Work permit application: How long needed to get a work permit

I work in Bangkok and will stop working in the company that employs me on Thursday.

I'll have the work permit and extension of stay cancelled, and will apply for a 7-days extension of stay the same day.

I am going to work in another company located in Chiang Mai. I will apply for a new work permit and for a 1-year extension of stay there.

My concern is that the immigration usually asks to see the work permit while processing the 1-year extension and I am not entirely certain the work permit will be delivered within 7 days.

My questions are:

- Is 7 days enough?

- If not, would my application for the extension, sans work permit, be processed anyways (perhaps with showing some sort of work permit application proof)?

- If not, where is the best place to get a new non-immigrant B in the region? Vientiane?

Thanks in advance!

Joe is correct. Most employers need about 3-4 weeks. You'll almost certainly need to do a visa run. Technically, it's illegal to re-enter Thailand on a tourist visa of you aren't a tourist, but getting a non B could also be tricky due to time contraints in getting the letter of approval. If you take 20k on you (as proof of tourist funds) on returning to Thailand from Vientiane then you should be fine. If you have anything like a contract from your new school/phone number/degree papers etc then take them with you in case you get refused entry as a tourist (if you're REALLY unlucky, the official may look at the fact you've just had a WP and therefore, wonder how the heck you're suddenly a tourist). I doubt it, so don't sweat too much, but be prepared for anything that could go wrong.

Not sure why it's such a hassle to change employers, but it may be that some Gov schools didn't like their better teachers leaving for pastures new. Quite easy for a few school bosses with contacts to arrange something that suits them (perhaps...just a rumour).

If you make it tricky to change employers, people will stay. Thai logic lol!

I think 7 days will be a bit tight to get the work permit done.

Vientiane would be good for the non-b but you will need a letter of approval for the work permit application to get it,

Yes I was just reading about this. I think we'll have enough time to apply and get the WP3 Work Permit application.

Just in case, do other consulate request that letter of approval too?

Yeap could be 7 days it could be 7 months, this is not a question easily answered

If I recall well, on the work permit application is stated 4 weeks. However, it has (in my case) never taken more that a couple of weeks.

Yeap could be 7 days it could be 7 months, this is not a question easily answered

If I recall well, on the work permit application is stated 4 weeks. However, it has (in my case) never taken more that a couple of weeks.

Had two WPs. One took just under 4 weeks and the other about 2 and a half weeks. Hopefully, your employer won't stall on getting you a WP for 3 months as has been the case for many in the past (sort of a probationary period). It wasn't too risky a few years ago (non B 90 day visa run could easily be done and the school could vouch for you as waiting for a WP). Not any more though. Perhaps tell them about the new regs for visa runs etc and that they need to get cracking asap if they try that 'probation' nonsense. Always remember, it's your neck on the line, not theirs.

Sorry. Just realised he may not be teaching. Thanks, Soutpeel, for being polite as per usual.rolleyes.gif

My mistake.

Edited by GoonDizzy

Vientiane would be good for the non-b but you will need a letter of approval for the work permit application to get it,

Yes I was just reading about this. I think we'll have enough time to apply and get the WP3 Work Permit application.

..... Just to rephrase: I was just reading that the Letter of Approval can only be obtained once a WP3 Work Permit application has been successfully filed and a WP3 Receipt issued. So I think we will have enough time to get the Letter of Approval ready. If not I will just wait for it to be ready and posted to me in Vientiane.

Having said that, do you know if a WP3 Work Permit receipt would be accepted by the immigration?

As you are already in Thailand your should use form WP1 (attached below) to apply for your new Work Permit.

Your new employer can start this process now.

As to how long will it take, as has been posted it can take anything from 7 days to 7 months, but hopefully not more than a month if everything is straightforward..

Depending on who your employer is, plus if they can get the Work Permit papers filed correctly this week along with all the paperwork compiled ready for a new extension, then Immigration may accept the WP1 Filing Receipt in lieu of the new WP and look at directly issuing a 2.1 Extension to follow on from your current extension, that is assuming that your current employer is co-operative and will hold off cancelling your existing WP for a few days whilst you try to sort out a new extension.

