marriage certificate no surname......

hi, my marriage certificate does not have my surname on it. only just found out. been married 3 three,blink.png was told at veitaine (spelling) that have to get it sorted!

been back to the local amper twice and have been told will not change certificate. have been given four bits of paper with stamps ect on, took them on visa run and was told by boss at veitaine, we will not give you visa next time. back again to amper, told get divorced and marry again..........? not really into that. any thoughts.

yes I wish I had spotted the mistake before..........

That really scuk.s. sad.png

When I got married (3+ years ago), the girl at the Amphur, asked me (I think 3 times) is this your name and tried to pronounce it. laugh.png

No idea though how to solve your predicament, but the divorce and the re-marry bit sounds logical (if the Amphur will not help), and it isn't that difficult, just in case also talk to your embassy as you would need to get the "Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry." again.

Good Luck and please keep us informed.

Edit 1: Maybe ask the question in "Ask the Lawyer section" - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/192-ask-the-lawyer/ - and see if they have a solution for you ?

Edited by MJCM

Was one of those bits of paper you got at the Amphoe a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry? Does it have your surname on it? If it does that should be enough because it is almost as good as a marriage certificate.

• Like 1

Was one of those bits of paper you got at the Amphoe a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry? Does it have your surname on it? If it does that should be enough because it is almost as good as a marriage certificate.

Good one !!!!!!!!!!!!! If it has, then it most certainly is a fault of the Amphur, but I think it's far fetched (as it the KR 2 and KR 3 should contain the same info), but well worth a look.

I think they can change the Kor Ror 2 and print out a new one.

You can not even get a get a new marriage certificate much less get any changes done as far as I know.

If that is the case, that would maybe (I think) solve the problem for the OP ?

Edit 1: UJ's suggestion is well worth a try Hank69

Edited by MJCM

someone in the:

1) obtaining the "you are single" doc from Embassy -> 2)translation -> 3) legalise at MFA -> 4) getting Married at the Amphur, must have screwed up badly (You can decide for yourself who was at fault here).

But this doesn't help the OP ONE BIT, but it serves as a warning to others. So People check (double check) your paperwork (and also the stamps immigration puts in your passport) as soon as you receive it. This could save you a lot of aggravation.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Getting divorced and getting married again is a bit extreme - you need initially to try to get the original/any amphur to correct the problem.

I had a similar problem. After obtaining an extension for 8 years based on marriage, the eagle eyed woman at immigration noticed that the date of my divorce from my first marriage was AFTER my marriage to my Thai wife. It had simply been entered incorrectly at the amphur and no one had noticed.

Sadly they throw out all the original paperwork after 2 years (or so they say).

I wont bore you with how hard this was to get sorted out, but it involved receiving something similar to what you have - an additional piece of paper explaining the mistake.

This was just an error on the Kor Ror 2, so I can only imagine the hassle involved in getting a marriage certificate altered.

I know it is going to be difficult to sort out and could take weeks even months, our more simple problem took a couple of weeks, but you need to keep battling away (politely of course), stating that it is not your fault and you would like the amphur (or anybody) to sort it out.

Each time they refused to make the change, they said only 'another person' could sort it out - so we said we would like to see that 'other person'. We saw a few 'other people' - but in the end it was sorted out in the amphur where we got married.

Mind you, it still did not involve altering the original document, they just gave us this additional piece of paper that explained the mistake.

Immigration accepts it though, so that is all that concerned me.

Good luck.

Edited by dsfbrit

Yes, this is how wrong entries in official records get handled in Thailand, an additional document to document the error and show what the correct information is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

thanks for all the replies! as ever a great source of info on here!!

the paper work I have is kor sor 2 I think....... on the first page it is just really a copy of the front of the marriage cert. ie no surname. on page two its says that we have requested a change in the cert. ie my surname.

when I went for the last visa run I had to see the boss veitiane, had too wait many hours, he said that it is still not right that my surname does not appear on the first page of the paper work. on my photo copy he made some notes, to this effect. he said I have to get this sorted by next visit!

at the local amper (where we were married) the lovely boss man says no ways is he changing anything! he looked at the notes too. I will try and go again to see if he can help, if not I will get the wife to phone the relevant office in bkk. thanks for all the advice, always a learning curve here!