Burmese warship patrol seizes Thai fishing boat, lets fisherman flee

Lite Beer

Burmese warship patrol seizes Thai fishing boat, lets fisherman flee

Suthicha Sirirat

1405152207_1.jpg

PHANG NGA: A crew of 20 Thai fishermen who were captured by a Burmese gunboat patrolling Myanmar territorial waters yesterday, have been rescued at sea after they were allowed to escape overboard.

Admiral Totrathon Kajitsuwan, commander of the Royal Thai Navy Region 3 base in Phang Nga told the Phuket News that the Thai crew's fishing boat was assisted out to sea by an accompanying tug boat.

He said the tug-boat and fishing boat breached Myanmar waters, at the coordinates of 9 degrees latitude, 40 clicks north, and 98 degrees longitude, 14 clicks west – about 10 nautical miles west of Koh Chang (off the coast of Ranong).

“Considering the strong waves yesterday, the crew didn't think the Myanmar Navy would bother with patrol,” the admiral said.

But when their tug boat was overwhelmed by the strong waves and finally sank, the Myanmar Navy patrol spotted them and quickly moved in to seize their fishing boat. The Thai seamen were all allowed to jump overboard and swim back to Thailand.

Luckily for them, a friendly fishing boat and Thai patrol boat nearby came to the rescue, and brought the distressed crew membersl safely back to shore.

“I doubt their boat will be returned. I will inform the Fisheries Association and radio station about this and warn Thai fishermen to avoid breaching territorial waters of our neighbours. It's very dangerous,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/burmese-warship-patrol-seizes-thai-fishing-boat-lets-fisherman-flee-47322.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-12

But when their tug boat was overwhelmed by the strong waves and finally sank, the Myanmar Navy patrol spotted them and quickly moved in to seize their fishing boat. The Thai seamen were all allowed to jump overboard and swim back to Thailand.

For me personally, it's the empathic, kind, Buddhist behaviour of the region's people that I find so nice to behold.

• Like 2

"We're confiscating your boat, but we'll let you jump overboard in the heavy seas that sank your tug boat, and let you swim for it."

Sounds a lot like what pirates in the days of yore used to do (but with more fanfare and walking of planks and such).

(Or did the fishermen all jump overboard before Burmese ship arrived, so they wouldn't be arrested and tossed into a Burmese prison for awhile ? Or did the Burmese "let" them jump overboard as it would be less paperwork than dealing with 20 prisoners ?)

(Normally if there are people in the water (man overboard) all ships in the area try to rescue them. Seems odd that the Burmese would "let" them escape by jumping into rough seas, even if they were fairly close to land.)

• Like 2

"We're confiscating your boat, but we'll let you jump overboard in the heavy seas that sank your tug boat, and let you swim for it."

Sounds a lot like what pirates in the days of yore used to do (but with more fanfare and walking of planks and such).

(Or did the fishermen all jump overboard before Burmese ship arrived, so they wouldn't be arrested and tossed into a Burmese prison for awhile ? Or did the Burmese "let" them jump overboard as it would be less paperwork than dealing with 20 prisoners ?)

(Normally if there are people in the water (man overboard) all ships in the area try to rescue them. Seems odd that the Burmese would "let" them escape by jumping into rough seas, even if they were fairly close to land.)

10 nautical miles or 14km is a hell of a long way to swim for the vast majority of us. Thais aren't normally considered to be good swimmers, not even if they're fishermen or live by the sea. Having said that I don't think anyone would have found such a swim, in rough waters, to be like a walk in the park. These men were lucky indeed. If they were dropped just 500m from shore it wouldn't have been that bad, but this is negligence bordering almost on attempted murder if you ask me. No civilized country just drops men into the ocean allowing them to drown, even if they've committed a criminal act and especially not for having trespassed territorial waters like in this case. Despite all the negative press, there is no way Australia would ever do that. But then again it's not like Myanmar is a civilized country, as nice as that country is, but it's not like I'm surprised here.

Yes, in a civilized country, they would be sold as slaves and any women locked up for use in the sex industry

• Like 2

Maybe the Burmese Navy has heard about the abuse of Burmese nationals on board Thai fishing vessels?

As for the Thai fishing boats venturing into Burmese territorial waters, are they in seine?

Well they certainly could end up in Insein if they persist with territorial transgressions at sea!

• Like 1

Not easy to comprehend, but I guess the moral of the story is its ok to break the law if you don't get caught?