Difficult to achieve, but theoretically possible.

If you can't get a back to back extension then you need the Letter of Approval from labour to apply for a new 90 day Single Entry Non Immigrant 'B' visa at a Thai Consular facility, to close the circle for your new WP.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

As you are already in Thailand your should use form WP1 (attached below) to apply for your new Work Permit.

As to how long will it take, as has been posted it can take anything from 7 days to 7 months, but hopefully not more than a month if everything is straightforward..

Depending on who your employer is, plus if they can get the Work Permit papers filed correctly this week along with all the paperwork compiled ready for a new extension, then Immigration may accept the WP1 Filing Receipt in lieu of the new WP and look at directly issuing a 2.1 Extension to follow on from your current extension, that is assuming that your current employer is co-operative and will hold off cancelling your existing WP for a few days whilst you try to sort out a new extension.

If you can't get a back to back extension then you need the Letter of Approval from labour to apply for a new 90 day Single Entry Non Immigrant 'B' visa at a Thai Consular facility, to close the circle for your new WP.

Good Luck.

My current employer isn't too cooperative. My next employer is (I'm on the company board) and already has all the paperwork ready. The 2 companies are located in different provinces; I am not sure what did you mean by "2.1 Extension to follow on from your current extension," please advise.

Good Luck.

My current employer isn't too cooperative. My next employer is (I'm on the company board) and already has all the paperwork ready. The 2 companies are located in different provinces; I am not sure what did you mean by "2.1 Extension to follow on from your current extension," please advise.

National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.1 Working in the Kingdom of Thailand - standard extension for employment.

Then try and get your new employer to file for the WP now and get the WP1 receipt plus the other extension papers to Immigration in your new area before your existing extension expires.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

SBA, on 13 Jul 2014 - 19:14, said:
Soutpeel, on 13 Jul 2014 - 18:55, said:

I've worked in Thailand more than 35 years.

Total of 5 different employers, numerous yearly renewals.

Initial applications and renewals at: Main labour office in Bkk, Nontaburi, Pathum Thani, Rayong, Chiang Mai.

New or renewal it has never taken more than 4 working days.

But in all cases the documentation was perfect.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Based on the new crack down on rejecting entry of "non tourists" using either visa exempt or tourist visa... Was wondering about some on in this situation...

Previously working and then either switching jobs or looking for new job...

They would not qualify for non B until having proper paperwork from new job ..

And obviously not a tourist ... So what will happen ?

Will they be rejected at boarder? Or will they let these types get 1 tourist visa or 1 visa exempt entry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have actually an additional question. I have always cancelled my work permit before the extension of stay. Now I read on the cancellation form the following:

" Work permit cancellation can be done after a holder resigned from a job or an employer laid off a holder. And that is not limited time for cancellation. "

So can the work permit can indeed be cancelled after the extension of stay?

Immigration will want a letter from your employer stating your last day of employment. Some will also want a form from the labour office that your WP has been cancelled. Most will at least ask about that.

I have the letter and plan to go to Chaengwattana. Would that be sufficient?

If u got your papers together go to one stop visa wp place in dtac building takes no more than 2 hours u get wp and a new 1 year visa I just did it 2 weeks ago...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Isn't 'one-stop' for BOI companies only?

Oh maybe I really not sure... but in my case company got a lawyer to do it all I just meet them there out in just over an hour with wp and 1 year multi entry staff there super nice and helpful.. very impressed! !

I would like to ask what would be total cost for employer per year for employing farang on minimum 50 000 salary.

How much tax insurance extensions etc. What is the cost of B visa and permit per year from a employer side?

Tax is personal not paid by employer but by individual 50k I think about 20% company have to just pay around 3% plus a few hundred baht welfare..

both businesses I have worked for over the last 9 years have paid all my taxes as well as my share of the social

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

Tax is personal not paid by employer but by individual 50k I think about 20% company have to just pay around 3% plus a few hundred baht welfare..

U mean company pays 20% tax for that farang?

Thats 10 000 bath a month

Or farang would have to pay 10000 from that 50k

Edited by mataleo