Jet Skis

oldsailor35

I don't know about Phuket but I saw some in Pattaya when I was there in January...I also saw a poor soul being played in the old "you've damaged the jet ski and now you have to pay...quite a bit" scam...

These people really should be stopped as it damages Thailand's reputation as a tourism destination.

• Like 1

Well, do you see any on the beaches?

My question was "Are they allowed to operate"   do you understand this ?   If they are not there right now could be because of windy conditions.     Sooooo are they still allowed to operate.  facepalm.giffacepalm.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

If you want to ride a jet ski in Thailand it might work out less hassle and cheaper to purchase your own.

The majority of JS users are tourists, so why would they buy a JS.  Adding to that, do you really think that the JS mafia would allow you to use "their" beach to launch.

If you want to ride a jet ski in Thailand it might work out less hassle and cheaper to purchase your own.

How about setting up a company to rent quad skis? They only go about 45 mph and have at least four wheels, so safer than a bike, can take them in the sea, and very useful in Patong when the drains flood.

SDM

From the news I've read lately, they are not banned as of yet, but they are certainly thinking about banning them here… I'm all for banning them and all other commercial uses of the beaches. Public beaches are for the public to use, not for greedy encroachers to profit from!

• Like 1

Well, do you see any on the beaches?

My question was "Are they allowed to operate"   do you understand this ?   If they are not there right now could be because of windy conditions.     Sooooo are they still allowed to operate.  facepalm.giffacepalm.gifw00t.gif

Yes they are, and have been for the 34 years I have been here, They will stop them when they cannot entice anymore farang to lose their money.

• 5 weeks later...

This is one of the things that can be solved..I came here first in 1979, Pattaya was a lot simpler then. This jet Ski scam is an embarrassment to Thailand. Same thing with motorcycle rentals all over Thailand. Here the answer..Enlist a few operators with insured services, get the Thai police to back the program.( they are well suited to negotiate with the mafia influence)  This can be done through the gentle persuasion from the tourism ministry, advertise and promote these operators as legitimate companies.. Let the tourist know they have a choice to deal with reputable operators. Charge more, include insurance, and what ever fees the mafia needs to be satisfied...most tourists will choose to go with them...the slime balls will have to follow or go out of business! Let the mafia make their money...but take away the stain on Thailand.

Lawrence