Convert non-imm 'B'

Need some help from the experts! I currently have a non-imm 'B' and a work permit. I wish to stop working and naturally the visa and the WP will end. My boss is very helpful and will allow me to choose the date to end work.

My question is....

Can I easily convert to a spouse visa or a retirement visa without leaving the country? I prefer the spouse visa as I would still have the option to work if I wanted to.

Many thanks for any help.

You don't convert anything.

You change the reason for your extension from working to marriage or retirement when you have the financial requirements in place.

On the date or shortly before it shown on a letter from your employer stating you job is ending you would apply for a new extension.

Thank you for the reply. just so I am clear in my mind, what sort of time frame is required to change the nature of the nature of the visa extention? I believe I read somewhere that an extention based on marriage needs to be sent to Bangkok (I live in Jomptien, Chonburi). My boss is happy to post date the cessation of work date to meet my needs.

Also, I just soldier on with a non-imm 'B' ... no need to change to 'O' or 'OA' and no need to leave the country?

Thank you

There is no time frame involved, other than needing to season the required money in the bank before you go and apply for the extension either based on marriage or retirement.

With the correct paperwork the extension based on retirement will be given on the spot. For marriage it is of course a longer process, requiring you to come back after 30 days. But the application will be dealt with the same day.

No need to go abroad or change the visa. Only your reason for the extension changes.

Thank you for the reply. just so I am clear in my mind, what sort of time frame is required to change the nature of the nature of the visa extention? I believe I read somewhere that an extention based on marriage needs to be sent to Bangkok (I live in Jomptien, Chonburi). My boss is happy to post date the cessation of work date to meet my needs.

Also, I just soldier on with a non-imm 'B' ... no need to change to 'O' or 'OA' and no need to leave the country?

Thank you

"what sort of time frame is required to change the nature of the nature of the visa extention?"

You're seeking to be given an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand based on retirement or marriage, an "extension of stay," not a visa extension. Given the confusion that often reigns in these threads, the point is not simply an issue of pedantry.

And keep in mind if you plan to travel outside of Thailand, an extension of stay is not a visa, so you will need a re-entry permit or you will lose your permission to stay and quite possibly encounter difficulties with immigrations at a border crossing if you attempt to return to Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69

• 1 month later...

Went to Immigration in Jomptien today.

Story has changed somewhat. I was told that the school would cancel my WP and then I had to attend Immigration to cancel the Visa.

I said I wanted to change to an extension of stay based on my Thai spouse. Was told that I would have to leave the kingdom and apply for an non-imm O and to process the application on my return.

So it would appear that I do have to exit and return. Any help on the best place to do this?

All comments gratefully received.

Went to Immigration in Jomptien today.

Story has changed somewhat. I was told that the school would cancel my WP and then I had to attend Immigration to cancel the Visa.

I said I wanted to change to an extension of stay based on my Thai spouse. Was told that I would have to leave the kingdom and apply for an non-imm O and to process the application on my return.

So it would appear that I do have to exit and return. Any help on the best place to do this?

All comments gratefully received.

Apparently Jomtien do not want to change the reason for an extension. In another topic they used the army as an excuse for not doing it.

To get a single entry non-o based upon marriage Vientiane would be a good choice.