When I asked my Thai ex why everybody runs red lights in Thailand, she said, "No problem, not illegal if no police." Thai's believe something is not illegal unless you get caught. Not joking.

• Like 2

Not easy to comprehend, but I guess the moral of the story is its ok to break the law if you don't get caught?

When I asked my Thai ex why everybody runs red lights in Thailand, she said, "No problem, not illegal if no police." Thai's believe something is not illegal unless you get caught. Not joking.

Criminology 101:

No punishment = NO Crime

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Thai authorities may want to double check this with the Myanmar navy.

This story just doesn't seem to stack up right or make any sense.

What was a tug doing there?... Do they usually take a tug with them when poaching in others' waters, and why??

It's a very strange story... I don't believe it.

"...the Thai crew's fishing boat was assisted out to sea by an accompanying tug boat."

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I wonder whether the boats will be bartered for the Thai Junta tacking action against the Bermese held as slaves on the Thai fishing boats.

Take a look at the boats...

(1) I've never heard of trawlers being pulled to sea by a tug.

(2) The pictured 17+3 guys, looking at their clothes and hair, don't look as though they've spent time in the water

(3) The clothes are not typical of those worn by fishermen

There's something awry with this story I think.

And what news of the crew of the tug?

Edited by catterwell

morality of the story:

now its pretty clear -at least for the junta- thailand definitively need a subway!

Get out much do we?

attachicon.gifsub.jpg

so how u doin'?

whats about your examination? you know you should bring with you few others members(rubl, mrtoad), you might get a price for your group therapywhistling.gif

morality of the story:

now its pretty clear -at least for the junta- thailand definitively need a subway!

Get out much do we?

attachicon.gifsub.jpg

so how u doin'?

whats about your examination? you know you should bring with you few others members(rubl, mrtoad), you might get a price for your group therapywhistling.gif

Did your mum educate you like this?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=294879034020895&set=vb.100004964015487&type=2&theater

That would certainly explain you hit backs and anger, and your rhetoric regarding the need for group therapy. ;)

OK lets try for a little logic.

The boat that was being towed in all probability was without power, otherwise why would it have needed towing ?

The two boats would have been working together just what kind of fishing they would have been doing we don't know but it would seem to be static as one of the boats was without the ability to move on its own, possibly squid where the boats work at night staying in the same place attracting the squid with lights worked by a generator.

We were told that one boat sank, the one doing the towing, so the crew of that boat would have been in the water or possibly (probably) they got on to the unpowered boat which would have been drifting.

If that were the case then the boat which was afloat would have had no means to go anywhere except drift with the wind and waves.

So some questions arise

Were the boats in Burmese waters when the first one sank ?

If not then the boat that was afloat could have drifted unintentionally into Burmese waters.

Did the crew of either boat get off a distress call with their position?

I would say quite likely in fact probably certain as one of the boats had sunk and the other was without power. Yes they do have radio.

That would have alerted other boats in the vicinity who would have gone to their aid with the Burmese navy getting there first.

The other two boats "A friendly, (presumably Thai) fishing boat and the Thai patrol boat? must have been close to be able to spot the men in the water and the fishermen would have seen the Thai boats.

Did the fishermen jump overboard and swim to the Thai boats to avoid being taken by the Burmese ?

Probably they would have had no wish to get on a Burmese boat and be banged up in a Burmese prison, better to swim to a handy Thai boat.

If it happened in Burmese waters as stated then why is there not a hooha over the Thai patrol boat being there ?

I suspect it was very close to any demarcation between Burmese and Thai waters and of course there is no actual line drawn on the sea and quite possibly that line is in slightly different places on different charts so without agreed GPS positioning it would be very hard to tell which side of a line they were on unless they were well on either side.

Another question is: were the fishermen Thai or Burmese ?

We are told most of the crew on these boats are Burmese, Rohinga even,

More reason for them not wanting to get on a Burmese boat.

We are told the Burmese "Let them go free" in other words didn't try to stop them getting to the Thai boats.

Could be the Thai patrol boat had something to do with that, they would have been in radio contact.

Anyway the fishermen are safe and Burma has another fishing boat in its fleet.

'...allowed to escape overboard...', Thais never lose face, do they, but Thais don't often tell the truth, do they... LOL, allowed to escape overboard, tears running now, what a laugh, ha! Our, few, cow.rds' inspiration knew no limits either when I was in the service, reminds me of the laughs we, later, had at the mess about what they had said to defend themselves. Thailand, land of proud children...