyone could help with that it would be great!

Jomtien is a great spot to spend a year, research a condo in advance, you can get one from 5,000 per month to as high as you like depending on budget.

It will have air con and fan, small kitchen. The air is fresher and cleaner down jomtien than Pattaya and you get less rain.

Pattaya is a short distance away and only 10 Bht each way on the baht bus for when you want to hit the bright lights.

Many bars in Rompho market area, very quiet in low season, but busy in high season

I would recommend the Ed Visa, take all the hassle away from doing border runs.

Beach road is very long and can take 3 hours + to walk along it,if you want exercise and the foothpaths are in good order, without all the clutter and noise of beach road in Pattaya. There is a fairly large expat community there also. There are many things to do there and I would suggest you find something to do or you run the risk of spending your year sitting at a bar everyday sipping beer and complaining that there is nothing to do. Go for it and enjoy it, it will give a good indicator as to whether you can live there full time when it comes to retirement.

Try get a condo with a washing machine also, when on holidays, the laundrys are very handy and seem inexpensive, but when living there full time, the laundry seems very expensive. Also ensure that the electric and water rates are at Government prices before commiting to a years contract.

• Like 2

Jomtien is a great spot to spend a year, research a condo in advance, you can get one from 5,000 per month to as high as you like depending on budget.

It will have air con and fan, small kitchen. The air is fresher and cleaner down jomtien than Pattaya and you get less rain.

Pattaya is a short distance away and only 10 Bht each way on the baht bus for when you want to hit the bright lights.

Many bars in Rompho market area, very quiet in low season, but busy in high season

I would recommend the Ed Visa, take all the hassle away from doing border runs.

Beach road is very long and can take 3 hours + to walk along it,if you want exercise and the foothpaths are in good order, without all the clutter and noise of beach road in Pattaya. There is a fairly large expat community there also. There are many things to do there and I would suggest you find something to do or you run the risk of spending your year sitting at a bar everyday sipping beer and complaining that there is nothing to do. Go for it and enjoy it, it will give a good indicator as to whether you can live there full time when it comes to retirement.

Try get a condo with a washing machine also, when on holidays, the laundrys are very handy and seem inexpensive, but when living there full time, the laundry seems very expensive. Also ensure that the electric and water rates are at Government prices before commiting to a years contract.

I like thai, that's a great help thanks.

Could you recommended the options for 'things to do?' I wouldn't mind finding a job over there but abit stuck on that topic?

As me and a friend are going to stay there our budget is looking at 25k pm. Finding a condo is pretty hard work but we are putting the work into it. We preferably would like a one that isnt on a big site but has a decent pool and gym.... If anyone could suggest one that would be great!

Are you both going to sleep in the same bed in the condo, as I doubt you will get a 2bedder for less than 15,000, ed visa, 20,000, to the school,you av 300,000 between you for 1 year, you will be home in 6 months without a shadow of a doubt.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Shaun you will be able to live on 25k pm but you won't be living the high life for sure and you will need a strict budget. Let's say 10k for accommodation and renting a scooter and the rest for food and booze. Please don't come with the impression girlfriends are free. Even the high class girls need jewelry, handbags and Rolexes.

Regarding a job, what do you do in the UK and what qualifications do you have? Be honest and I may be able to point you in a direction.

It will take you three years minimum to get a grip on Thai unless you can already speak another language so that's a non-starter but under current visa rules if you study Thai you can get a one year visa, but that's another expense.

Anyway don't listen to much to all the horror stories you're a young guy with a return ticket so if things don't work out you can always go home.

Have plenty of money

She's not different

And the buffalo isn't really sick....

Oh, but she's different!