What is the current thai reglementation about exaust ?

DrAzTiK

3 days ago, I have been stopped by police for a standard driver license check in Chiang Mai. I showed my driver licence to the cop and I was allowed to go but then, another cop came to see me and told me that my exhaust was not allowed in THailand because of noise. ( my exhaust is a Yoshimura copy, quite loud but not so much)

I said to him that my exhaust was not so loud (dang nik noy) and I was allowed to go.

So I wonder now if custom exhaust are still allowed in Thailand considering what happened and also this article found on facebook :

http://fixedbikeworld.weebly.com/360736563629360436333591-3648361136213637365636183609360736563629----3612363636043585359936273617363436183627361936393629365236173656.html

Anybody could translate please ?

Maybe police is more relax about custom exhaust in Chaing Mai?

Judging by the video, the exhaust is legal if it passes that test of under 95Db at 5000 rpm measured 0.5 meters away at a 45 degree angle.

You could get a Db meter on your smart phone and measure your exhaust.

If it passes the 95 threshold, be prepared to pay fines.

If it stays under 95Db, then you might have to prove it to the cops trying to fine you.
Whether they think a phone is qualified to measure Db is another matter entirely.

• Like 1

BUT some cop's are saying that the exhaust has to be 'TIS' Thai Industry Standard stamped to be legal .. if they try that just point out all the passing cars and pickups with non standard tail pipes.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The new Kawasaki Z800 has a deluxe version available from the factory that has a smoked little windshield, gel tank protector, and an Acropovic exhaust. Or however you spell that. I don't know if it's available in Thailand, yet or ever. Interesting scenario though.

The new Kawasaki Z800 has a deluxe version available from the factory that has a smoked little windshield, gel tank protector, and an Acropovic exhaust. Or however you spell that. I don't know if it's available in Thailand, yet or ever. Interesting scenario though.

The Akrapovic that you can buy for Z800 is TIS stamped so it's legal in Thailand.

Does anyone have the actual law on this or knows how far back the TIS stamp applies. I have a Yoshi exhaust on the FZR, but that bike is a 1989. Thanks.

That bike was never legally imported (as in main distributor/dealer) into Thailand so nothing on it is TIS stamped!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Anyone have a picture of the TIS "stamp"?

TIS369logo.gif

Small correction TIS 369-2539 is for Protective Helmets for Vehicle Users. TIS 341-2542 is for Exhaust Systems. (For both the logo stays the same).

The TIS 341-2542 doesn't make the exhaust system legal, officially every motorcycle which has a modified exhaust system needs to be re-tested for exhaust emission...

Richard,

i was more interested in whether it is a sticker or is stamped/etched into the muffler?

My next quest is whether they all have to be tested in Thailand or will Thailand accept EU certification.

Judging by the video, the exhaust is legal if it passes that test of under 95Db at 5000 rpm measured 0.5 meters away at a 45 degree angle.

If it stays under 95Db, then you might have to prove it to the cops trying to fine you.

Whether they think a phone is qualified to measure Db is another matter entirely.

95db for bikes under 125.
99db for bikes over 125
Or at least it used to be.
But as they say at the discretion of.....

Richard,

i was more interested in whether it is a sticker or is stamped/etched into the muffler?

My next quest is whether they all have to be tested in Thailand or will Thailand accept EU certification.

The logo needs to be stamped or etched into the muffler. Often a sticker will specify that the exhaust is according to TIS 341-2542.

Also not forget that the TIS 341-2542 standard only specifies the way a exhaust system is made, materials, corrosion resistance and material thickness. It doesn't specify the amount of maximum emission of prohibited exhaust gasses...

About the maximum exhaust noise, we have to compare the maximum Thai exhaust noise to professional motocross bikes which are limited to 94dB... Most exhaust systems with a muffler will stay within the Thai rules....

By the way if you interested I have the full TIS 341-2542 specifications available... http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=256

Edited by Richard-BKK

Richard,

The logo needs to be stamped or etched into the muffler. Often a sticker will specify that the exhaust is according to TIS 341-2542.

Also not forget that the TIS 341-2542 standard only specifies the way a exhaust system is made, materials, corrosion resistance and material thickness. It doesn't specify the amount of maximum emission of prohibited exhaust gasses...

About the maximum exhaust noise, we have to compare the maximum Thai exhaust noise to professional motocross bikes which are limited to 94dB... Most exhaust systems with a muffler will stay within the Thai rules....

By the way if you interested I have the full TIS 341-2542 specifications available... http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=256

So does anyone have a picture of an Akropovic exhaust with TSI stamped/etched on it?

Richard,

So does anyone have a picture of an Akropovic exhaust with TSI stamped/etched on it?

Never seen a legal one yet.....

The Thai made ones like tsugiki are legal

I think but have yet to see an imported Leo vince or yoshi or akrapovic with a tis certification

Did this FB pic worry you?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

not much as all look like they are from scooters or cbr150s.

dont see any recognized brand among those.

i dont think so they dare on removing your pipe on the spot from a 300 k th or up bike.

Now's the time to save the number of the Thai policeman, (that most posters on TV seem to know), so that when stopped, the safety of your exhaust is just a speed dial away.

Anyway, that picture looks quite old. I got stopped by the police the other day in BKK. I was a bit worried about my exhaust, but after a quick license check, I was on my way.

police is a lot active nowadays. They put signs around downtown red lights so anyone crosses the line while waiting red light, 1000 thb!

Also, today got stopped after an underpass that i always take and everybody does before 09:00 rush hour. They let me go but with a stern warning after a polite 'katot krap' They also questioned my riding license - normally they never do! They were quite serious, sure they get pressurized from top!

Take it easy nowadays guys. i will not be using underpasses for a while so it means i need to leave my house 5 minutes earlier everyday! f.ck!

Edited by ll2

• 7 years later...
On 7/13/2014 at 6:47 PM, ttakata said:

Rave from grave it seems the same applies today as yesterday at local DLT.